Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 network connection problem-  (Read 2137 times)

rodsncones

Epson 4900 network connection problem-
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:02:44 am »

Hi,

I have been using my Epson 4900 for the last two years without problems on a Windows 7 system via the USB connection. This weekend I decided to relocate the printer to another room and tried to connect via a network and Cat 6 cable. 

Problem is my computer can't seem to find the 4900 any more, despite the fact that the Epson Config Utility says it is present, along with the proper network id number.  When I go to print from Photoshop or use the Epson remote utility it says my printer is offline.

I connect from my computer to a network switch, to the router, to another network switch, to the printer. All Hardwired with Cat 6 cable. Any advice? Too many switches? I set it up exactly as specified in the networking instructions.  it is the only printer on the network, and the only printer this computer is used with. I checked the connection to the printer itself and was able to access the internet from this line with a laptop no problem.  I am getting an orange light and a flashing yellow light on the ethernet port on the printer.

howardm

Re: Epson 4900 network connection problem-
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:29 am »

by default, printers and the like will get their IP address 'dynamically' from the router.  Once you setup your computer's 'Add Printer', it internalizes that IP address.  Problem is that that because the address is dynamic, it's subject to change when you reboot the computer and/or printer.  That is the most likely cause of your issue.

Printers should always be 'statically' assigned.  If you can determine the printers IP address (from the Windows Printer Properties window or the routers DHCP table), you should be able to 'ping' the IP address and get a response.  The blinking LEDs are a good sign (it tells you that you have 'link') but it's not a definitive test.

If you want, PM me and I'll give you my phone # and we can chat about it in realtime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up