Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 & hot pixels  (Read 2840 times)

David Campbell

• David Campbell Photography
LR4 & hot pixels
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:50:21 am »

I have an issue with hot pixels in LR4 from P1 IQ180 RAW files.

My understanding was that both ACR and LR automatically mapped out hot pixels and I noticed this with my 5D2/7D.

The hot pixels occur in the shadows with minimal exposure or shadows pushing (+0.5~+1.0 stops on exposure, +15~+30 on shadows).
Some are visible with no adjustments in LR, with a lot becoming obvious with the above adjustments.
In C1v6 I can push exposure by +2.5 stops and not have an issue.

Longest exposure was 15seconds (also happened to be the first of the morning)

Anyone have some advice?
I would prefer to edit RAWs in lightroom, for me it is much more user friendly and some functions I find better like local adjustment auto brushing etc.

Thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: LR4 & hot pixels
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:36:48 am »

I've seen similar with long exposures. Assuming there aren't too many, you can use the dust spotting tool on them.

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:12:54 am »

Once in a while, I also get a few hot pixels (1-3) with Canon CR2 files. But it was never a problem and I use the dust brush to take care of them. With the early versions of ACR or Lightroom, I had a lot more than now.
Francois

David Campbell

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 07:37:05 am »

Thanks for your replies.

One image has a fair amount of hot pixels for how much I would like to open up the shadows but I have a similar composition which works with much less hot pixels.
I will give the spot removal tool a try.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 02:02:08 pm »

Anyone have some advice?
I would prefer to edit RAWs in lightroom, for me it is much more user friendly and some functions I find better like local adjustment auto brushing etc.

Have you done any formal training on Capture One?

I'd agree it's less intuitive, and has more rough edges. But once you've tweaked it out and learned all the tricks it's significantly more flexible (layout/workflow/output), more powerful (minuteness of adjustments possible, range of tools available) and, in my experience, faster for most clients.

And as you've noticed it also has a well earned stellar reputation for image quality, and color rendition, amongst most of this forum (with notable exceptions like Keith Reeder).

As one of many examples the noise reduction in Capture One is split into four controls, "Luminance" "Color" "Single Pixel" and "Surface". This, along with better underlying algorithms, especially regarding the response of medium format sensors, allows you to get much better results in a desired area (e.g. "single pixels") without having to sacrifice in other areas (e.g. overall luminance noise reduction).

Capture One webinars like ours are available internationally.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:05:09 pm by Doug Peterson »

David Campbell

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:25:03 am »

Doug,

Perhaps I should have been more clear.
Whenever I have an image that I want to squeeze more out of, I will process it in C1. I agree with you that the quality is higher, especially for the phase files.

I guess I like to do some quick edits in the program I am more confident with at this stage to see if the image has potential.

I should do some more training, thanks for the links, I will look at it when I am not so busy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up