Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615465 times)

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #300 on: October 27, 2012, 10:31:35 pm »

Yes, nice crops. Something cold in your photos, interesting. But your makisushi are too thin ! :D

Anything for me concerning hyperfocal ?

Personally, I find hyperfocal a waste of time on high-rez digital cameras. For street, get a finder and use AF.

my 2c.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

joezl

« Reply #301 on: October 27, 2012, 10:42:22 pm »

Is anyone here using the Sigma with the optical viewfinder and, if so, how does it perform? Do you prefer it to using the lcd screen?

SB-1

« Reply #302 on: October 28, 2012, 12:25:39 am »

I've been working with the DP2M for a little while now, and I'm rather pleased all around. Aside from SPP, which isn't all that delightful to work with, I've been very happy with what I'm been getting, image wise. I've also been impressed by the snappy focus. I thought I'd add a meagre contribution or two to the thread:

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #303 on: October 28, 2012, 02:40:54 am »

Hulyss, I particularly liked your interior at ISO 1250.  Nicely framed.  On a technical note, thanks for the blow-up of the clock-face.  The noise at that ISO looked soft and delicate.  Can one have "creamy" noise, in the same way we speak of "creamy bokeh"?  I'm enjoying my own DP2M, and thankfully haven't had any software problems.  --Barbara

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #304 on: October 28, 2012, 04:18:56 am »

Hello,

Nice shoots SB-1 :) And for you, Barbara :

Creamy bokeh :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:20:57 am by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

macti

« Reply #305 on: October 28, 2012, 06:07:42 am »

I´ve been following this thread for a while and begin considering buying a dp2m.

However I would like test a few things before spending:
how I get a long with processing dp2m-raw files with spp, if my computer copes with its large files etc.

So could some of you please share a dp2m-raw file.!! (I did not succeed to find a original raw file in the internet.)

Thanks.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2012, 06:27:24 am »

I´ve been following this thread for a while and begin considering buying a dp2m.

However I would like test a few things before spending:
how I get a long with processing dp2m-raw files with spp, if my computer copes with its large files etc.

So could some of you please share a dp2m-raw file.!! (I did not succeed to find a original raw file in the internet.)

Thanks.

You have some X3F for test here ;)

http://pond.org.uk/galleries/DP2M/slides/SDIM0889.html

Foveonic

« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:21 am »

Hello...

I have been following the Red dot/grid/blotch phenomenon with some interest.  While searching the web it is noted that the Sigma DP Series is not the only manufacturer with this issue.  Sony and Olympus examples exist.  So, I was wondering about a couple of things that I will test when I get the chance.  

Does a lens shade or polarizer minimize or negate this effect when combined with a slight angle of 1 to 2 degree offset from directly into the sun have a positive effect. Does stopping down versus wide open or exposure length have an effect?

We all want our cameras to handle our own personal shooting situations.  This is not a big issue for me, but I could see where it would really bug someone who takes direct sun shots as a common artistic expression.  I am dissapointed that the DP2M is showing a grid, I wil also be dissapointed if my occasional Sunset becomes a PS nightmare or worse, a lost shot.

Best

Here is an Olympus ELP2 with a like issue....also, Sony RX100 suffers from this malady as well.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:19:25 pm by Foveonic »

Foveonic

« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2012, 10:34:05 am »

The Sigma DP line is indeed a minimalist fit and finish.  I have had several of these cameras and noted that the holding and gripping of the camera is not ideal.  My DP2M is usually on a tripod, but for the handheld shots I have found a camera skin and grip to help considerably.  A better anodized aluminum grip is on the horizon by on popular manufacturer.  I am hoping someone will come up with a halfcase soon...  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:39:23 pm by Foveonic »

macti

« Reply #309 on: October 28, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »

Hulyss: Thank you very much for sharing this link.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #310 on: October 28, 2012, 04:01:11 pm »

How do you focus correctly without dof info on an external finder ? My purpice is buying one for framing but AF by being blind ? :/

Ok I think I won't find anything than crops to promote the camera in here, but no answers. :)

Here's your answer: This is not a street camera. If that's what you shoot,  get an X100 or Xpro-1.

