Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to avoid banding in blue skies in small files  (Read 2154 times)

marimagen

How to avoid banding in blue skies in small files
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »

Hi, how do I avoid banding in blue skies in the small jpegs I use in my website. Is there a better compression method/quality combination (or some other trick) I can use to avoid this phenomenon? Thanks in advance, Marie

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: How to avoid banding in blue skies in small files
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:28:42 pm »

Rebuild the sky with a couple of colour fill layers, one darker, one lighter, and a gradient to blend the tonality from darker to lighter to keep it natural-looking. You can select also the exact shade of blue you want on each layer. It's a lot easier than trying to mess with low-data JPEGs. To resave as a JPEG you will need to flatten it, so keep one copy as a TIFF, with the layers intact for future adjustments should the need arise.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »

Not enough infomation, Marie - what are you doing to the files before they're "finished"? Is your workflow jpeg from start to finish, or do you do the post-processing "heavy lifting" on tiff conversions of your Raw files? What compression setting are you using for the files? And what software are you processing them in?
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

marimagen

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:33 am »

Hi, I start with a raw file. I open it in PS, "clean" it a bit and then I reduce its size (1024 pix and 72 ppp), and save it as a jpeg (medium quality compression to produce a 200 Kb size file).

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:52:49 pm »

Why don't you show us what you are talking about?
Pages: [1]   Go Up