Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615185 times)

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #500 on: November 30, 2012, 05:29:14 pm »

No worries. I only bought two DP-2 batteries by accident from B&H when I bought my DP-2"M". Man, did I feel stupid  ???

Happy shooting!

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Rand47

« Reply #501 on: November 30, 2012, 08:15:52 pm »

No worries. I only bought two DP-2 batteries by accident from B&H when I bought my DP-2"M". Man, did I feel stupid  ???

Happy shooting!

- N.

Heck, I ordered mine straight from Sigma, with the wrong lens hood and no one there noticed it.  They were pleased to send me the camera, correct batteries, and wrong hood.  I guess their ordering software doesn't have a "stupid filter."  Took me about 5 minutes to convince myself that the darn thing just wasn't going on the camera!  LOL  They were nice about taking it back.   ;D

Still waiting for my spare batteries and close up lens.

Rand
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:35:37 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

janus

« Reply #502 on: December 01, 2012, 09:40:19 am »

I, too, was interested in the DP-2, ordered it over the weekend and received it Wednesday. My first impressions were much along the same lines as earlier posts, with a couple of differences.

Having spent a couple of hours in a favorite local location taking photographs, I believe that the the DP-2 is much slower than my Canon DSLR's. Over the last 10 years, I've taken over 2000 images in this location, averaging around 70 per trip. Today, I got less than 30. Fumbling with controls, the use of manual focus and waiting for the camera to be ready for the next image were major contributors to this result.

I exhausted the first battery in getting the camera set-up to meet my way of working, like finding how to set the date, setting RAW only, Aperture priority, power-off times and a number of other settings, and taking 41 images. I imagine that the next batteries will last a little longer.

Sigma Photo Pro has a number of major annoyances, it seems to remember settings I'd rather it not remember and forgets settings I'd rather it would remember. It seems to be useful only for setting white balance. Luckily, almost all of today's images were sunlight WB, so setting it was easy. All of the images were then adjusted in LR4. The results were excellent, when viewed on the monitor. I sure wish that LR4 supported the camera's raw data. :(

I would suggest that, while you a waiting, that you download SPP, search the net for sample raw images, and develop your workflow. That was a great help in dealing with today's work.

I went to a fellow Sigma photography friend's house with the freshly arrived DP2M box from Sigma USA in my car, unpacked it at her house, not quite fully charged one battery, and while not quite knowing how to quite use the camera yet, but went out with her shooting. I managed to get 78 shots in 1hr 20 min., with the camera set to record both RAW+jpeg. Shot in Aperture mode, standard setting (I now prefer neutral better), and basically used it like a point and shoot. Used the EV compensation button a few times. That was it. Managed to get a lot of excellent shots, actually.

I am not saying this to brag about myself, but to quiet fears that this camera is supposedly so slow. In field work, I have basically no issue with this camera at all.

aduke

« Reply #503 on: December 01, 2012, 10:48:28 am »

I found that the camera is somewhat slower than my Canon's, but not objectionably so. I am not, however, a machine-gunner, so the slowness is neither an annoyance nor a hindrance. Much of the slower pace is due to using manual focus using the magnified focus display. This added a little time to the process as the focal point was rarely dead center.

The results were worth it.

Alan

narikin

Re: New SPP software update, and firmware update for both DP2M and DP1M
« Reply #504 on: December 01, 2012, 10:49:13 pm »

New SPP software update, and firmware update for both DP2M and DP1M

Firmware:   http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=323

SPP software:  http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=324

Rand

Thank God.  I got rid of my DP2M - took it back to the store, because of the endlessly crashing software in Windows. I mean didn't anyone test it before they released it?  Its a truly horrible piece of work, even if they have got it stable now.

I liked the camera, though it ate batteries, and was indeed a bit slow. Why on earth didn't they manage to fit a bigger battery in that not-so-small body? Yes the results were pretty damn good, alright: amazing! but it needs improving in many respects to its usability, not its sensor or quality, just in the everyday ability to work with it.  

If only Phase or Hasselblad would licence the Foveon sensor technology for digital MF, and make a full frame 645 sensor in the quality, it would blow everyone's socks off, all over again.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:45:45 pm by narikin »

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #505 on: December 02, 2012, 03:30:48 am »

I'm sorry to hear about Narikin's problems with the Sigma software in Windows.  I run Windows 7 64-bit, and have had the Sigma software convert a large number of Raws to tiffs in one fell swoop, without any problem, then process them in ACR.  The conversion is an extra step, and the camera is indeed slower than any other DSLR I've had (except for the Sigma DSLR), but as has been said, "the results are worth it."  This is one sweet camera (just keep some extra battery power on hand).  I'm grateful to Quentin's initial posting and Michael's early comments, without which I wouldn't have bought it, and have been enjoying the results ever since.  And just look at how many views this thread has had!! --Barbara

hasselbladfan

« Reply #506 on: December 02, 2012, 03:45:57 am »

If only Phase or Hasselblad would licence the Foveon sensor technology fopr digital MF, and make a full frame 645 sensor in the quality, it would blow everyone's socks off, all over again.

This would be fantastic ! Great idea.

Anyone listening in Sweden? Or is it Denmark now?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #507 on: December 02, 2012, 06:31:43 am »

Taking the DP2m for a walk along la Seine in Paris.

