Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615119 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #380 on: November 03, 2012, 08:50:38 pm »

Foveonic

« Reply #381 on: November 03, 2012, 09:25:54 pm »

Here is the Adobe "Camera Raw" supported cameras list:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

It was I, who seems to have been drunk...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:10:20 pm by Foveonic »

Foveonic

« Reply #382 on: November 03, 2012, 11:06:56 pm »

Finally got out with the Merrill:
Batteries are small and are much quicker to install than a roll of film (Lens placement on the Merrill allows for this without tripod mount removal, unlike the DP2)
Using eye viewer to roughly set up a scene with the camera off and then screen on for 100% composition and histogram check, then switched to "settings only" onscreen mode (Less battery burn this way). Continued use of viewer throughout shoot...

Buffer keeps up just fine on landscapes, I never feel constrained by it at all....
72 shots and still over half a battery left.....

4 batteries and two chargers in possession (AC outlet in the SUV for assurance)

For the landscape shooter I see no real problems here....for the street shooter, the manual focus gear ratio and lack of a coupled rangefinder could cause dismay.  But, use the autofocus and be mindful of the buffer and the street is still a valid locale.

On another subject: Had the good fortune of visiting the international space station last month.  I was able to take the Merrill along, thought you might like to see this picture of a gnat I took on a twig somewhere in North America. I was worried about atmospheric haze, but I got lucky when the clouds parted.  This lens continues to blow me away.....

Best
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:36:29 am by Foveonic »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #383 on: November 03, 2012, 11:26:55 pm »

100% crop from a shot I took 23 miles away from the actual location.  One sharp lens for sure....

You are kidding, right?

jeremypayne

« Reply #384 on: November 03, 2012, 11:44:27 pm »

You are kidding, right?

I think this thread just jumped the shark ...

Foveonic

« Reply #385 on: November 03, 2012, 11:53:23 pm »

Just wanted to liven this place up a little...... ;D

Foveonic

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #386 on: November 04, 2012, 12:54:18 am »

The D2Pm is not supported though, or at least not supported yet.

Let's hope that the live of Michael for the D2Pm speeds things up. :)

Cheers,
Bernars

Rand47

« Reply #387 on: November 04, 2012, 01:28:55 am »

About 10% of the frame.  Manipulated in LR & CS6 for the look I wanted.

Portion of bronze in Monterey, CA.
Rand Scott Adams

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #388 on: November 04, 2012, 02:36:31 am »

But the battery life is a monstrous disaster... 6 hours of very casual shooting... Less than 100 images in 19 degrees C... 2 fresh batteries dead... no more pictures today...

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #389 on: November 04, 2012, 03:15:43 am »

In my opinion, it's just what it is: by far the best Image and (fixed) Lens quality in the smallest package currently availabe (and at a very decent price, I might add).

The battery life is just a consequence of the physical constraints thus imposed (like 50 MB of RAW data and the processing needs required).

Yes, it is a nice camera with what looks like an annoying design flaw. The fact is that I have not run out battery with any other camera since my Mamya ZD days. And I did turn off the D2Pm most of the time just after having shot a frame. I have 4 more batteries being shipped today, so I have the solution ready though. :)

Ok, I don't have the latest firmware, perhaps it is improving things.

The regretable thing is that there seems to be more than enough space to fit a much higher capacity battery.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #390 on: November 04, 2012, 04:44:54 am »

You seem to veer between lukewarm ('nice') when it comes to the DP2M's strengths and hyperbole ('annyoing design flaw'), when it comes to weaknesses  ;)

Maybe, just maybe, the DP2M is not the right camera for you?

Michael,

Relax, this is just a camera and I am merely being objective about it.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #391 on: November 04, 2012, 05:25:26 am »

Don't worry - I'm relaxed and I think I can clearly see the pros and cons of the DP2M.

I first had a look at your galleries before replying, and if you had asked me straight away: please have a look at my pictures and tell me whether you would recommend the DP2M for me, I would without hesitation have answered: no.

No, because the DP2M might not be versatile enough for you (fixed lens), too slow, questionable battery life, really requires (in my opinion) to shoot in RAW only, etc etc.

