Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS: Distagon 40 CFE IF (nm), for use on 80 MPX backs .. SAMPLES included  (Read 1963 times)

PaulSchneider

Hi guys,

after assessing my gear I came to the conclusion that I dont use wide-angle lenses enough to warrant possessing this magnificent lens. I mainly shoot people now and therefore this gem of my collection has to go.

A bit of history why I bought this lens in the first place: I realized that the wide-ange lenses for the Phase One system, specifically for use on a 80 MPX "full frame" sensor such as the Aptus 12, were not sharp enough to the corners. This is really the weak point of Phase one in my view.

In my search for the best wide-angle lens that would be good enough for such a sensor I again and again stumbled open the Zeiss 40 CFE IF. This is a beautifully made Zeiss lens and it shows. The moment you have it in your hand you know that this is a solid piece of glass. It weighs a lot, is made of many elements and its build quality exudes excellence and makes it a pure joy to use. Basically, you know and feelt that this is a precision-made German Zeiss medium format optic worth 7.5k USD.

Also, this is the last lens developed for the V-System in the mid 2000s and hence it was specifically optimized for digital. The previous model, the 40 CFE, is not as sharp as this lens.

If you read reviews online of this lens you will only hear good things about it. People even compare this lens to technical camera lenses because it is so sharp.

A quick glance at the MTF charts also shows that this lens which was developed for 6x6cm will perform very, very well on a full frame sensor. It is a completely different optic quality-wise compared to the 40 CFE which hast two focusing rings and is NOT recommended for digital medium format.

I was a bit skeptical at first but took the plunge and bought the lens for use on my Aptus 12. And boy, it does not disappoint.

For comparison I attach three pictures taken at F11 with this lens. I photographed a stone wall near my house with a lot detail so that the images speak for itself.

The top left crop for example just shows how excellent this lens is.

My specimen is in absolute excellent condition with bare signs of usage. There's a tiny little scratch which is only visible on the barrel upon close inpection. I will provide high-res pictures of the lens if needed.

This is a very good specimen of probably the best wide-angle lens to be used on a Phase One body.Specifcally you will be getting it from someone who used it on a digital medium format camera, so this should give you some piece of mind regarding the usability ona 80 MPX back.

In my opinion, if you want the best possible image quality for landscape and interiors and you're not willing to compromise a bit ... you owe it to yourself to get this only Zeiss lens specifically made for medium format digital.

In this sense, this lens is a legend that occupies a unique place in the Zeiss lens history and in medium format photography in general.

A no compromise Phase One kit should in my view take this lens into account together with the 80 LS (my portrait lens), the macro and the venerable 150 2.8. ...

New it cost 7.5k USD.

On ebay, if you find one, it fetches north of 4k USD.

I would like to sell it to a fellow forum member for 3800 USD.

Shipping and paypal on the seller. I live in Switzerland and can ship from there or from the EU.

If you've got any questions regarding this beauty, don't hesitate to drop me a line.

The pictures can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56845822@N07/sets/72157631189315434/

Again, I'm only selling it because I don't shoot enough with it and I'd rather sell it thant let it gather dust. If I were into landscapes or architecture I would keep it because it saves you getting an alpa/cambo and lets you compose with the viewfinder.

Also, the Alpa lens corrector which is a free plugin will correct perfectly the distortion of this lens ...

Kind regards

P.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:13:41 am by PaulSchneider »

PaulSchneider

Price reduced to 3690 USD. Legendary Zeiss quality, sharp to the edges on full-frame medium format digital. shipping and paypal on the buyer.

georgl

Beautiful lens and really tempting offer, sadly I exhausted my budget for this year...

Just post a few more samples and make this lens popular again, for some reason it doesn't have the reputation it deserves - simply the best lens of it's kind, period! Despite some distortion (which can be easily corrected in the digital realm) it puts the Biogon 38 to shame!

Good luck!

PaulSchneider

3590 USD plus S/H and paypal

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Re: FS: Distagon 40 CFE IF (nm), for use on 80 MPX backs .. SAMPLES included
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:21:28 am »

Is this lens still for sale?
Roger

rogerhayman@xtra.co.nz
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

APQ

Is your lens still to sell?
I am also living in Switzerland. Nic

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

I happen to own a like new copy, this lens is indeed amazing!

No intention to sell short term, but will PM you if I change my mind. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up