Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615117 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2012, 01:13:57 pm »

Hello Focus Group.

Me too I use this foveon to make reproductions. I didn't tried yet with the DP2m but did some contract with the SD1m. Very very good results under controlled light.

But I used the DP2m to shoot products and design and it work great for now. The following example is a 1963 Bieffe Boby who I use in my workshop for painting and all. Bad example too I did it in some minutes so do not judge me on the poor technique of this shoot ;)

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

TMARK

« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2012, 03:27:58 pm »

I suppose you can sync it to strobes with PW mounted on the hotshoe?

Thanks!

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2012, 04:00:53 pm »

I suppose you can sync it to strobes with PW mounted on the hotshoe?
Thanks!

Exactly.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »

\\~Hogwarts~// I do not crop this time but I think you all get it ;)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2012, 05:37:43 pm »

Where the D800e fail and were a foveon win big times ;)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2012, 07:21:24 pm »

Where the D800e fail and were a foveon win big times ;)

Despite the smiley, how do you know?
Do you have a direct comparison, or are you just guessing?

The D800E has a smaller sensel pitch, and as such an even higher sampling density (to somewhat offset the demosaicing disadvantage), even if it were limited to the DP2 pixel count. When we also include the much larger sensel count, the difference becomes even more significant if we use a similar FOV.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2012, 03:47:24 am »

Hello BartvanderWolf,

I seen last week the very example of what I say. Someone in a weeding got moiré with D800e on a jacket, a lot. With a Foveon it is Impossible. I wait a tester showing me moiré with a Foveon ;)

Since I use this technology, in conjunction with other technologies as well, I never got any kind of moiré. That's factual. Now I invite every one of you taking a D800e and going shooting a Bride fabric like in my photo ;) Do not cheat I will see it ;)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:51 am »

Of even greater interest to me would be an image comparison between D600 and DP2M.
24MP against DP2M's stated 46, spacial 15, and effective 26 MP.
Is anybody using both these cameras?

No but I did a comparison with a NEX-7 with Zeiss lens when I first purchased my DP2M in early August and the DP2M showed clear resolution advantages when rezzed up to the same size as the 24mp NEX-7.  

From my own increasingly extensive use of the DP2M, I have no doubt whatsever that it is resolving the equivalent of the upper 20 megapixels compared with "normal" cameras.  The "effective 26mp" is only ever going to be an estmate because the Sigma performs in a different way to other cameras (see above Hulyss excellent examples), and in some cases, it's subjective resolution appears to be even higher.  This makes it a perfect tool for stiching - my most recent example of which (2 row stitch) is a local church interior below - or anything with the potential for moire.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/St_Peters_Pano_Final.jpg
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:00:02 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:26 am »

Lol Quentin you Psychic. Was doing the same in a church for sharing. Not a stitch though.  ;)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zfq0wej1x3rxv66/Church.jpg
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:48:06 am by Hulyss »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2012, 10:10:18 am »

Spooky coincidence!

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2012, 11:31:52 am »

As a somewhat Foveon-skeptic (not about the merits of the technology but rather its implementation), I should chime in here to say that the DP2M has just blown me away.

Michael used the 'Merrills' almost exclusively on our recent outing, whereas I lugged the D800E kit.  Simply put, the accutance of the DP2M files blew me away (it's so true I said it twice in two successive paragraphs).

I've seen the absolute goodness an 800E is capable of, but I have also seen some not-so inspiring things - the same things I have seen crop up at times with every digital cam to date, namely mushy detail at closer-to-infinity distance in landscape. ( Save for the Phase on an Alpa -- others' not mine, I have neither the time nor the patience).

I can safely say that the DP2M (and only the DP2M - not necessarily the DP1 or the SD1) is a true rival to the very best 35mm CMOS cameras.  You have to see the files to understand.

My sense is that this is the result of a superb (because it is so simple) lens matched perfectly to the sensor. The same sensor on the SD1 simply didn't produce results quite like this in our shoot-out last fall.  Similarly, while the DP1 is very good, it is not quite to the standard of its  brother. Indeed, on Sigma's website some of the DP1 landscape shots show some pretty mushy detail, whereas the DP2 shots are all cracklingly sharp.

In a way, the DP2M is kind of like a mini tech-cam, the little-brother of a an IQ back with a perfectly matched Rody Digitar.  And it's only slightly less annoying to use  :D ;D (kidding). 

That said, I find the design of the DPs brilliant, but they kind of suck as cameras. 

Best analogy I have found to date is to the "Texas Leicas" - the Fuji 690s, which came in virtually identical focal lengths.  Those were my favourite landscape cameras for many years, so perhaps a pair of DPs might not be such a bad way to go!

Happy shooting!

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:34 pm »

ndelvin !! this is a declaration of love  ;D I feel you about to crack ;)

Ligament

« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2012, 01:34:36 pm »

I agree, the magic is not only in the sensor, but rather the perfect pairing of a brutally sharp lens to its sensor. I'm fairly certain had the lens not be mated to this sensor, the accutance would be not nearly as perfect.

Also, the programmer of Raw Developer will have support for the DP Merrill series later this month! It would be heaven to get away from this god awful SPP.

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2012, 02:17:46 pm »

Ligament, it's Mac only.  Not for Windows.

I just ordered the camera and am now wishing for a Lightroom solution.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »

I want to give credit to Michael, Quentin, and Hulyss for all influencing $1,500 out of my pocket.

I really appreciate all of your experience and sample images.  Thank you!
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2012, 02:44:35 pm »

I want to give credit to Michael, Quentin, and Hulyss for all influencing $1,500 out of my pocket.

I really appreciate all of your experience and sample images.  Thank you!

Thanks - but it's money well spent!

NigelC

« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2012, 04:04:36 pm »

Finally bitten the bullet and got an ex-demo version from Clifton Cameras for a suitable reduction!

I'm not sure (have an aversion to reading specs) of raw file size or how sensitive read/write speeds are to class of SD card - is a normal Class 10 card sufficient - 30 or 45Mbs? or reversing the question, what sort of card will significantly hamper speed of reording/playback?

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2012, 04:49:36 pm »

Hello NigelC,

Personally I use a Sandisk (always this brand) 16GB Extreme Pro @ 95Mb/s. I do not really care at the write speed because of the buffer. You can also continue setting the camera wile she's eating the files ;)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:32 pm »

Finally bitten the bullet and got an ex-demo version from Clifton Cameras for a suitable reduction!

I'm not sure (have an aversion to reading specs) of raw file size or how sensitive read/write speeds are to class of SD card - is a normal Class 10 card sufficient - 30 or 45Mbs? or reversing the question, what sort of card will significantly hamper speed of reording/playback?

The buffer is the bugger, not the card.  I've used 30, 45, and 90 MB/s cards and can't tell any difference, even with drive mode at "as fast as possible".

Fwiw, there is very little about the camera that would encourage me to use it for action photography.  It is a relatively slow-to-use camera that has many of what are politely called "quirks", and makes files that are awkward to use well.  I see nothing about it that rewards creating excess data.

The buffer holds 7 RAW exposures.  If your situation requires that you shoot in bursts of more than 7, or more bursts than maybe one every minute (don't have a figure), this is (vigorously) not the camera for that situation.

RAW files are mostly c. 45 MB.

NancyP

DP2M tooooo tempting as perfect backpacking landscape camera
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2012, 06:35:47 pm »

Knock it off, guys - I am trying to save money here!  :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54   Go Up