Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ladybower Reservoir from Bamford Edge, The Peak District  (Read 5236 times)

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
Ladybower Reservoir from Bamford Edge, The Peak District
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:09:24 pm »

Hi,

Thought I'd share this photo taken in the Peak District in the UK, showing the the classic view out over Derwent and Ladybower Reservoir from Bamford Edge in the Peak District.

Ended up with a somewhat precarious tripod setup for this image, with one leg almost hanging over the 100ft drop below! It was then a case of waiting around until the sun just slid behind a cloud - enough to take contrast levels down to a manageable level and also produce some 'god-rays'. Even with a 3-stop grad I still needed to lift the foreground in post, but overall was pretty pleased with the final result.

Original:

LR4 Version with slightly more retained highlights in the top left:

Flat RAW:

Regards,
Andrew.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:07:57 pm by AndyS »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Ladybower Reservoir from Bamford Edge, The Peak District
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:11:08 pm »

Beautiful photograph! Any chance of taming the sun still further. I need sunglasses just to view it! ;)
I little more detail in that area might just strengthen the overall composition.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:55:53 am »

Fantastic image, you got everything right starting with a good light and very nice cloudy sky. Terry's suggestion is interesting but don't ruin the image to bring down the sun's brightness.

Bravo
Francois

Paolo-F

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:02:21 am »

Fantastic photo! I agree with Terry's suggesto for the sun...
Paolo

AndyS

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:31 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. Might take a look at that top-left corner. The image was processed in LR3 originally and haven't had a proper look at re-processing with the LR4 PV2012 - however a cursory look as shown that it enables more recovery around the sun, so worth some further investigation I think.

Cheers,
Andrew.

francois

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:10:52 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. Might take a look at that top-left corner. The image was processed in LR3 originally and haven't had a proper look at re-processing with the LR4 PV2012 - however a cursory look as shown that it enables more recovery around the sun, so worth some further investigation I think.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Andrew,
Do try with the newer LR version. LR4 offers a lot more than LR3 (and you can keep PV2010 develop settings if you find them more pleasing).
Francois

AndyS

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 02:25:37 pm »

Andrew,
Do try with the newer LR version. LR4 offers a lot more than LR3 (and you can keep PV2010 develop settings if you find them more pleasing).

Hi,

Have added a LR4 image to the original post, with some better highlight retention in the top-left. Any more reduction in the highlights led to some harsher edges around the nearby clouds, so think I'm happy with where it is now - thanks for the comments.

Some of the other toning is also slightly different due to the inherent nature of the PV2012 process.

Regards,
Andrew.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 02:37:46 pm »

Hi,

Have added a LR4 image to the original post, with some better highlight retention in the top-left. Any more reduction in the highlights led to some harsher edges around the nearby clouds, so think I'm happy with where it is now - thanks for the comments.

Some of the other toning is also slightly different due to the inherent nature of the PV2012 process.

Regards,
Andrew.

Good shot, Andrew! The new version is a testament to the powers of LR4, too: there's more detail visible in the land, particularly on the left.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:38:06 am »

The improvement is noticeable and well worth the effort. Thanks for posting both versions.
Francois

AndyS

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:07:29 pm »

Hi,

Just for fun I've also now added a flat unprocessed conversion of the RAW from LR4 - makes you realise how much flexibility shooting raw gives, and how good we have it with tools like LR.

This was with a 3-stop grad, which was all I had with me at the time, so the exposure was all about trying to get as much detail as I could in the foreground without completely blowing out the sky.

Regards,
Andrew.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 03:41:23 am »

My solution for this type of image is to open it in PS and set a layer fill mode to yellow and blend mode to multiply. Use the Blend if setting in layer blending options and target the highlight areas. This will put a faint yellow cast in the highlights which should nicely mask the burnt out areas surrounding the sun.

stamper

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 03:43:30 am »

This was with a 3-stop grad, which was all I had with me at the time, so the exposure was all about trying to get as much detail as I could in the foreground without completely blowing out the sky.

Unquote

No filter in the world will mask a burnt out area in an image. Post processing is the answer.

AndyS

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 05:26:54 pm »

Hi all,

My photo from this post is actually in with the chance of winning a competition at the moment.

The competition is based upon the number of 'Likes' of the image and we've been encouraged to use social media to help our cause, so.....

If you feel like helping me out, and you're on Facebook, then please click on the following link and 'like' my image.

Link to Competition

Thanks for any extra votes,
Andrew.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 06:01:19 pm »

Do not have much to add to the already laudatory comments from others, except that I prefer the less "nuclear" green in the LR3 version.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 08:49:49 pm »

... I prefer the less "nuclear" green in the LR3 version.

+1. Very nice!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 07:53:17 am »

Nice shots.  ;D
I have to say that despite living close enough to that view to cycle there, I've ashamed to say that I've never been on that particular edge. Though usually when I'm around that area it's on my bike so I don't like to carry camera gear as it interrupts a nice ride. But I have been wondering about getting a m4/3 set up to then go and ride out to specifically do landscape work without being weighed down by heavy kit or other friends wanting to carry on riding.
Though I did take this shot with my phone whilst waiting for my friends to get up a track made almost unrideable by caterpillar tractor doing power line repairs. The pointy tip of the edge on left of shot is where I'm guessing you got your shot from Andrew. I'm shooting from just above the road and to the right of the Ladybower Bridge in your shot, looking back the towards your vantage point on Bamford Edge.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:07:31 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 08:05:54 am »

My photo from this post is actually in with the chance of winning a competition at the moment.
The competition is based upon the number of 'Likes' of the image and we've been encouraged to use social media to help our cause, so.....
If you feel like helping me out, and you're on Facebook, then please click on the following link and 'like' my image.

Link to Competition
A post on the photo amused me "Lovely until some damn airplane roars through." as last time I was above Ladybower, a Tiger Moth bimbled past.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 08:18:57 am »

How frequently do you get water going down the reservoir's plug holes or whatever they're called? Is it only after a prolonged period of very heavy rain, or more seasonal?

jjj

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 08:41:36 am »

You'll need an awful lot of rain before that happens as it was noticeably low a few weeks back.
Don't know what they're called actually. Overflows?

EDIT - Yup overflows it would seem, though they imaginatively also get called plugholes according to the captions to this shot.

There are quite a few of them around these parts - similar overflows in reservoirs surrounding Sheffield that is.

And here are some interesting pictures that were definitely not taken after heavy rain and how to get those sort of shots.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:55:37 am by jjj »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:12 am »

That was why I asked. I've only been there once and couldn't figure out the reservoir's normal level. I'll wimp out of abseiling though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up