Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615175 times)

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences (Tiff file size)
« Reply #580 on: December 23, 2012, 08:14:35 pm »

86,493 KB is what Windows 7 tells me.

Alan
Thanks Alan. My computer MBP is not going to be happy running 86mb files in LR4.

RobertJ

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #581 on: December 23, 2012, 10:25:38 pm »

Hey guys,
I know this is a DP2M thread, but I've been thinking about the kind of results you could get from a Sigma SD1M DSLR with some Zeiss ZF lenses because there is an adapter that lets you use Nikon F lenses on the Sigma mount ( http://www.jtat.com/sd/sd_main/SD_Nikon.html ).  

I emailed them and asked if it worked on the latest Merrill DSLR, and they said it did, though, of course, I haven't tried it.  I don't own the camera, and it seems like there isn't any way to rent one, while Nikon and Canon is easy to rent all over the place.

I'd be curious to see what an SD1M with some Zeiss ZF lenses (15 2.8, 21 2.8, 25 f/2, 50 f/2 Makro, and 100 f/2 Makro) could do (match the DP2M in image quality, or perhaps be superior?)  

It would be cool if someone could try it out (Mr. Reichmann!) or maybe someone is already doing it?  I haven't heard anything about this theoretical combination.

*EDIT: It looks like the Nikon/Sigma adapter is picky about which lenses can be used.  So I'm not 100% sure ZF lenses would work.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:28:17 pm by T-1000 »

K.C.

« Reply #582 on: December 23, 2012, 11:19:20 pm »

My question is, what will the Tiff files from the DP2 be when I send them into LR from SPP?

I took 145 images today with my DP2M and they range from 49MB to 63MB in SPP. TIFFs output at full size in Adobe RGB and 16 bit are 88.6MB.

Put your working files on an external drive and you'll give your MBP a much easier task working with these files.

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #583 on: December 24, 2012, 12:54:37 am »

I took 145 images today with my DP2M and they range from 49MB to 63MB in SPP. TIFFs output at full size in Adobe RGB and 16 bit are 88.6MB.

Put your working files on an external drive and you'll give your MBP a much easier task working with these files.

Thanks for the info and the suggestion KC. I'm going to put tomorrows shoot on my external hard drives and see what difference it makes in LR4.

juan_amores

« Reply #584 on: December 24, 2012, 01:13:14 pm »

It depends on what you're shooting and what kind of exposure you want. The evaluative mode works very well for general use.

Thanks for the info.
Merry Christmas

Pansottin

« Reply #585 on: December 25, 2012, 03:58:47 pm »

(sorry of this is off topic, but I really want to read and see everything about these Merrill cameras)
Most intriguing topic but I can´t see any of Mr. Hulyss images. Instead I only see a "?" with a blue square.
Using Safari 6.
On Firefox 6 nothing shows. Not even the "?"
What can I do?
Thanks a lot.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #586 on: December 25, 2012, 05:57:43 pm »

You have to be logged in.

Pansottin

« Reply #587 on: December 25, 2012, 06:06:11 pm »

But I´m; can´t only see images by that friend ,-(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #588 on: December 25, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »

But I´m; can´t only see images by that friend ,-(

You are not the only one... he apparently decided to take them down, for whatever reason. You can see the original web addresses of the posted images if you click on the "Quote" button on one of his posts containing images (now "blue question marks"). Hope this helps.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #589 on: December 25, 2012, 08:00:59 pm »

Sigma France beat him up pretty bad. Accused him of divulging insider info.etc. His only "crime" was being extremely passionate about this camera as well as anything related to it. He decided pull all his suppoting praise and posts from all the forums he participated in. I think he did say that from now on his only contact with Sigma would be Sigma Japan. He really had put together a wonderful package of information that helped others with an interest...always a shame to see these unpleasant , unfortunate turns against good people. Human race just seems to have gotten more cruel...
A common woman~

Pansottin

« Reply #590 on: December 25, 2012, 08:12:23 pm »

Didn´t know about those events. I only know about these cameras since two days ago...
Sad.
Will keep reading.
Thanks for your help.

speedyk

« Reply #591 on: December 25, 2012, 08:16:57 pm »

Thanks for that info Patricia. I was on the fence about trying one, think I'll pass. Their human interface sounds as clunky as the one on the cameras. Maybe in time they will grow up and appreciate the buzz fans generate.

Pansottin

« Reply #592 on: December 25, 2012, 10:28:19 pm »

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP2Merrill/accessories.html
Any experience with the close-up lens AML-2?
Minimum distance?
Samples?

