Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a heavier duty version of the Really Right Stuff PCL-1 panning clamp  (Read 7208 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

I like the PCL-1  but it would be even more useful if it were heavier duty. I had discussions with various Really Right Stuff personel last year and they kept dropping hints about a heavier duty version, a PCL-2, that was in the works but to date it apparently has not been a priority for them so it is time someone else stepped up to the plate. As a vertically oriented rotator RRS brought out the PG-02 VA which is very welcome. It is easier to set the vertical angle with the PG-02 VA and the clamping mechanism is stronger as well- but that only addresses one aspect - the vertical use.  I need a stronger horizontal one and the PG-02 base isn't what I want.

Why do I want a heaver duty rotator + clamp assembly? The simblest reason is versatility. I use my PCL-1 clamps (I have two) for more than just shooting panoramas. In conjunction with  the RRS camera bars and a PCL-1 mounted in an FAS clamp it is very useful for macro, still life and architectural work as it allows me to set up a tripod and then carefully adjust the camera's position to where I need it to be.

The PCL-1 is a good clamp - better than the clones I've seen - but it could and should be better. I am frustrated.

if you know of someone already making a heavy duty panner + Arca-Swiss clamp I look forward to hearing from you.

IF someone from Really Right Stuff reads this please get the updated clamp on the market. You know the PCL-1's flaws so what is the hold up in fixing them?

This isn't rocket science, it isn't even horse and buggy science.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:49:45 pm by Ellis Vener »

u2jimbo

• exploring photography

Hi Ellis:

I'm a rooky when it comes to pano equipment - in fact, I am in the market to acquire my first setup.  I have been looking at vendors, and if I understand the function of the PCL-1 panning clamp (rotates and clamps a nodal rail...) the Acratech version appears much more beefy and adds a vertical rotation capability, as well (http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=84).

In researching pano setups / equipment info a while ago, I came across your series of posts back in February helping clarify the appropriate stacking of parts in a pano setup.  They were quite helpful for me.  I began looking for alternatives to the PCL-1 route (I have the RRS BH-55 Ballhead) to conduct some due diligence.  When I looked at the Acratech panning head, it was so much more robust, I wasn't sure it served the same purpose.  But, combined with their Nodal Rail (http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=62&cat=0&page=1) it appears it would do everything RRS's products will do at a substantially reduced price.

Do you have experience with Acratech products?  Opinions regarding their equivalence to RRS re: quality / functionality?  Any other vendors who would be reasonable competitors to RRS?

Thanks.
Jim

Ellis Vener

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your comments, suggestions and questions.

Acratech makes high quality gear and they have some unique designs that seem to be especially suited to photographers who hike.  Keep in mind that when you set aside advertising hype, every solution is a compromise and it is up to you to decide what compromises you are willing to accept.  I see three problems with the Acratech panorama head you reference.

1) The rotation mechanism is  beneath the single tilt mechanism. If you are going with a panoramic head with a single panning mechanism,  for my money  it is better to locate it above the tilt mechanism (see Arca-Swiss p0 and P1)

2) It only incorporates a single tilt mechanism* which is oriented along the pitch (fore/aft) axis (assuming you are using a rail to put the entrance pupil or virtual entrance pupil over the yaw (horizontal rotation) axis. To level the roll ( side to side tilt) motion requires either  a leveling base underneath that Acratech head (which Acratech notes or leveling the base of the head by adjusting individual leg lengths.

While you could mount it  on top of a heavy duty head like your Really Right Stuff BH-55, an Arca-Swiss Z1, or similar ballheads or a heavy duty "rational" ( double tilt + panning base) tripod heads, and use that larger heavy duty head as a leveling base that just makes things much more mechanically complex, bulky and heavy. Andthe panning mechanism will still not be at the camera platform level. Any tripod head, ball or rational  design, that has hat is below the panning joint  is essentially

3) The ultimate solution is to have two panning joints: one at the base and one at the top of the head - the way Arca-Swiss designed the C1 "Cube" , D4, and D4M and Induro builds the PHQ-3.

If you are strictly a landscape photographer where all of the subject matter is at infinity for the lens you are using to  shoot stitched panoramas it may make  little to no difference whether you have the panning mechanism above or below the tilt mechanism(s). However most of the panoramic work I do is very high resolution architectural and industrial work where I have a lot of intricate foreground/background relationships  and from experience  what I have found outthe hard way is that I do indeed need a panning movement above the tilt mechanisms. I also prefer to do panoramic work with a rational head rather than a ball head for the simple reason that the pitch and roll controls are separate. Separate leveling controls are easier to work once a camera or a large panoramic rig is mounted on the head.

At this point I don't need another limited function head like the Acratech head. A couple of years ago I lucked into an eBay auction and was able to purchase the very heavy duty (and heavy) Foba ASMIA head (http://tinyurl.com/Foba-ASMIA) for an outstanding low price, and I also use Arca-Swiss D4M (http://tinyurl.com/ArcaSwiss-D4) , p0 and B1 heads. To the ASMIA and B1 I've added Really Right Stuff PCL-1 panning clamps.  With the PCL-1 topped ASMIA, I have a range of motion that meets or exceeds that of any ballhead.

