Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF8400/9400/6400 launched in Japan  (Read 33661 times)

I.T. Supplies

Re: Canon iPF8400/9400/6400 launched in Japan
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »

From what I was told is the the newer models are updated on the software and hardware, but they have the same colors and cartridges the the x300 series have.  Only difference is that the chip for those models are unique and won't work in the other series models.  x300 inks won't work in x400 and vice versa, but same exact inks.  The color gamut should be cleaner and better resolution-even though it's the same inks.

We actually started selling the x400 series starting on 10/1.  Prices will show on our site as well as discounts available for each.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us for more information.  We are located in IL but have warehouses around the US.

sales@atlex.com

narikin

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2012, 03:09:20 pm »

The color gamut should be cleaner and better resolution-even though it's the same inks.
sales@atlex.com

can you explain what you mean by this?
same inkset = gamut is unchanged, whatever 'cleaner' may mean, I don't know.

Yes the dither might have the tiniest edge, but basically anyone who bought an ipf8300 would notice almost no difference in updating.

One good thing is the 60" machine finally moving up from 9100 to 9400.  It needed that, as it was lagging behind.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »

From what I was informed on from our purchasing person is that the colors from the IPF8300 are the exact same colors in the IPF8400.  Same cartridge but different chip so you couldn't use an ink from the 8300 in the 8400 and vise versa.  I'm just stating from what I heard.  Our company had a training session with our Canon rep, but I was out of the office that day.  I will know more about it next week when I get my training on the new series.  I wish I could be of more assistance now, but will know more next week.

Cleaner meant better quality.  I know I put that in weird terms.  It was the best way of stating it while trying to think of a word to describe it at the moment.

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2012, 05:22:30 pm »

So far Canon's advertisement has been confusing. It talks about improved dither for better quality and higher speed, but if you read more details in the brochure or listen to this interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4YBzgwevF0&feature=plcp (fast forward and the real interview is in English)

It seems that what the new algorithm does is achieve the same quality as 8300 but at faster speed (16-pass is now same as 32-pass). The brochure is contradictory. Under the heading of 8400 it talks exceptional quality and smoother gradations. However there is a footnote on this sentence saying "as compared to 9100"!

Canon also claims easier media configuration for third party papers. However I don't really see any difference. The Media Configuration Tool has gone from 4.12 to 5.0, so this is just a software change and the new software may even work with 8300 as well.

Actually, can someone who owns 8300 download the new version of Media Configuration Tool and see if it works with the 8300? It can be downloaded from Canon USA's website if you go 8400 page.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/professional_large_format_inkjet_printers/imageprograf_ipf8400#DriversAndSoftware
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:30:12 pm by sunnycal »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2012, 07:57:23 pm »

From what I was informed on from our purchasing person is that the colors from the IPF8300 are the exact same colors in the IPF8400.  Same cartridge but different chip so you couldn't use an ink from the 8300 in the 8400 and vise versa.  I'm just stating from what I heard.  Our company had a training session with our Canon rep, but I was out of the office that day.  I will know more about it next week when I get my training on the new series.  I wish I could be of more assistance now, but will know more next week.
From what I've heard from Scott Martin & others, the inks now come in a new cartridge that is backwards compatible with x300 machines. I suspect the reason for the new cartridge is to accommodate using 300ml cartridges in the 6400.

So you can't use the old cartridges in the new printers, but you can use the new cartridges in the old printers. It only makes sense; putting the same ink in two cartridges would be a silly waste of money as far as manufacturing costs. 

As for the dithering and other improvements, it's really hard to tell from the marketing materials how much of the improvements only apply to the 9400 relative to the 9100. Even if there have been changes to the dithering across the entire model line, I think it will be a small change considering that the heads and pretty much all the other hardware remain unchanged from the x300's.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up