Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft proof vs Print module Rendering Intent  (Read 1404 times)

kwalsh

Soft proof vs Print module Rendering Intent
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:14:05 pm »

Question for the Lightroom illuminati:

If I am soft proofing with Relative Rendering Intent and then move to the Print Module which has Perceptual set which intent will actually be applied to the print?

I ask because it appears to me that the soft proof setting is over-riding the print module setting in this case, however the UI isn't indicating this in any clear manner if it that is truly what is happening.

I guess I can do four prints with the different combinations as a test, but I was hoping someone knew the answer from experience.

(And yes, I know manually synchronizing them always would probably be the more safe thing to do but I somehow doubt I'll remember that and I do appear to frequently chose different rendering intents for different photos)

Thanks!

Ken

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Soft proof vs Print module Rendering Intent
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 10:58:52 am »

I believe that the soft proof and printer settings are independent, and you will have to set the printer settings to match what you used for the SP.

JeanMichel

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »

Hi,

In the LR4 Lula tutorial, the advice is to set the rendering intent in Print to the one used in the soft-proof. There is also really good advice about setting the print resolution, for example: upsampling to 360 if the native resolution is under that, and upsampling to 720 if the native resolution is over 360.
Jean-Michel

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:47:35 pm »

Toggle RelCol and Perceptual for output (print) profiles in soft proof. Decide what you prefer visually per image. Use that when you print (either with or without edits to a VC). The VC intent is honored in the Print module although you can over-ride that if not careful.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kwalsh

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:13:53 pm »

Thanks Andrew!  That almost perfectly answers my question.

I had created soft-proof VCs and selected a rendering and made a clarity change and then went straight to the print module and printed not noticing the print module rendering was set differently.  Nonetheless the prints seemed quite clearly to have used the soft-proof VC rendering intent (for these images the difference was quite obvious because they were very wide gamut sunset/twilight images).

I also sort of suspected that if I had started clicking things in the print module and actively selected the different rendering intent that perhaps the VC intent would no longer be honored but I hadn't tested that.

Anyway, your answer makes me believe my eyes and I'll also be careful to always check the print module rendering intent in the future so there won't be any ambiguity.

Thanks again,

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up