Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New York Dusk  (Read 4727 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
New York Dusk
« on: August 28, 2012, 01:55:06 pm »

Taken through a window glass, at 6400 ISO, 1/10s, f/4 (Canon 60D with 70-200/4 L IS), using a monopod.

New York Dusk by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:33:31 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: New York Dusk
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:31:52 pm »

Very nice, Slobodan, a little soft because of the glass, but "sharpness" is a novice's fixation.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 03:44:36 pm »

Russ, I provided technical details (which is not something I often do) to indicate that almost everything was conspiring agains sharpness: shooting through (thick) glass at an angle, high ISO, fully open aperture, low speed, monopod (instead of a tripod). Some sharpness was also gone with noise reduction (in LR4). I was surprised it is as sharp as it is. The only thing working for it was in-lens image stabilization.

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:27:20 pm »

Why does it need to be sharper.  It is a successful capture of a rather beautiful moment rather than a catalogue picture of an architect's phallus (or group[ of same).

Cheers,

W

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 06:25:04 pm »

Exactly!!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 06:51:00 pm »

I think all four of us agree on sharpness.

However, we wouldn't be card-carrying forum members without at least a bit of an obsession with sharpness  ;) ;D

Thus I am including a before & after comparison at !00% (the after includes all other adjustments, not just Detail tab). I think LR4 did an admirable job in preserving detail, in spite of a rather aggressive (75) noise reduction:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:27:37 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

WalterEG

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »

I am not sure that I don't prefer the BEFORE version.  I never found grain objectionable (strange for a large format fan) and I seem to think the same of noise.

Cheers,

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 07:30:23 pm »

However, we wouldn't be card-carrying forum members without at least a bit of an obsession with sharpness  ;) ;D

Thus I am including a before & after comparison at !00% (the after includes all other adjustments, not just Detail tab). I think LR4 did an admirable job in preserving detail, in spite of rather aggressive (75) noise reduction:

Now I am really quite impressed with that NR, I knew there must be something in LR4 that I needed and that might well be it - thanks for posting  ;D

Dave

RSL

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:40:55 pm »

Well, I'm too old to use the term "awesome," so I'll just say, fine work Slobodan.

francois

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:00 am »

Great image, I like the contrast between the smooth sky and the geometric/angular shapes of the skyscrapers…
Francois

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:18:58 am »

Now I am really quite impressed with that NR, I knew there must be something in LR4 that I needed and that might well be it - thanks for posting  ;D

Dave

I use the same sharpening tools are in the RAW editor. I will sometimes use this in my work flow prior to doing any further adjustments in Photoshop and do my final sharpening later in the process. Of course, I've never gotten the hang of LR so that has to be my new quest in my "retired" stage. Boy, I love not going to work.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:24:50 am »

However, we wouldn't be card-carrying forum members without at least a bit of an obsession with sharpness  ;) ;D

Thus I am including a before & after comparison at !00% (the after includes all other adjustments, not just Detail tab). I think LR4 did an admirable job in preserving detail, in spite of rather aggressive (75) noise reduction:

This is a revelation for me, I really have to sit down and learn how to properly work on my photos, sharpening and noise reduction being a very good start.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 11:43:29 am »

"sharpness" is a novice's fixation.

I don't know how in the world you can say that. I totally do not understand that comment.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 11:54:19 am »

I don't know how in the world you can say that. I totally do not understand that comment.
+1

Sharpness is always good, except when you want something soft.  It is rare that an image shouldn't have a sharp element. It happens, but it is rare.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 12:13:56 pm »

I use the same sharpening tools are in the RAW editor. I will sometimes use this in my work flow prior to doing any further adjustments in Photoshop and do my final sharpening later in the process. Of course, I've never gotten the hang of LR so that has to be my new quest in my "retired" stage. Boy, I love not going to work.

That's kind of sad; I wish like hell that I could go back to work!

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 12:33:28 pm »

People obsessed with sharpness usually produce images whose only redeeming quality is... sharpness. You know, the classical Ansel Adams quote: "Nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."

RSL

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 01:01:56 pm »

Hi Walt, I can say that because it's true. I'd guess you're an equipment guy rather than a photograph guy. If you want to see some serious discussions about sharpness go to the Nikonians site where we learn all about bodies and lenses and how sharp they can be. Most of these guys don't actually make pictures; they mess around with equipment, getting more and more sharpness. That's okay, but it doesn't have much to do with making good photographs.

Slobodan said it all in his statement above this one.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 01:06:05 pm »

That's kind of sad; I wish like hell that I could go back to work!

;-)

Rob C

You didn't teach high school in an American public school...where the kids have more liberty, rights and priviledges than the teachers...gee, let's not hurt their feelings, ya know. Pffffftttttttttt!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 02:07:59 pm »

Slobodon, I'm familiar with AA quote. I do think he spent a lot of time in achieving critical sharpness in the images. I just picked up Ellitt Porters book (old) on Iceland. Very sharp AND beautifully captured.
Russ, No I'm not an equipment guy, but having spent most of my career in comercial photographyt, sharpness was Very important. Spending much time with loupe on groundglass swinging and tilting and stopping down till the image was sharp.

I agree that sharpness is not everything, but it is very important, and in no way only a fixation of novices.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 04:07:34 am »

You didn't teach high school in an American public school...where the kids have more liberty, rights and priviledges than the teachers...gee, let's not hurt their feelings, ya know. Pffffftttttttttt!

Chris, that's the British way; but then, don't we always end up swallowing the message from out west? Look at radical feminists: ruined life for many an otherwise happy girl with all those bizarre notions of changing the ways of Mother Nature... Not to mention what the madness did for pin-up snappers and their models, of course.

Perhaps a fitting summation came from a neighbour who, now approaching 70, remarked that there was a time when if your bum didn't get smacked in the office, and if nobody tried to date you, you felt you were slipping... Nowadays, it appears that even asking a student out can be construed as sexual harassment... of course, if I were to ask one out, it probably would be, but only after everyone had collapsed on the floor laughing.

Such is Life, such is progress.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up