Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best SSD drive for Win7 64 Ultimate  (Read 19317 times)

Farmer

Re: Best SSD drive for Win7 64 Ultimate
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 06:16:14 pm »

Bill - to clarify further, the licence restrictions of 2 installations is not 2 ever, but a total of 2 live installs.  If your PC crashes and you have to rebuild it 5 times (for example) you are still entitled to install the software again under the perpetual licence.  However, you may not install it actively on more than 2 devices.

If you register with Adobe, you can also manage your licences that way (it's handy to prove you are the registered owner of a given licence).
Phil Brown

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 08:22:18 pm »

Steve, I have the Intel 520 and the SIIG SC-SA0L11-S1 PCI-Express 2.0 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) 2-Port Host Adapter ordered. In one of the reviews I found this info:

The controller is ASMedia...not the feeble Marvell I once had before.

Question, I'm wondering why I would want to install the adapter before I do a clean install?

Thanks, Bill

1.  A user review isn't what I would call definitive.  The chipset is the AsMedia as advertised but I'm not sure if the Marvel controller is a subset of the chipset, or the chipset.  Their site doesn't say either.  Another user review stated they couldn't exceed speeds which are such that leads me to believe it's an early Marvel controller.  Another goes slightly above what I've got with them.  I think we're in "who knows" territory.  Hopefully with your setup we'll learn just how good that controller is.. :)

2.   I figured it would be wise to test the card and it's installation with a known good/working installation and to learn how the drivers install, etc.. instead of during a Windows install.  There are several ways an adapter card install can have issue from it not being seated properly to incompatible drivers to DOA.. just easier to work that stuff out with a working system imo.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Bill Koenig

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »

Steve,
My Intel 520 and the SATA III adapter will be here today. I assume the boot port will need to be configured in the Bios, yes?
After I deactivate all of my Adobe software, and any other software. Just before I get ready to do a clean install on my new drive, would it be a good idea to test the adapter by booting my currant OS using the adapter vs my mother board? Or would this be unnecessary.
My guess is, if the bios sees the new adapter, that would tell me that its working as intended, or maybe I would see this in the device manager as some kind of verification that the adapter is working properly.
It going to be a busy labor day weekend.
Bill Koenig,

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:38 pm »

Steve,
My Intel 520 and the SATA III adapter will be here today. I assume the boot port will need to be configured in the Bios, yes?
After I deactivate all of my Adobe software, and any other software. Just before I get ready to do a clean install on my new drive, would it be a good idea to test the adapter by booting my currant OS using the adapter vs my mother board? Or would this be unnecessary.
My guess is, if the bios sees the new adapter, that would tell me that its working as intended, or maybe I would see this in the device manager as some kind of verification that the adapter is working properly.
It going to be a busy labor day weekend.

It couldn't hurt to boot up your existing drive via the new controller.  Is it unnecessary?  Probably.   It mostly depends on your comfort level.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 02:43:18 pm »

Steve,

If it looks OK in the device manager, that will be good enough for me.
It has two SATA III ports, which one is the boot port? On my mother board, port zero is the boot port, do I set this in the Bios?
Bill Koenig,

Bill Koenig

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 01:13:47 pm »

Steve, I installed the adapter card, installed the software from the disc that came with it, all went well.
 I plugged my eSATA external plug into one of the two ports on the new adapter card. 
 I took my C drive out of my PC and put in one of my external inclosures, using my eSATA cable I plugged that into external port on the back of my PC. I turned on my PC and it booted up just fine from my external inclosure, no need to change anything in the bios.
In the device manager it sees the two new ports on the new adapter card as (port zero)
The next thing I need to do is deactivate all of my Adobe software, not quite how to do that yet, might have give Adobe support a call as all of are are educational copy's not sure if that makes a difference, just want to get it right.
Once that's done, I'll install the new SSD drive in another external inclosure and start my clean install.
I see that the Intel 520 has what's call a tool box that needs the latest update, its supposed monitor the drive. I need to learn more about that.     
Bill Koenig,

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 01:59:35 pm »

Adobe software can be deactivated from inside the software.  Look under the help tabs.

Your drive should install in any port.. no need to worry about that.

The toolbox is used to update firmware, wipe the drive, etc.. you'll only need it when you confirm you have the latest firmware, and if something goes wrong.