Thank you very much.

janus

« Reply #593 on: December 25, 2012, 11:43:35 pm »

Thanks for that info Patricia. I was on the fence about trying one, think I'll pass. Their human interface sounds as clunky as the one on the cameras. Maybe in time they will grow up and appreciate the buzz fans generate.

With every new camera, it takes  a little while to become "one" with it. We often judge hastily by what we are used to, not on the basis of the real merits of a new item by itself, which in this case is incredible IQ.

I find it an absolutely wonderful little camera, which does one task extremely well: make photos loaded with IQ. Period.

As far as growing up....I think Sigma has developed quickly and listens to its customers extremely well and is constantly makign things better. Look at their latest lenses. Great things are to come from them. Mark my word. This camera will grow on anyone.

I am a Fanboy:? Yes, when it comes to the DP2M (and kind of also about my SD15B), but I disliked the yellowish-oversaturated colors of the SD9 (although it was sharp), the unreliable technical nature and finicky colors of the SD14, and I never use the DP1 anymore.

But I don't ever regret paying $850 for the DP2M (got it during the brief discount period). Very happy about the printed output from it (I make 17 x  22 inches or 17 x whatever length panoramas at home)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #594 on: December 26, 2012, 06:26:38 am »

Their human interface sounds as clunky as the one on the cameras.
Aren't we just talking about one or two idiots in Sigma France?
Ken Cameron

Pansottin

« Reply #595 on: December 26, 2012, 07:06:23 am »

After 30 pages of good reading I must present my case:
I´m a DSLR Full Frame user for travel and macro.
Collodion photography newbie (among other processes) for portrait and still life.

But I can´t travel no more with a DSLR+lenses. Too heavy for my bones even with just one full frame body+one lenses (50mm).

For months I´ve been searching for a full frame compact camera. Compact but with pro quality (full frame on not). I saw several Sony´s, etc; but none were that "spark!!!"
End up always with the Leica M (full frame, compact, no bayer filter). Too expensive for me as a second/third system just to travel.
The first alternative (Sony RX-1) isn´t that cheap yet (it´s the first; we must pay that price).

These Merrills... Well, they look like magnificent tools to produce really high-end results, no bayer filters, excellent color, and simple machines. Portable.
Affordable as a "second" system oriented to work outside my studio/traveling.
I do not use most of my DSLR fancy features. They´ve too much stuff and repeat functions in my modest opinion. Too many menus, etc.
So I think that Merrill´s simplicity are good news (I like Leica approach because they keep things simple). A "camera obscura" with a bit of convenience ,-)

This is the type of work I do/I will do with a Merrill?
http://ateliercunha.com/ibp_menu_iconand.html

My question:
Am I finally in the presence of my compact, pro quality, light, affordable camera? At last?
:-)

All your help and thoughts are most welcome.
Thank you so much in advance.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #596 on: December 26, 2012, 07:38:23 am »

Aren't we just talking about one or two idiots in Sigma France?

Absolutely... don't know how the divisions inter relate, but certainly should not figure in ones decision to use, or not, this camera. For those who appreciate its talents, and are willing to put together its own workflow it is extremely worthy of its place in ones backpack. (not JMHO)

Luis...I spent some time on your site this morning. I believe you and the Merrills are built for each other. The creative moment is highly evident in your work...I can see the period of you thoroughly studying ...and then the capture. I do believe that you would find a nice experience trying them.

A common woman~

Pansottin

« Reply #597 on: December 26, 2012, 10:46:49 am »

Dear Patricia,
thank for your time and advice. I agree with you; I´m attracted to these Merrills, a lot .-)
Two aspect are in doubt for me:

DP1M or DP2M.
I´ve never tested a prime wide lens (DP1M) and I´m very curious about it. On the other hand the more regular DP2M lens looks like the best of the two, even if both are very good and well matched with the sensor...

And the close up aspect. I can only find a close up lens (AML-2) for the DP2M not for the wider sister. I do real macro indoors with a very good macro lens, but a close up approach is sometimes interesting while outdoors.

Thanks again.

K.C.

« Reply #598 on: December 26, 2012, 02:28:36 pm »

DP1M or DP2M.
I´ve never tested a prime wide lens (DP1M) and I´m very curious about it. On the other hand the more regular DP2M lens looks like the best of the two, even if both are very good and well matched with the sensor...

Read the reviews right here on the LL site.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp1_merrill.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp2m_review.shtml

And the close up aspect. I can only find a close up lens (AML-2) for the DP2M not for the wider sister. I do real macro indoors with a very good macro lens, but a close up approach is sometimes interesting while outdoors.

Though I'm sure it's done, diopters are not typically used on wide lenses.

Pansottin

« Reply #599 on: December 26, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 54   Go Up