My quest is to replace the PCL-1 on the ASMIA with a heavier duty version of the PCL-1.

* There is nothing wrong with single directional tilt heads for other uses like using with a monopod. Sinar also makes or made a really heavy duty single tilt head that works great for their large format monorail cameras where you can adjust the roll angle by rotating the monorail in it's tripod mount.

Post script: As a result of this post both Mr. Johnson and an engineer at Really Right Stuff got in contact with me updating me on the progress of what I am calling the "PCL-2". I appreciate their forthrightness.

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer

I agree with Ellis.  I use a similar setup for arch. photography (PCL-1 on a geared head).  My specific complaints about the PCL-1 are:
1. The small pan-lock knob - I'd accept a slightly taller unit in exchange for a larger knob and easier pan locking.
2. The index marks on mine are not spaced exactly 90˚ apart. >:(

The PG-02 HB doesn't interest me, I don't want the bar permanently sticking out from my tripod.

I don't use both in full 3D pano mode much these days, but I was also annoyed by the deflection induced by putting a dslr on the rig. (~1˚ at the camera)  I'm guessing this would be alleviated with the newer gear?

u2jimbo

• exploring photography

Ellis:
I spent some time reviewing your recommendations re: Arca Swiss Cube and the Induro PHQ-3.

The Arca Swiss is truely beautiful to my 'industrial designer eye' - function defines forms.  But, beauty has its price.  At my level of photographic knowledge, skill and experience it is probably not the time to make that investment.

The Induro PHQ-3 was quite interesting.  It seems like a merge of my current Manfrotto 804RC2 Pan/Tilt head and a PCL-1.  If I combined those two items with an Acratech Nodal Rail w/level & 90 degree indexable quick release plate,  I would have a pretty compact setup that meets your recommendations and accommodates both my camera's QRP and my 70-200mm QRP.

In any case, I really appreciate your sharing your expertise and providing alternate resources.  I feel you have raised my due diligence effort to a high level.

Sounds like you got RRS's attention and your needs will be met soon, too!

Thanks
Jim

Ellis Vener

Dependign on what yo uare doing I'd go with the Arca-Swiss D4m (if you don't need gearing) over the PHQ-3. Having worked with both the D4M is  much smoother in operation. The lack of protruding handles is a major asset as well.

If you have the budget the C1 is hard to beat . My budget for equipment is not that large.

if by "90 degree indexable quick release plate" you mean Acratech's Universal "L" Bracket, I've seen it and prefer the Arca-Swiss L bracket , http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html , which  does away with the internal sliding QR clamp Acratech's design uses  and let's you keep a foot on the camera and interchange the L and side plate with other cameras.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:22:37 pm by Ellis Vener »

NancyP

Get in touch with Chris Hejnar of www.hejnarphotostore.com . He designs and machines custom items, and might give you a break in price as an alpha tester if he thinks this is a good thing for him to develop for routine sales. I have mostly bought clamps, nodal rails, plain old rails from him. His pano setup doesn't yet have a pano clamp, he sends people to Benro, which makes an inexpensive PCL-1 like head shipping from Hong Kong. (RRS users pretty much stick with RRS rails).

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
Re: I need a heavier duty version of the Really Right Stuff PCL-1 panning clamp
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:51:46 am »

* There is nothing wrong with single directional tilt heads for other uses like using with a monopod. Sinar also makes or made a really heavy duty single tilt head that works great for their large format monorail cameras where you can adjust the roll angle by rotating the monorail in it's tripod mount.

good news -This has just been put back in production!
regards
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

Ellis Vener

Re: I need a heavier duty version of the Really Right Stuff PCL-1 panning clamp
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 09:41:27 am »

good news -This has just been put back in production!
regards
edwin
This looks like the FOBA ASMIO head rebadged with a Sinar label. The ASMIO is a terrifically strong head  and both it and the original Sinar pan tilt head  only tilts in one direction and were designed with the Sinar P monorail cameras in mind.  The monorail of those cameras rotates laterally (roll movement ) in the tripod mount bracket. For an equally strong head that tilts in two directions I recommend the Foba ASMIA

THE ASMIO is retailing for $816.50 on line, according to http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247449-REG/Foba_ASMIO_ASMIO_Tilt_Head.html
The ASMIA retails for $1129.95  and B & H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ASMIA&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Unless you really need to support very heavy loads the Arca-Swiss D4M  for around $725.00 USD has bi-directional tilts and also has twin panning mechanisms: one in the head mount (camera platform) and tripod mount ( base of head) works well even with a big Really Right Stuff PG-O2VA panoramic gimbel mount and camera bar with a modest size (D600, 5D Mark III)  DSLR and lens mounted.

However I still want a heavier duty version of the RRS PCL-1 for my ASMIA head.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:43:07 am by Ellis Vener »
Pages: [1]   Go Up