Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF8400/9400/6400 launched in Japan  (Read 33663 times)

aaronchan

Re: Canon iPF8400/9400/6400 launched in Japan
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 01:42:26 pm »

Canon's talented PIXMA group swallowed up both Oce and the iPF group. An exciting time over there with lots of talent coming together under one roof. Big changes to happen not soon but down the line. 

This is only happening in USA.
Canon Asia Pacific is not.
They are only merging LPF and OCE together.
And Pixma still under controlled by the small format printer department.

Aaron

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »

Speaking of PIXMA - by any chance, do you happen know what's the PIXMA Pro-1 ink formulation? Is it LUCIA EX with LGY, CO instead of G,B or maybe the whole inkset is reformulated?

Excellent question. It's Lucia EX with the blue replaced by a gloss optimizer. The extra gray replaces either the red or green - I forget! I'm on the road and don't have that info in front of me. I'm excited about that inkset. 5 blacks and grays is pretty cool...
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »

Excellent question. It's Lucia EX with the blue replaced by a gloss optimizer. The extra gray replaces either the red or green - I forget! I'm on the road and don't have that info in front of me. I'm excited about that inkset. 5 blacks and grays is pretty cool...

Thanks for the information, it makes Pro-1 an appealing supplement to a 24-44" printer.

It also makes me wonder if (at some point in future) we could swich B,G<>LGY,CO inks in larger printers and Pro-1 (in an old Epson x880 MK<>PK ink swich fashion)...
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »

This is only happening in USA.
Canon Asia Pacific is not.
They are only merging LPF and OCE together.
And Pixma still under controlled by the small format printer department

That's not what I'm hearing from the horses mouth. PIXMA, iPF and OCE are all merged in Japan and all R&D going forward is being done together. Total unification of technologies for devices small to big. They aren't the separate groups that they once were. Canon USA doesn't even do R&D.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 03:06:11 pm »

OCÉ still has R&D in Venlo NL to my knowledge. I could ask though. The solvent and UV curing flatbeds etc with their industrial piëzoheads are very much outside the range of Canon's thermal head technology. So is the OCÉ "marbles" inkjet printer that squirts heated resin through piëzoheads.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

deanwork

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 04:46:19 pm »

I couldn't agree with you more.

If Canon ( or HP in the past ) had ditched that blue channel for a light light gray then you would have the 100% state of the art killer oem printer/inkset that could do anything anytime on any media at the drop of a hat and fast. I guess it is the pre-press match people they are trying to please, as always.

I just don't understand them. Yes, with True Black and White the monochrome is totally neutral with No color inks used ( a tri tone) exceptionally permanent with 0 metamerism failure, but it is still a tri-tone. I'm doing a lot of it and it is impressive thanks to BowHaus.  With one more gray ( this is damn 12 ink system by the way) you have it all in one printer, with linearization in TBW with an Eye One.  the final nail in the coffin of the analogue darkroom. Good enough is nice but good enough is not excellence. I'm really sad they didn't do that. I just don't have the stomach to do it myself by diluting their light gray.

The new 60" er is a welcome addition though. Good for you Canon. It must take 10 men to move that sucker.

John

Personally, I think the Lucia EX inkset is the best one on the market and clearly an improvement over Epson's HDR inkset. I think they could improve it even further if they ditch the bronzy blue for a gloss optimizer and maybe the red for another gray. But it's the hardware platform that's getting long in the tooth.  I'd like to see a whole new iPF line of printers resigned from the ground up that resembles something modern like the Pro-1 ... or an Epson 9900, iPad, Mini Cooper, Porsche or something along those lines! A printer with super fast paper loading and unloading, a touch sensitive color screen, careful paper handling and less noise. It takes a few years for big change like that to happen at Canon.
[/quote]

deanwork

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 05:04:29 pm »

The simplest solution would be to offer the light light black as an alternative channel for those who would prefer it over the blue in that slot. Just make new profiles and your ready to go. No new printer needed just one more ink option.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2012, 03:53:48 am »

The simplest solution would be to offer the light light black as an alternative channel for those who would prefer it over the blue in that slot. Just make new profiles and your ready to go. No new printer needed just one more ink option.

I believe that a firmware update, bunch of profiles and two ink cartridges is all that's necessary for such conversion. We could choose between larger gamut or better neutrality and gloss optimization.

deanwork

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 01:37:36 pm »

And Epson could have easily done the same with the 9900 and or 11880.

aaronchan

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 02:34:52 pm »

It's impossible for the 8300 or 9100 since they have the second tank, if you want to flush the ink, you will have to lose whole lot of ink, not just the one in the tube.

deanwork

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 07:58:29 pm »

You just put in the ink cart and print out a purge charge of pure blue until it becomes light gray. Done it for years with Epson printers and monochrome inks.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Announcements...
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »

Seems that Canon in the US have announced the x400 series, but as yet I've not seen anything here in the UK.
Ah well, it took several months to catch up when the x300 range appeared.

The 6450 spectro attachment certainly isn't going to be winning any design elegance awards

I've updated the info at

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/printers/canon6400-8400.html
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

elisabeth russell

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 11:07:23 am »

Does anyone know whether it still has a curved printing path? My 9900 has been a bear and the print head is now dying as its grand finale; I'm looking into jumping ship and going with Canon but we do occasionally print on non-traditional thick media so I'd really like to keep that option open to our customers. Thank you very much for your help :)

Lis Russell

matthjones

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 01:01:29 pm »

Pretty sure they are using the same chassis as the previous units, so will have the same paper path.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2012, 01:10:04 pm »

Exactly, it's the same as iPF8300.

elisabeth russell

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

Thank you!

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:30 pm »

So... Not being familiar at all with Canon, how does its color gamut compare to the Epson 9900?  I understand the Canon has red and blue vs green and orange, just wondering if it's substantially better than the Epson 9900 overall, or just excels in different areas but has a similar gamut volume.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2012, 01:21:35 am »

I understand the Canon has red and blue vs green and orange, just wondering if it's substantially better than the Epson 9900 overall, or just excels in different areas but has a similar gamut volume.
The gamuts are similar in volume but not exactly the same in specific areas.  Epson has a slight edge on matte papers in gamut and dithering, while I think Canon has an slight edge in DMax for photo-black. But they're both excellent. Honestly for photo-black printing on gloss/semi-gloss papers, the gamut of both printers is good enough to not really be a concern. 
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

narikin

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:39 am »

IIRC, the gamut was very similar, but with minor shifts: in the Canon it was bigger towards the darker shades, the Epson in the lighter ones. or was it the other way around?  there are gamut maps about somewhere... very close in any case.  Canon's Yellow is more fade resistant, and that color is Epson's Achilles Hell in Aardenberg fade tests, again, iirc.

Strangely, the curled paper path in the Canon seems to handle scratch sensitive media better than Epson. EEF in roll form does not work in my Epson LF machines (minor surface scratches that Epson themselves confirmed were not fixable) but DO work on the Canon. Go figure.

I own both LF Epsons and Canons, so no bias.  I do love the Canons 100 job memory built into the machine, so that basically you can re-print something without even turning your computer on. Epson needs to get on that.  But I do love buying my 700ml Epson carts on eBay for much less $ when someone is selling their personal overstock. Canon LF ink you almost never see - not enough users.

narikin

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2012, 10:46:34 am »

try here for your answer:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Downloadable+Colorthink+Movie+of+3D+Gamuts+

but remember a little extra Gamut can be traded for longevity as the manufacturer sees fit. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up