Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR/ACR Updates  (Read 3907 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
LR/ACR Updates
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:22:34 am »

Release Candidate (RC) versions of LR 4.2 and ACR 7.2 are available...

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

mac_paolo

Re: LR/ACR Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:05:47 am »

I tried to resist... downloading LR 4.2RC right now :)

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:10:59 am »

I think I shall be able to resist!  I did use the 2 RCs for LR4.1, but the bug fixes announced in LR4.2 RC have little or no impact on me, nor do the additional supported cameras, so I think I'll wait for the release version this time.

mac_paolo

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:17:33 am »

I think I shall be able to resist!  I did use the 2 RCs for LR4.1, but the bug fixes announced in LR4.2 RC have little or no impact on me, nor do the additional supported cameras, so I think I'll wait for the release version this time.
You know, Adobe really can't measure speed improvements and claim them in a changelog.
I didn't find any issue that bothered me neither, but still the hope for a better performance persists :)

francois

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:48:30 am »

You know, Adobe really can't measure speed improvements and claim them in a changelog.
I didn't find any issue that bothered me neither, but still the hope for a better performance persists :)

Did you see any speed improvements?
Francois

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 07:39:26 am »

I installed LR 4.2RC this morning and it feels a bit more snappy, but I can't say for sure. LR 4.1 was running really ok for me. MBP 2012 15" i7 2.6Ghz quad core, 512GB SSD, 16GB ram.

francois

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:31 am »

I installed LR 4.2RC this morning and it feels a bit more snappy, but I can't say for sure. LR 4.1 was running really ok for me. MBP 2012 15" i7 2.6Ghz quad core, 512GB SSD, 16GB ram.

Hans,
Thanks. I'll download it tonight and give it a run.
Francois

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 02:01:13 am »

With LR 4.1 my IQ180 files took about 10 seconds to display in the Develop module - the Loading... message seemed to take forever.  Zooming to 100% was pretty quick once it was loaded ... sharp right away. (12core 3ghz MacPro with PCI SSD drive with OS and apps and 4 drive raid for images storage, 64 gigs of ram).

It appears LR 4.2 changes the process so it is substantially faster ... if I'm at Fit or Fill and move to another image, it only takes about 4 seconds for that image to appear and be sharp.  If i immediately zoom to 1:1, it will take 4 or 5 more seconds.  If however I wait for 5 or so seconds, then zoom to 1:1 it's almost instant.  So it appears to be building a 1:1 preview in the background and doesn't wait to display the screen resolution one for that 1:1 to finish.  (certainly speculation on my part , I'm sure the engineers have a much more elequont way to describe what they did ... whatever it was TY TY TY !)

The local adjustment brush also seems snappier, and the develop module sliders seem to update much more robustly ...

for me, LR 4.2 is much snappier.  d800 files and NEX 7 files only take a second or so.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:50:39 am by Wayne Fox »

mac_paolo

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 02:05:42 am »

Did you see any speed improvements?
A little bit faster. Unfortunately I didn't take time measures nor planned an objective test platform.

francois

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 04:45:12 am »

I gave LR 4.2 RC a try this morning and my findings are along those from Hans, Wayne and Mac_Paolo, Lightroom is definitely snappier... more responsive. I haven't experienced any issue so far.
Francois

stamper

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 06:52:12 am »

I have installed the up date and I find the sliders and the opening of an image snappier. Before the install I was happy with the performance.

stevebri

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 09:55:46 am »

Wayne,

That must be the most powerful 'puter known to man (outside of NASA).

Do the lights dip down your street when it boots up...?

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up