Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615468 times)

TMARK

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #760 on: February 15, 2013, 09:09:09 am »

The DMR had fantastic color in daylight. That whole generation of Kodak CCD's did - IMHO. But it could do weird things in mixed color or fluorescent.

The M8 as well.  Loved diffused daylight.

Jim Funston

« Reply #761 on: February 15, 2013, 09:24:29 am »

+1 windstork!

Being retired and not in the best of shape this camera and a very light tripod with a bag of filters make life afield much easier for my scenics. I don't draw the attention I did with bigger gear. Quite honestly its IQ is as good or better than any camera I have owned (I have owned a bunch from 4x5's through digitals). Due to its size it is not physically demanding to carry and use which is allowing me to venture further and deeper into areas that I would of avoided with larger heavier gear. For me it is a win-win-win tool even though I consider it a one or two trick pony. What it does it does excellently and its strengths is why I bought it.

Worrying about OOC colors and hues with the number of today's PP softwares having individual color and hue adjustments is in my opinion a non issue ( honestly I really like the OOC colors in "neutral" or "standard" modes and I don't do much in that area in PP.... But that is a individual like or dislike). I don't do portrait's and in fact avoid having people in my scenics so skin tone (good or bad) is something I will never see coming out of my Merrill. On the other hand one cannot create detail in image if it was not captured and the Merrill's do capture amazing detail. I have owned camera/Len combination where getting the detail was its biggest challenge and those soon left my kit bags, I see myself buying MORE Merrill's in the near future as they perfectly meet my needs and wants in a portable scenic image capture devise. I enjoy it for what it is and its ability to fly under the radar and not be noticed while out in areas where this is essential like night cityscapes.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:30:25 am by Jim Funston »

juan_amores

« Reply #762 on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:14 am »

Two motorbikes:

_SDI0514 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0511 por John Loves, en Flickr

Jim Funston

« Reply #763 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:52 am »

Nice juan........  ride still in my 60's and appreciate a good bike....

NigelC

« Reply #764 on: February 19, 2013, 04:57:24 am »

Any sign of SPP 5.5 yet?

juan_amores

« Reply #765 on: February 19, 2013, 06:07:01 am »

Jim Funston

« Reply #766 on: February 19, 2013, 09:27:12 am »

Think the 22nd is the expected launch from what I have seen on the web. I know a customer service rep was really impressed with the B&W changes to the software ;)

Farsh

« Reply #767 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44:46 pm »

100% crop

(badly framed original for comparison)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:53:46 pm by Farsh »

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
« Reply #768 on: February 21, 2013, 03:45:58 am »

SPP 5.5 is out, but beware if you're on a Mac.  I installed it and it freezes.  I trashed it and re-installed it and is still freezes.  I then re-installed 5.4 and everything works fine. 
There's a bug in 5.5 that needs to be addressed so be advised.  I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.8) so those of you running a more current OS may/may not experience the freezes.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #769 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:23 am »

I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.8) so those of you running a more current OS may/may not experience the freezes.

Seems to work fine for me on 10.8.2. 

Pete_G

« Reply #770 on: February 21, 2013, 08:57:24 am »

It seems stable on both my Windows 7 systems, but I don't think the B+W renders are correct. When a tiff is saved then opened up in PS, LR or even the tiff in SPP the B+W rendition looks horrible and plasticky, whereas the X3F  looked rather decent in SPP. This only seems to happen with the B+W renders, the colour tiffs seem OK, as they were in 5.4.1. Be AWARE, there is a pop-up warning saying converting a file to B+W will make it incompatible with earlier versions of SPP.

It's interesting to see just where the high ISO noise is in the X3F's, mainly in the red channel, if this is reduced while in B+W mode, the noise reduces considerably.

It looks like SPP 5.5 is adding Luminance Noise reduction to the rendered tif, at the middle setting, even though it is set at the lowest setting in the Adjustment Panel. That's what makes it look plasticky.

EDIT: it appears that this added Luminance NR is not happening now. I think that when SPP was first installed, although the NR sliders in the Monochrome Panel were set all the way to the left, SPP was still adding NR. When I moved the sliders to the centre then back to the left this reset SPP and it no longer adds the NR when making tifs. Great. BTW this "buglet" happened on both my systems.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:29:56 am by Pete_G »

pflower

« Reply #771 on: February 21, 2013, 11:07:41 am »

SPP 5.5 is out, but beware if you're on a Mac.  I installed it and it freezes.  I trashed it and re-installed it and is still freezes.  I then re-installed 5.4 and everything works fine. 
There's a bug in 5.5 that needs to be addressed so be advised.  I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.8) so those of you running a more current OS may/may not experience the freezes.

I think you will find that you have to uninstall 5.4 before installing 5.5.  Actually I just copied the folder with 5.5 and replaced the existing folder with 5.4 in it and it seems to work fine on a Mac running 10.6.8

wildstork

« Reply #772 on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:23 pm »

I removed the SPP 5.4 app from my Applications folder and dragged it to the trash.  I didn't empty the trash.  Could this be the problem?  How does one uninstall an app?  I normally just delete it and/or drag it to the trash. 

wildstork

« Reply #773 on: February 21, 2013, 12:48:02 pm »

SPP 5.5 was reinstalled after deleting 5.4 and emptying the trash.  I then rebooted and SPP 5.5 appears to be working fine.  No spinning color wheel this time.
Lawrence

NancyP

Re: SPP 5.5.0 problem - thanks for follow-up
« Reply #774 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:51 pm »

I too run a Mac with OS 10.6.8 . Somewhere in the instructions to 5.5.0 for Mac is the information that SPP 5.4.1 must be uninstalled before installing 5.5.0.

aduke

« Reply #775 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:33 pm »

The Windows installation instructions also call for the removal of 5.4.

Alan

palpman

« Reply #776 on: February 23, 2013, 06:07:25 am »

Finally! I have received my DP2M  :D

First things first, trying it by shooting a cat  ;D

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:36:03 am by palpman »

juan_amores

« Reply #777 on: February 25, 2013, 04:49:22 am »

_SDI0520_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0519 por John Loves, en Flickr

juan_amores

« Reply #778 on: March 03, 2013, 01:03:26 pm »

Aguirre

« Reply #779 on: March 03, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »

Juan,
Looks like you're coming to terms with the Sigma and producing some fine shots. I noticed some banding in your B&Ws; did you try correcting this in SPP? I'm contemplating one of the Merrills for B&W landscapes, but this banding issue could be a deal-breaker; and I thought this problem had been resolved. Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54   Go Up