Cheers,
Bernard

K.C.

« Reply #508 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »

Thank God.  I got rid of my DP2M - took it back to B&H, because of the endlessly crashing software in Windows. I mean didn't anyone test it before they released it?  Its a truly horrible piece of work, even if they have got it stable.

It's quite stable and working just fine.

It was inevitable that Sigma would release an early build of their application in order to get the cameras to market and begin to recoup their costs. Now that it's the hottest camera, and forum topic, in the market they've released updates that have not only stabilized SPP but improved it.

I'm sure having fun with mine and reading all the threads here and on several other forums.

John Gellings

« Reply #509 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:05 am »

When this camera gets it right... it gets it really right.  It's worth dealing with its shortcomings based on that for me. 

Neil Vanderwolf

« Reply #510 on: December 03, 2012, 07:25:46 pm »

narikin-

That's strange, I suspect that your computer is at fault. I have been using SPP and the numerous iterations for years with a number of different Sigma cameras and it hasn't crashed on me once. This has been on three different computers...
Neil

Rand47

« Reply #511 on: December 03, 2012, 09:11:40 pm »

narikin-

That's strange, I suspect that your computer is at fault. I have been using SPP and the numerous iterations for years with a number of different Sigma cameras and it hasn't crashed on me once. This has been on three different computers...

Earlier versions crashed regularly on my brand new Ivy Bridge machine.  Sigma acknowledged the crashing as one of the problems they have been addressing w/ updates - so "probably not" his computer IMO.
Rand Scott Adams

mezzoduomo

« Reply #512 on: December 04, 2012, 06:49:21 am »

New to this site and forum.  I was vaguely interested in the DP-2, and read nearly every post in this board with relish, then ordered a DP-2 Merrill on sale from B&H.  Can't wait to receive it, although I fear my wife will snatch it up and hide it away from me until Christmas.  Such valuable and rich information here....

Thanks to all.

Mezzoduomo
Scottsdale, AZ USA

My Merrill arrived yesterday, safe and sound.  Both batteries flat...  ::)
Downloaded the software successfully, and it seems to be working well. Downloaded and updated firmware just fine also. Now all I need is some daylight.....

Mezzoduomo

NancyP

Bernard Languilleur photo of vintage car on Seine barge.
« Reply #513 on: December 04, 2012, 01:41:59 pm »

There has to be a story behind that car. That's an attention-getting image. Thanks.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #514 on: December 04, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »

Bernard... I came across this in other readings today.

Seems that car is getting a bit of attention!
http://jalopnik.com/5965028/wheres-the-worlds-most-expensive-parking-space?post=54863863

scroll to see the comment.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #515 on: December 04, 2012, 11:19:16 pm »

I am glad you posted these photos.  I have been dealing with a lot of aliasing as is apparent with the railings and ropes and straight lines in these photos.  For those of you who don't know, aliasing is the stair stepping look you see on the horizontal and vertical lines in these photos.  This is the price you pay for not having a blur filter or AA like bayer sensors have....you get much sharper pics but this can be an issue for certain targets.  I have expiermented with several anti-aliasing plug-ins and have found some relief.  When printed at size like 17x20 the aliasing is not as noticebable as it is with digital representation.  When zoomed in at 100% on digital displays the aliasing is very minimized....How are you all dealing with this pre-agreed to phenomenon due the the absence of AA filtering???

It is in fact a lot worse on the downresed version. I haven't been doing anything about it really.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

Re: Bernard Languilleur photo of vintage car on Seine barge.
« Reply #516 on: December 04, 2012, 11:22:36 pm »

There has to be a story behind that car. That's an attention-getting image. Thanks.

Bernard... I came across this in other readings today.

Seems that car is getting a bit of attention!
http://jalopnik.com/5965028/wheres-the-worlds-most-expensive-parking-space?post=54863863

scroll to see the comment.

Interesting, but I am not surprised through. This car clearly stands out if you walk along the Seine. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

andrew00

« Reply #517 on: December 05, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »

I had a couple days with the DP2M but decided not to buy it.

I really liked the keeper images it took, but I found that it's low light sensitivity was too frustrating for me. I found the camera too difficult to focus in diminished conditions (aka indoors).

I also found due to it being not very sensitive to light that it always needed a slow shutter speed, which resulted in a lot of blurred images. I got one excellent image I really like out of it, but I got a lot of blurry ones.

Maybe in that regard I'm spoiled as I mostly use an OM-D which is decently sensitive and has an EVF for stability and the IBIS for slow shutters. Either way, despite taking great piccies, the DP2M isn't a keeper for me.

janus

« Reply #518 on: December 05, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »

True, this is a camera for good light. Period.

So are all Foveon cameras.

To me, this is actually their incredible strength.

Foveonic

« Reply #519 on: December 08, 2012, 11:52:32 pm »

http://www.saeki.co.kr/brand/M_List.asp?APP=N&Product_no=0106

http://www.saeki.co.kr/brand/m_view.asp?APP=N&Product_no=0105060024

Check this site out.  Can't figure out the price or how to order.......Looks like 3rd party Sigma of Japan..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:38:17 pm by Foveonic »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54   Go Up