Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD Back  (Read 943 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Mamiya ZD Back
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:58:36 am »

I finally moved up to medium format by acquiring this ZD back and Afd II body. I would like to know where I can find the software that came originally with the back? Also,what other programs can open the raw files? Do C1 and Lightroom support it?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Mamiya ZD Back
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:11:10 am »

If you've recently acquired it then make sure to test the files for the purple-worm (google it if unfamiliar) issue that some ZDs suffered from. If so, I'd suggest returning it immediately.

Also that back loves light and hates long exposures, so keep it at base ISO and give it plenty of exposure.

From my experimentation (and biased point of view) Capture One Pro will do the best with those ZD files especially as regards color.

I'd suggest asking about the original Mamiya tethering software on GetDPI as there is a kind soul there who I have seen offer to send it to two or three people over the years. As far as I recall it never left a beta stage on the Mac, but if your tethering needs are not critical that may not bother you.

Make sure to experiment with some IR photography - it was one of the few backs of it's generation where the filter was (somewhat) easily removed. As an IR enthusiast this is one of my only gripes with modern digital backs.

And when you've become entirely addicted to Medium Format remember your ZD can be used as a trade-in towards a back like a Credo 60 :-).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:15:55 am by Doug Peterson »

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Re: Mamiya ZD Back
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »

What about Silkypix? Has anyone used it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up