If you want to use a DP-2M like that, then you shoot 'blind' with an OVF on top and put your AF subject in roughly the part of the frame you have set your AF point to...that is if you don't want to use the LCD. 

As I've said on here, the DP-2M should be thought of as a miniaturized tech camera. You don't see people doing 'street; with an Alpa either  ;)

Cheers,

- N.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #311 on: October 29, 2012, 02:01:51 am »

I'm sure a lot of people think taking pictures of fall colours at this point is a photographic sin, but I could not help trying it with the DP2 I acquired recently.

They are a little bigger but the forum scales the images down.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:03:29 am by larkis »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #312 on: October 29, 2012, 03:17:37 am »

This is not a "photographic sin" and it is greatly executed. Thanks for sharing :)

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #313 on: October 29, 2012, 10:15:11 am »

Ok. I've seen some nice street shots made with the oldest version of the DP2 here : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3105690#forum-post-39975383

It's not a street camera, but for my eyes it looks like it can do the job pretty well actually. Don't you think ? :)

You should admit you just don't know the subject enough to answer. Thanks anyway.

Kind regards.

No, I don't think. I don't view these images as an endorsement of the DP cameras for any purpose. If you are serious about exploring 'street' photography, pick a tool that is well suited to it.

There is also no 'Sigma position' on the 'issue' of the sun-spots, because this is not an 'issue'.  Digital cameras are known to sometimes react in this way when used in this manner. This is neither new, nor particularly notable  nor a defect. 

These forums are a good place to seek people experienced in photography and photographic equipment. But that is best in a respectful fashion.

- N.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #314 on: October 29, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »

Foveonic, where did you get the skin and grip you added to the DP2M?  When I look online, I don't find anything for these Sigma models.  Also, I was hoping someone would have an answer for joezl's inquiry about the optical viewfinder.  In bright sunlight, this camera is indeed reduced to a "point and shoot" experience, and I am strongly considering getting the viewfinder myself just for framing.  Also, I would hope to see the forum take note of a Newbie's very appropriate question.  Does anyone have any experience with this little (albeit somewhat expensive) accessory? --Barbara

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #315 on: October 29, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »

Hatfield forest lake (Lee 75 ND filter system used - nice compact system for the DP2M and DP1M)

and from my garden

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:46:33 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

villebon

« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »

"You should admit you just don't know the subject enough to answer. Thanks anyway."

Mr Devlin knows more about photography than you'll ever know in two lifetimes. Be careful with your answers.

"So finally I have my answer concerning the distances to be sharp according to the different possible settings. In the case this can help someone, I found an hyperfocal/DOF tool on this website : http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html
You can choose your camera, focal lens. Great tool !"

Have you really?  Unlike film, digital needs small COC. When those are applied, you'll find that your DOF is rather limited.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2012, 07:58:15 pm »

Nice. Very nice according to the fact you don't know me nor my work. But nevermind. I could simply bring you back to what you wrote about being careful with answers, but what's the point...

I came here for answers to my questions, and except some craps crops, there's not much to share as experience except sharpness discussions. Henri Cartier Bresson said once sharpness is a bourgeois concept. It perfectly fit this thread.

I leave you now ladies, gentlemen. Don't worry, I won't ask anymore bothering questions to your perfect and brilliant eyes.

Best regards.

Missing you already....
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

TMARK

« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2012, 08:19:36 pm »

Ok. I've seen some nice street shots made with the oldest version of the DP2 here : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3105690#forum-post-39975383

It's not a street camera, but for my eyes it looks like it can do the job pretty well actually. Don't you think ? :)

You should admit you just don't know the subject enough to answer. Thanks anyway.

Kind regards.

C U Next Tuesday!

Foveonic

« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »

I am new here and I do not know if it is legal to publish seller addresses so I will just tell you to use a Google search for: "custom camera coverings" and you will find it.  Also, I would stack two skins....it covers the Sigma metal grip bumps better and gives a nice lusterous and thicker grip feel to the whole experience.  The pic I posted only has one skin in place.  I now have two....and I have removed the grip as I am holding out for a nice half case when they come out and they never accomodate anthing other than the factory body.  Or a Franiec grip when Richard gets around to making them....Just search: Franiec or Flipbac for the grip ideas...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:24:00 pm by Foveonic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54   Go Up