I'm still not clear why you're going with an external drive bay for your new SSD? 

Bill Koenig

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »

Hi Steve,
The reason I'm going with a external inclosure for my OS is the fact that I still need winXP I used to have a duel boot set up on my old drive, the new SSD isn't large enough for a duel boot, so by using two external drives, it will be very easy to switch from Win7 to WinXP. I'll only have put up with this until I build my new PC next year.  
Do you think this will be a problem for me in any way? Will I take any kind of performance hit with my new SSD drive doing it this way?
Is there a better way to do this, short of opening the case to swop out the drives when I need WinXP?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 03:10:00 pm by Bill Koenig »
Bill Koenig,

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 05:19:40 pm »

Hi Steve,
The reason I'm going with a external inclosure for my OS is the fact that I still need winXP I used to have a duel boot set up on my old drive, the new SSD isn't large enough for a duel boot, so by using two external drives, it will be very easy to switch from Win7 to WinXP. I'll only have put up with this until I build my new PC next year.  
Do you think this will be a problem for me in any way? Will I take any kind of performance hit with my new SSD drive doing it this way?
Is there a better way to do this, short of opening the case to swop out the drives when I need WinXP?

I see.  There are several ways to do this other than physically connecting/disconnecting drives.. 

1.  Permanently mount both system drives and then use Windows Boot Manager (bootloader) to choose which OS you[ll boot up into.   

2.  Use XP virtual to run your 3880.. This would be the easiest and less complex.  More elegant as well imo..

Bill Koenig

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:10 pm »

Steve, thanks for the reply, and thanks putting up with my endless questions.
I don't need WinXp right now as I only use it to print longer than 37.25" on my Epson 3800, and I have images for that.
It would be nice to put the new drive inside the PC, and who knows if my external inclosure will even work with the SSD.  The 520 does come with adapter to fit a 3.5 drive slot, and I still have a empty slot. I want to save the old slot for a backup drive. I assume the same cable will work with it, but did come with two sets of cables, one must be a power cable that I'll need for my empty slot.
I didn't find a way to deactivate my adobe software, and customer service is closed for the Holiday.
I was warned by the guy at the University to make sure they understand that this is educational software, and comes with a coupon to get the serial number, I could lose my copy if its isn't done correctly.
I will need to look into the Win7 boot thing you talked about. I have  software call "Boot it" to make my duel boot over two years ago, maybe I can still use that as well.
I will report back after I talk with Adobe.
Bill Koenig,

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 07:59:06 pm »

Steve, thanks for the reply, and thanks putting up with my endless questions.
I don't need WinXp right now as I only use it to print longer than 37.25" on my Epson 3800, and I have images for that.
It would be nice to put the new drive inside the PC, and who knows if my external inclosure will even work with the SSD.  The 520 does come with adapter to fit a 3.5 drive slot, and I still have a empty slot. I want to save the old slot for a backup drive. I assume the same cable will work with it, but did come with two sets of cables, one must be a power cable that I'll need for my empty slot.
I didn't find a way to deactivate my adobe software, and customer service is closed for the Holiday.
I was warned by the guy at the University to make sure they understand that this is educational software, and comes with a coupon to get the serial number, I could lose my copy if its isn't done correctly.
I will need to look into the Win7 boot thing you talked about. I have  software call "Boot it" to make my duel boot over two years ago, maybe I can still use that as well.
I will report back after I talk with Adobe.

1.  Your enclosure is another potential can of worms.  Is it a SATA II or SATA III enclosure?  Many of the older ones were SATA I.  Either will work, at their rated speed.

2.  Don't worry about a slot/bay for your new SSD.  They're only a couple ounces, throw off only marginal heat, and can easily be "double-sticked" at the most convenient location inside your case.  That would be near an available power cable.  Data cables are much easier to extend if you need a longer one.

3.   If you looked under the "help" and didn't see it (see attached screen clip) then it might not be allowed in the educational version.  I'm eligible for educational software but stopped buying them because of the limitations Adobe placed on educational copies.

4.  Win7 comes with it's own boot manager/loader.. I wouldn't recommend anything else.  Especially if it's older unless you check and make sure it's Win7 compatible and you have the latest copy.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up