Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615255 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 05:38:54 am »

Using the close-up lens outside its comfort zone

I do some commercial stock food photography.  No, the DP2M is NOT best suited to it, but at a pinch it can work very well. the biggest issue is noise if the image is underexposed (which this was slightly).  In this shot, there was a fair bit of noise in the original decode top left and in the reds, and NR had to be turned up in Sigma Photo Pro to reduce it in the top left corner, and the out of focus raspberry in particular.  A touch of selective lens blur apled completed the job.

Then I ate it  ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:41:03 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »

Railway workers, DP2M, Mono in PS with toning

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »

Some random photos from my daily running trip :) Right click show picture.

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 08:03:19 pm »

How can I get this quality lens on D800e?

Robert Moore

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 10:03:16 pm »

I am sure one exists for the D800e... but it is really the interaction...lens, sensor, firmware.

I bought a DP2 Merrill ... and after a week purchased another. It sits in the closet should anything happen to
the first.

I have never had a camera that elicits such a strong response...it is like a Mamiya 7 and a Rollie 35 Platinum rolled
into one. Seems much wider at times than a 45 equivalent.

And I normally shoot Leica S2 and now a Canon 1DX...but for portable low iso it is unparalleled.

Who would have guessed....My Sigma DP1 was magical ... about 5 percent of the time. This hits 90 plus..

Bob
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:05:44 pm by Robert Moore »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:38 am »

Ok so here is some fresh news ;) :

SIGMA DP2m Firmware available. Not a pussy firmware at all, AF speed is now mind blowing, ISO can be increased by 1/3 stops ... and so on. Just awesome.

http://www.sigma-dp.com/download/dp2m-firmware.html

http://www.sigma-dp.com/data/DP2m_data/DP2M_FW_1.01_EN.pdf

An SIGMA photo Pro 5 have been updated. The gost update in it is the banding removal ;) Just awesome too.

http://www.sigma-dp.com/download/photopro.html

While other brands announce some exciting and not so exiting products and devices, SIGMA just blow our mind again. Well done.

AFairley

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2012, 09:06:42 am »

How can I get this quality lens on D800e?

Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm, $1800.  ;)

artobest

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2012, 04:35:29 am »

(... green edges ...)
Still there in shadow or underexposed areas.  Probably the wost problem (for me ).  Something Sigma need to work on to provide some kind of correction in their software.  Of course it is possible to address the issue in Photoshop, but it takes time and is a particular issue with something the DP2M is otherwise very well suited for - stitching

Could someone please post an example of this? I'm not sure whether the issue is a green periphery of the entire image or green fringing within the image ...

Ta!

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2012, 07:06:44 am »

Gradations :) ... at f4 , not even 2.8

photodan

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2012, 03:39:09 pm »

Despite some reported issues with color transitions, based on the good reports here including Michael's review I've decided to take the plunge and buy a DP2M with a Sigma VF-21 optical viewfinder. As with all cameras I've tried to buy in the last year it's on backorder.

The main reason I'm posting this bit of personal info is in case the following is helpful to others: the Lens Hood availability issue.  I could not find a retailer that carries the dedicated lens hood (LH2-01), so I ordered it directly from Sigma USA yesterday from here  http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/lens-hood-lh2-01-for-dp2-merrill and it has now been shipped!

The following might be worthy of another thread someday:  I have a feeling I'm going to come full circle in my photo life - started out with an Olympus XA in 1981, went to 35mmSLRs, stereo,  medium format & large format (everything under the sun from 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x17, SLRs, twin lens reflex, rangefinders;  4x5", 5x7, 8x10 field cameras), 35 full frame DSLR (can't afford medium format digital), and find that for type of shots I now usually take,  I don't really need a DSLR, as long as I can get comparable image quality for moderate size prints. Having, say, a couple of mirrorless cameras that provide really high quality, easy to take on trips, and to just walk with around all day, is more of a benefit to me. Hmm, lighter tripod (or no tripod sometimes), small &  relatively quiet cameras that provide high quality competitive with full frame DSLRs for 16x20 color prints, street shooting and landscapes with the moderate focal lengths that I prefer (as opposed to sports and wildlife and extreme wide angle landscapes and such). These high quality mirrorless cameras are likely to become more prevalent in the future (although perhaps with very high prices in some cases like the new Sony RX1). I'm beginning to think I don't really need that clunky DSLR anymore; maybe I'll turn it into cash to indulge my ever-changing preferences :-)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:44:28 pm by photodan »

AFairley

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »

Despite some reported issues with color transitions, based on the good reports here including Michael's review I've decided to take the plunge and buy a DP2M with a Sigma VF-21 optical viewfinder. As with all cameras I've tried to buy in the last year it's on backorder.

