Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lens quickdraw  (Read 4436 times)

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
lens quickdraw
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:33:46 am »

Very cool. Probably begging to be mugged in most cases though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1022605159/quikdraw-an-innovative-lens-holster

NancyP

Re: lens quickdraw
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:57:30 pm »

I would suggest that this would be targeted to event photographers who may not need the protection given by a case and who are in locations where mugging is not an issue. This looks like a great deal for a wedding photographer who carries more than 2 lenses on 2 camera bodies. Also, stage performance photographers would find this useful. I can't imagine pro sports photographers using it, as the long telephoto lenses weigh too much. Looking at the site, the main theft issue would be due to thief cutting through and stealing the belt to which the units are attached, as the locking mechanism seems to be multi-step. I still would prefer to have a closed lens case, as my main use is during hiking.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 01:13:06 pm »

Yes, and for some pro situations it used to make more sense to have separate bodies with lenses attached. You always knew which lenses you were likely to want to use before you set out; that way, you concentrated better instead of wondering about too many alternatives.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 06:26:55 pm »

I used to do that too, Rob, with my Leicas. I'd have a 50 on one body, an 85 on another body, and, sometimes a 35 or a 135 on a third. But that was before we got to the point where you need a forklift to carry more than one lens. I always ROTFL when I see rigs like this one. Last year in St. Augustine there was a guy walking around with, I guess, a Cotton Carrier and three DSLR bodies with three long lenses on them. If the idiot had pulled up one of his cameras to make a shot he'd have toppled over from the imbalance. But MAN, he was showing that he had a lot of really expensive equipment, and therefore must be a great photographer.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 06:38:52 pm »

I used to do that too, Rob, with my Leicas. I'd have a 50 on one body, an 85 on another body,

Rus,

I am just being a teasing pedant but I suspect it would have been a 90mm on a Leica (although, perhaps they did do an 85mm for the R series?).

Cheers,

W

RSL

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:32:10 pm »

Walter, I had a Leica M4, M2 and IIIf. And yes,I had an 85mm f/1.8. I'm not sure now, but I think it was a Canon lens. The 50 I used to use most of the time was a Summicron f/2, but I also had a Canon 50mm f/1.2. That was a lot of glass for that relatively small camera, and it blocked too much of the viewfinder.

I didn't walk around with this stuff. I carried a single camera with the Summicron when I was on the street, but when I'd do a formal shoot, like the dance class I worked on nearly every Saturday for the best part of a year, I'd throw all three cameras and a lot of film into a bag and head out.

I think this shot was with the 85.

WalterEG

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »

Thanks for the enlightenment Russ,

Thanks also for the glorious pic.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:46:37 am »

Hi Russ,

I have no problem agreeing with Walter: indeed a beautiful, moody shot that makes the young dancers look wonderfully confident and happy to be where they are. Shots like that are what turn normal happy snaps into dross best left unmade, like Tracey's bed. Love the rim light on the front girl's head.

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 10:46:48 am »

Here are three more from that shoot. It's been years since I thought about that dance class shoot, but when we started talking about lenses it all came back. All these kids are now middle-aged women, some pushing for late middle-age.

The light always was marginal. It was beautiful because of the way the windows in the big room were arranged, but it was a long way from bright. I had to shoot with Tri-X or Ilford HP-4, and sometimes I'd load one camera with a plan to push the film pretty hard.

The only reason I have 244 of the pictures from that shoot in digital form is that a few years ago after the husband of the wonderful ex ballet dancer who taught those classes died, I scanned my favorites and made her a comb-bound book with a collection of the kids.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 01:19:05 pm »

Thanks for sharing those photos and the stories along with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up