Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folders not showing in LR  (Read 1570 times)

pflower

Folders not showing in LR
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »

This is a curious one - I have searched the forum and it seems that some people have had a similar problem but I haven't been able to find an explanation or solution.

This is on my daughter's computer - a Macbook running LR 3.3 and OSX 10.5.8.  She has a folder named 2012 photos with a series of sub-folders.

All of the photographs in the sub-folders are in the catalog and can be viewed. BUT the folder panel to the left of the library module shows only the parent folder (2012) and one sub-folder.  If I control click on one of the photos in one of the invisible sub folders and then "Go to folder in library" the correct sub-folder is shown in the tool bar below the picture but the sub-folder is invisible in the panel to the left.

I have been using LR3 and now LR4 on my computers since it was first released and never seen this problem before. 

Anyone got any ideas what is going on and how to solve it?

Thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Folders not showing in LR
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:24:29 pm »

Right click the folder names in the Folder panel and choose Show Parent Folder. Do this once or twice until things become clearer. Hide Parent Folder does the opposite.

There's also a little arrow on the left of the folder name.

pflower

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »

Ah, that hasn't worked.  I did find the command to Add parent folder and I now have a hierarchy all the way back to the root folder.  Right clicking (ctrl on Mac) doesn't have a Hide Parent Folder.  The sub folders are still hidden.  But I now have an unworkably long path name and hierarchy to navigate.  How can I get back to just showing the main sub-folder (pictures) and not the root/users/username/pictures/2010?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

OK, you're using LR3. Hide Parent Folder was called Promote Subfolders.

pflower

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:23:05 pm »

OK great, thanks for that.  Now back to the usual hierarchy.  But no subfolders.  I have now discovered that there is a later version of LR3 - 3.6 as opposed to 3.3 which is what is running at present.  I am downloading to see if that works.  What is weird is for all the other folders on the computer (i.e. 2010, 2011) all the sub-folders are visible, but not for 2012. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:34:41 pm »

Are you absolutely certain the 2012 pictures are in subfolders? Go to 2012 and right click, Show in Finder.

Try selecting a photo and do a Cmd R. Are the pictures in the folders you expected them to be? Sure there aren't any duplicates? Are they in the folders you expected them to be?

Are there any question marks on the thumbnails? What happens when you run Library > Find Missing Folders?

pflower

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:35 pm »

Are you absolutely certain the 2012 pictures are in subfolders? Go to 2012 and right click, Show in Finder.

Try selecting a photo and do a Cmd R. Are the pictures in the folders you expected them to be? Sure there aren't any duplicates? Are they in the folders you expected them to be?

Are there any question marks on the thumbnails? What happens when you run Library > Find Missing Folders?

Yes.  All the pictures are absolutely in the folders where they are and where the LR catalog says they are.  No duplicates whatsoever. 

Yes there were some question marks but they have been dealt with by re-locating the folders and pictures.  So that each photograph is recognised as being on-line by LR and I can zoom in on each one.  No pictures are recognised as being lost or missing. 

This is very weird. As I say for the photos in the sub-folders for the main folder 2010 and 2011 all of the sub-folders are in the folder's panel.  But for 2012 there are 8 sub-folders.  All the photographs in the 8 sub folders are within the catalog, all are accessible (i.e none are said to be off line), but only one sub-folder is listed in the folders panel - and that particular sub-folder has 15 sub-folders of its own and they are all recognised.
`
This is really a bit of problem since my daughter files her pictures by folder and not by keyword.  So she can't find a lot of her pictures. 

I started a new catalog which was restricted to only the photographs within the 2012 folder.  All photographs were imported and all of the sub-folders are recognised.  One solution might be to import from the new catalog, but she has edited over 600 of the photographs in one of the folders and if she then imports from another catalog all those edits will be lost.

Any thoughts

I downloaded LR 3.6 but the same problem persists.  I then

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »

Try selecting every picture in the "real" catalogue and doing a File > Export as Catalog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up