Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting with a Pentax 645D  (Read 7284 times)

Nicolas Claris

• Claris image builder, agence de publicite, photographie internet et presse Bordeaux, video, web agency, photo, communication, advertisement, agency
Shooting with a Pentax 645D
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:43:36 am »

Hello all
This is just to let know those interested by the Pentax 645D that I have created a blog to show real life use of this amazing camera.
This blog is written both in English and French.
It can be read there.

Hope you'll find interesting!

Nicolas Claris

• Claris image builder, agence de publicite, photographie internet et presse Bordeaux, video, web agency, photo, communication, advertisement, agency
Re: Shooting with a Pentax 645D
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:08:14 pm »

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 07:47:46 pm »

Nice blog.  :)
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:07:01 pm »

Very nice Nicolas. Thanks for sharing. Weren't you shooting with a Hy6?

Eduardo

Nicolas Claris

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:11:47 am »

@ ndevlin: thanks  :)

@ Eduardo:
Good memory! (don't change the RAM banks!).
In fact the Hy6 was a loan from Sinar to test it on the field (and in the air!).
After a year, as I couldn't afford it, I had to send it back and shoot again with a 1DS3 (which btw is for sale http://mnclaris.free.fr/1DS3.html).
But the MF virus were well embedded… So I made the jump back to MF buying the Pentax.
I'm glad I did!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:10:09 am »

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards
Erik

Hello all
This is just to let know those interested by the Pentax 645D that I have created a blog to show real life use of this amazing camera.
This blog is written both in English and French.
It can be read there.

Hope you'll find interesting!
Erik Kaffehr

Pics2

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:09:41 am »

So, is Capture One 7 supporting Pentax 645D? And what about tethering, is it possible now with this camera?

Nicolas Claris

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:21:16 am »

# Pics2
Capture One is not supporting more than V6 the Pentax 645D PEF files.
But you can shoot in camera DNGs or convert your PEF to DNG with Adobe Converter.
You'll miss the lens correction only, but not the perspective corrections.

I don't shoot tethered, but I know that Pentax has a home made sw for that (see)
Don't ask me how it works as I don't have it!

EDIT
I guess that if your files are directed to a Capture One Hot folder, you may see them almost "instantly" in C1…
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:44:00 am by Nicolas Claris »

NickyTaylorphoto

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:43:18 pm »

Great thread.

I have just ordered my NEW 645D camera. Which should hopefully arrive tomorrow. Im over im florida right now so will be out and about testing out my new toy. I look forward to following your new site. :)

tsjanik

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 05:24:55 pm »

Very nice Nicolas.  
I'm surprised by the lack of distortsion in the 25mm shots, is that a result of processing or the lens itself?

Tom
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:33:04 pm by tsjanik »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:53:00 pm »

Hi,

I hope you enjoy the 645D!

Best regards
Erik

Great thread.

I have just ordered my NEW 645D camera. Which should hopefully arrive tomorrow. Im over im florida right now so will be out and about testing out my new toy. I look forward to following your new site. :)

Erik Kaffehr

Nicolas Claris

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 05:24:13 pm »

Hi,

I hope you enjoy the 645D!

Best regards
Erik

I'm sure he will!

Nicolas Claris

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 05:29:54 pm »

Very nice Nicolas.  
I'm surprised by the lack of distortsion in the 25mm shots, is that a result of processing or the lens itself?

Tom
Hi tsjanik
The 25 has few distortion, and LR4 handles them quite well.
But even devellopped with Capture One which does not support the 645 D files, the result is amazing provided that you have nothing to close (few inches) of the sides...

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:09:48 pm »

But you can shoot in camera DNGs or convert your PEF to DNG with Adobe Converter.

just a note - for Pentax cameras manufacturer itself provides an ability to convert PEF to DNG using OEM supplied Pentax DCU utility... which may or may not be the a little more correct way to get DNG from PEF, not that you will find a difference, just 2c

Nicolas Claris

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 09:14:44 am »

So, is Capture One 7 supporting Pentax 645D? And what about tethering, is it possible now with this camera?
Hi
just FYI, today I tried the Pentax software to shoot tethered…
After having updated the camera firmware to 1.20, installed on the Mac (under Lion OS) the "Pentax image Transmitter"  and set a hot folder in C1, I've been able to shoot tethered tests at first shot : )
Time lag between pressing the shutter and image to appear in C1 is 15s.
I can't compare to other system(s) but it seems quite acceptable speed.
Please note that no settings can be done from the computer, the only thing you can set is :
"Focus and release" or "release only". You can also save or not to the SD card in the same time.
Of course the in camera setting was to shoot DNG and not PEF.

BTY I have send a request to Pentax marketing dept. to give what needed to Phase so PEF files from the 645D can be supported by C1. If you're in the same case, it will help a lot if you send your own request to Pentax marketing guys (wherever).

Pics2

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 09:28:33 am »

Thanks for the info!
I was told that Phase One doesn't want to support Pentax files. Something about them being angry at Pentax because they offer 645D at so affordable price. I don't know if that was true.

Nicolas Claris

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 09:55:36 am »

I had numerous exchange with the guys from Phase on this subject.
Below is the more "significative" thru support case :

Support Case:
25. Oct 2012 18:4

To the attention of xxxx
Hi again
further to our discussion on the forum, I will gladly contact Pentax.

Would you have any person with email to suggest? in Japan? elsewhere?

For your information, my earlier support case on that subject as #98657

Kind regards

Nicolas
PS This camera deserves C1!!!

25. Oct 2012 19:04
Nicolas,
I, and the support department, unfortunately do not have a contact to provide you.
The permission necessary to support specific cameras is handled through the marketing department, where the demand is calculated against the available resources we have to implament support. The Pentax 645D is a very unique case as it is a Medium Format camera and to date no other manufacture of Medium Format Cameras has allowed us to use their RAW files, due to our production of Medium Format systems (Sinar, Hasselblad, Pentax, Leaf *prior to partnership). As such I do not hold out much hope that we will be allowed to support the Pentax 645D.
However, pressure on Pentax would certainly help to expedite support should it happen in the future.
Also, other avenues like Facebook and Twitter (aside from various forums) are an excellent way of getting exposure and "rallying the troops" for your request.

Kind Regards,
xxxx
Phase One Support
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:40:52 am by Nicolas Claris »
Pages: [1]   Go Up