In fact, I would never recommend the DP2M for 99% of photograpers - heck: make it 99.9%  ;D

The more interesting question for me is: why did you pick up the DP2M (apart from curiousity)?

I am not sure what part of "I like the camera" you don't understand.  ;)

But it is not because I like the DP2m overall that I won't comment on its obvious drawbacks.

It is also not because the camera has some drawbacks that I won't find useful ways to use it.

I bought the DP2m because I thought it could help me manage some shooting situations (street shooting in good light) and I believe it will be able to do that.

I don't know if I mentioned that, but I like the camera.  ;)

Besides, you may want to know that 100% of my images are shot with fixed focals, less than 1% with lenses wider than 50mm equivalent. So I am not sure the DP2m is such a poor choice from a spec standpoint.  :D

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:30:28 am by BernardLanguillier »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #392 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:35 am »

I think we are serious photographers and we should not fall in technical polemics, if you want.

When someone buy a Sigma he know what he is doing. It's like buying a Leica (a special camera), you don't do that in a finger snap.

All the "technical flaws" you speak about since ... 2 or 3 pages of this thread are about things who have already been discussed. I think it is important to read the thread. Nobody invest 1000 $ in foveon based camera without reading all the threads and the foveon story and particularity. No ?

Technical endless speech kill the thread, it is very boring :) and I'm sure nobody here want LL falling in the same state of DPreview ...

So please, lets post photos, sensibility, skills !!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 02:00:37 pm by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #393 on: November 04, 2012, 07:06:47 am »

There you go:

Cheers,
Bernard

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #394 on: November 04, 2012, 08:37:22 am »

Here is my attempt at a 3 shot stitch of the house across the street from me.   I'm a long term beginner using only Lula approved sources.  This should give you an idea of what the average guy with camera/tripod can do.   The preview of this post is not showing the pic I am trying to upload.  If it doesn't take I've included a link to the dropbox.   Warning, a lot of crap pics in this dropbox.

Full:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mufcrv6se2g9nm/Acrossthestreetfull%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Foveonic

« Reply #395 on: November 04, 2012, 11:24:38 am »

I think we are serious photographers and we should not fall in technical polemics, if you want.

When someone buy a Sigma he know what he is doing. It's like buying a Leica, you don't do that in a finger snap.

All the "technical flaws" you speak about since ... 2 or 3 pages of this thread are about things who have already been discussed. I think it is important to read the thread. Nobody invest 1000 $ in foveon based camera without reading all the threads and the foveon story and particularity. No ?

Technical endless speech kill the thread, it is very boring :) and I'm sure nobody here want LL falling in the same state of DPreview ...

Boring???  Did you see my picture from the International Space Station of a Gnat somewhere over North America.....

New camera, new thread.....you will get anything and everything that has to do with an experience that has to do with this camera.  I mean that is the title of the thread after all.  Besides if we end the technical stuff, you won't find out about how I hooked my Merrill up to a car battery and got 57,000 shots on one charge..... ;D

Foveonic

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #396 on: November 04, 2012, 12:19:30 pm »

Quite so.  That's why this thread is called "Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences".
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #397 on: November 04, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »

Very nice stitch Adam L. I like it.

Quite so.  That's why this thread is called "Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences".

;)
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #398 on: November 04, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »

Looks good  :)

Here is my attempt at a 3 shot stitch of the house across the street from me.   I'm a long term beginner using only Lula approved sources.  This should give you an idea of what the average guy with camera/tripod can do.   The preview of this post is not showing the pic I am trying to upload.  If it doesn't take I've included a link to the dropbox.   Warning, a lot of crap pics in this dropbox.

Full:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mufcrv6se2g9nm/Acrossthestreetfull%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

K.C.

« Reply #399 on: November 04, 2012, 06:59:48 pm »

Relax, this is just a camera and I am merely being objective about it.

Now seriously, do you think anyone here is capable of being objective ?

Bernard you're a highly accomplished photographer. You lost objectivity about equipment years ago or you wouldn't have the portfolio that you do. You, like all of us with years of experience, have strong preferences and biases based on that experience. And thankfully so.

I read threads on LL expecting anything but objectivity and I can't think of a photo forum that is objective.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54   Go Up