I did the same thing but cancelled today after some soul searching; the DP2M is really too narrow for my usual subjects/shooting style, and the DP1M is just too wide.  So I guess I am waiting for the DP3M.  :-\

michael

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2012, 07:24:45 pm »

The DP1 Merrill is available and shipping in the US as of today. I expect to have one by early next week.

The key question will be, does its lens stand up to the one of the DP2M? Frankly, I'll be surprised if it is because the DP2M's lens is absolutely world-class in every respect.

Michael

jminor

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 12:51:47 pm »

Last fall I sold all my digital cameras & lenses with the single exception of the Ricoh GRD.  I'd hit the wall so to speak and felt my photography was going nowhere.  This spring the GRD snapped its last.  As the year went by I started seeing photographs, not in a gallery but out in the world.  I'd be driving along and look out at the passing landscape and "boom" a perfectly framed picture met my eye.  This started to happen more often.  A distant treeline with looming storm clouds, a half dead tree, a pattern of shadows on the lawn, ships in the harbor.  Photographs were everywhere!  So it's time to get back to it.  I love landscapes, and enjoy finding new things to photograph in old familiar places as well as exploring new locations.  I've had the nagging suspicion that I'd only be truly happy shooting landscapes with a large format camera.  After reading this article on the Large Format Photography site,

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/qtluong/example.html

That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do.  I enjoy looking at crops of my landscapes and finding things I hadn't noticed when I took the picture.  What a pleasant surprise to find this is possible a non conventional compact DP 2 Merrill.  I realize there is a big difference between the Merrill's output and a 4 x 5 sheet of film. But this small digital camera may be close enough for me.  After viewing Quentin Bargate's  (and others) photos and reading Mr. Reichmann's review I was sold.  And To get the most of what a practiced hand can produce with this camera I will take the advice of Mike Johnston of The Online Photograper fame, and work with this one camera, one lens, combo for a year to see what can be done with the DP 2 Merrill.

John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:05:00 pm by jminor »
I sing the camera electric.

jimgoldring

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 03:49:34 pm »

Very impressive photos posted by Quentin and Hulyiss. The detail is just amazing to me. I wonder how many of the above shots were hand held and how many were on a tripod. I also started with an Olympus XA-1 in 1979 or '80 but I feel that I have become increasingly dependent on either an image stabilized body (Canon G10, S90 or Sony A55) or lenses with my older Canon 30D. Anyone else concerned about not having an image stabilized system for what appears to be a carry everywhere, jacket pocket size camera? I suppose that the answer is that it depends on technique and how steady you are but being able to do hand held shots with the G10, for example at 1/10 second or slower tends to spoil you.
Jim

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:14 pm »

Hello Jim,

All my shoots was hand held :) I actually prepare a batch of  (sexy) models shoots with this camera, just to blow all your minds away ! ;)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:36 am »

Sigma DP2 is a proof that 3D look of the 2D capture is not due to sensor size (we've seen many flat APS-C captures), but is specifically due to the quality of the lens.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2012, 04:31:48 pm »

Here is a little portrait of my mate, done with this little strange and so sweet thing ;) Heavily compressed JPEG.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2012, 04:42:49 pm »

Hulyss if you post any more photos taken with that I'm going to have to go get one.  These are nice images! Thanks for sharing!

The only thing holding me back is that I don't want one more non LR4 compatible set of files.
Rolleiflex USA

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2012, 04:44:10 pm »

Very impressive photos posted by Quentin and Hulyiss. The detail is just amazing to me. I wonder how many of the above shots were hand held and how many were on a tripod. I also started with an Olympus XA-1 in 1979 or '80 but I feel that I have become increasingly dependent on either an image stabilized body (Canon G10, S90 or Sony A55) or lenses with my older Canon 30D. Anyone else concerned about not having an image stabilized system for what appears to be a carry everywhere, jacket pocket size camera? I suppose that the answer is that it depends on technique and how steady you are but being able to do hand held shots with the G10, for example at 1/10 second or slower tends to spoil you.
Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks - most of my shots are handheld.  Just can't get over how good this camera is.  In comparison some shots I took with the NEX-7 and Zeiss, which I have always regarded as an excellent combination, look lifeless  and ordinary.  Guess i won't be buying the new Hasselblad compact  ;D

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2012, 05:22:40 pm »

Hi Jim

Thanks - most of my shots are handheld.  Just can't get over how good this camera is.  In comparison some shots I took with the NEX-7 and Zeiss, which I have always regarded as an excellent combination, look lifeless  and ordinary.  Guess i won't be buying the new Hasselblad compact  ;D

Ho damn !! Do not speak about that I try to forget. Brrrrrrr

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54   Go Up