Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest USA  (Read 2657 times)

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
Southwest USA
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:58 am »

Rain in Monument Valley

M9 w/35mm Summicron

Monument Valley from Visitor's Center

M9 w/24mm Elmar

Valley of the Gods, Sunrise Clearing Sky, B&W

M9 w/24mm Elmar

Valley of the Gods, Sunrise

M9 w/35mm Summicron
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

sdwilsonsct

Re: Southwest USA
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:14 am »

I really like the contrasts and structure in #1. The others are fine but not as interesting to me.

alban

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:27:23 pm »

It is interesting to see how easy is to replicate in Monument Valley .Good work though

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:44:38 pm »

The first one is well presented, but the B&W image highlights the starkness of the land for me.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

sailronin

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 06:31:47 pm »

thank you
Monument Valley is often shot from the visitor's center ( as in my shots) so they tend to be essentially the same shot, variations in light/clouds the only change. The valley floor is full of guided tours and so much dust that it's hard to shoot unless you've arranged for a private tour.

Valley of the Gods is much smaller but on two passes (one afternoon and the next day before dawn) totaling about 7 hours I only saw 6 other people. You can get out and walk around to your heart's content.
Dave

francois

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:02:26 am »

thank you
Monument Valley is often shot from the visitor's center ( as in my shots) so they tend to be essentially the same shot, variations in light/clouds the only change. The valley floor is full of guided tours and so much dust that it's hard to shoot unless you've arranged for a private tour.

Valley of the Gods is much smaller but on two passes (one afternoon and the next day before dawn) totaling about 7 hours I only saw 6 other people. You can get out and walk around to your heart's content.

I like both the first and the third images. Valley of the Gods is not too popular and is often ignored. It's a shame because it's a wonderful place with many opportunities for photography.
Francois

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:22:24 pm »

Nice shooting.
I'll be shooting both places next Fri/Sat/Sun with a guide for sunrise and sunset at MV. I'm hoping for some nice clouds there also.

sailronin

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:01:02 pm »

Hi Lou,
It's still "monsoon season" so you may get some good cloud action.
From what I saw try to get the guide to take you as far from the visitor's center as possible. The number of cars and people was really surprising to me. I believe the further you go the more the traffic thins out as the truckload tours are short so can't go too far.
Good luck, it's an amazing place.
VOG is really easy to get around. If entering from the north there is a wash about 200 yards from the paved road, it you can traverse (no water) that you're good to go for the rest of the loop. There are a couple of "whoop de do's" and blind corners but nothing needing 4wd as long as the road is dry. If you enter by the B&B you cross the toughest part of the road first and the rest is pretty smooth. The dirt road is about 18 miles total and stopping for photos took me 3-4 hours each time through. Beautiful and peaceful, there are very few cars and you can hike for an hour without seeing anyone.
Dave
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:07:48 pm by sailronin »
Dave

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:03:28 pm »

Excellent image s#1 & 3 for me particularly like the clouds /rain in 1...great stuff.
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:38 am »

These are all very nice.  I'm particularly interested in the b&w Valley of the Gods image.  It's a lovely composition and fantastic conditions.  Such a neat place that sees very little photographer traffic.

sailronin

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 10:32:09 am »

Thank you Shaun and Bret.

I lucked out for my first visit to the Four Corners area. Lots of clouds and a bit of rain to add some depth to the sky.
Bret,
Enjoyed your website and images of the area, great job and maybe on my next trip could take a workshop or tour with you around the Moab/Canyonlands area.
Best regards,
Dave
Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up