Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615243 times)

Rob C

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #980 on: May 23, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »

Nice shots, particularly the coloured one. For me the B&W is rather spoiled by the sky, which is much too bright, so the eye is drawn to the blown out areas at the top.

I agree; the blown clouds don't do any favours.

Quite honestly, the entire shot displays the unconvincing tonality that digitally captured b/white generally seems to produce. I've struggled for years to find words to describe the phenomenon clearly and not met with a lot of luck. It's a kind of unreality that looks as if the different tones don't actually lie alongside one another naturally, but have been plastered into the photograph a tone at a time. As if the picture is made up as a composite of different tone levels in strips.

Not just this pic, I hasten to add, but many, with a lot of my own firmly in the same bag.

Rob C

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #981 on: May 23, 2013, 05:08:50 pm »

I agree; the blown clouds don't do any favours.

Quite honestly, the entire shot displays the unconvincing tonality that digitally captured b/white generally seems to produce. I've struggled for years to find words to describe the phenomenon clearly and not met with a lot of luck. It's a kind of unreality that looks as if the different tones don't actually lie alongside one another naturally, but have been plastered into the photograph a tone at a time. As if the picture is made up as a composite of different tone levels in strips.

Not just this pic, I hasten to add, but many, with a lot of my own firmly in the same bag.

Rob C

Rob,

You have a way with words, and a bright future ahead of you at Private Eye.
 Poor Juan, he found the camera of his dreams, and you found its flaw.
 BTW, I was at a jewelry auction recently (don't ask) and they had some HUGE sapphires, and then the auctioneer reads the certficate and starts snottily about "anyone wanting to bid for this heated gem" ...

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:14:04 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

juan_amores

« Reply #982 on: May 24, 2013, 10:31:06 am »

I'm very happy with the camera and really enjoy it  :)

Juan

Rob C

« Reply #983 on: May 24, 2013, 11:34:45 am »

I'm very happy with the camera and really enjoy it  :)

Juan

Way to go, baby, way to go!

;-)

Rob C

W.Utsch

« Reply #984 on: May 24, 2013, 11:51:21 am »

Which grey tones lie "naturally" to each other? What does "reality" mean in photography and regarding BW? 

It might be something we (our eyes and you, Rob) are used to from film BW and we may like it or not - but that has nothing to do with neither nature nor reality.
The mention of these is most of the time used to give hidden authority to values or taste and stop discussion about them.

For my part, i just like the BW's coming out of the Merrill's and some other digitals - they have their own character.

edwinIII

« Reply #985 on: May 24, 2013, 12:36:15 pm »

I too love the BW's from this camera.  Although, I am still learning how to handle the files.

bmacw

« Reply #986 on: May 24, 2013, 06:35:01 pm »

I'm a happy DP2M owner. I wouldnt normally post link to FS ads, but I believe this could help a lot of the DPxM owners here.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=78703.0

Gavin Hardcastle

• Post A Photo Road Trip http://www.fototripper.com
    • Fototripper - Road Trips for Photographers
« Reply #987 on: May 27, 2013, 01:21:13 pm »

I confess I've spent hours reading through this one particular thread and I'm truly fascinated by the potential of this flawed but powerful tool. Two questions - which may have already been answered:

1 - Can a polarizer be fitted to the camera?
2 - Is there any way multiple Merrills can be connected in series to all fire at the same time of ultra-synchronized panos?

I feel quite delighted to finally join the forum. I almost didn't pass the IQ test that is the signup form. After about the umpteenth attempt
I finally figured it out. Must be getting old. ???

I look forward to many a heated discussion.

Cheers
Gavin
Post Your Photography Road Trips http://www.fototripper.com

banning

« Reply #988 on: May 27, 2013, 03:02:05 pm »

any idea why DP2 images won't open in photo pro on Mac 10.6? program opens but double click will not open. any thoughts? thnx..tim

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #989 on: May 27, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »

any idea why DP2 images won't open in photo pro on Mac 10.6? program opens but double click will not open. any thoughts? thnx..tim
Do you mean JPEGs or the Raw files? The latter probably won't open because Sigma's own Photo Pro software is pretty much the only raw converter that works on them at this point. JPEGs should be fine.
Ken Cameron

banning

« Reply #990 on: May 27, 2013, 09:48:34 pm »

i am using the Photo Pro 5.5... what's odd is the images open at my studio Mac but not on my home Mac...tim

banning

« Reply #991 on: May 27, 2013, 10:14:27 pm »

I should add that the images open in 4.2 version of Photo Pro, but not 5.5 thnx..tim

Gibbomik

« Reply #992 on: May 28, 2013, 06:45:36 am »

I confess I've spent hours reading through this one particular thread and I'm truly fascinated by the potential of this flawed but powerful tool. Two questions - which may have already been answered:

1 - Can a polarizer be fitted to the camera?
2 - Is there any way multiple Merrills can be connected in series to all fire at the same time of ultra-synchronized panos?

I feel quite delighted to finally join the forum. I almost didn't pass the IQ test that is the signup form. After about the umpteenth attempt
I finally figured it out. Must be getting old. ???

I look forward to many a heated discussion.

Cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,

I share your sentiments regarding the forum and camera. Regarding your first question - yes, a threaded 49mm polariser can be fitted to the DP2M lens in the traditional way (see photo below). I have no idea about your second question - what would be your aim with that?

On the theme of panoramic photography, below is a solution I threw together. It didn't seem sensible spending hundreds on something that would ruin the compact form.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3723/8864670361_8f8fc99506_o.jpg

Regards,

Michael.

juan_amores

« Reply #993 on: May 28, 2013, 09:04:29 am »

I should add that the images open in 4.2 version of Photo Pro, but not 5.5 thnx..tim

Hi Tim, I think it's an incompatibility problem between OSX and SPP versions. I have the same problem. At the end I use a virtual machine on my imac with windows XP  >:( >:( >:(

banning

« Reply #994 on: May 28, 2013, 10:02:12 am »

thnx juan...tim

JLK

« Reply #995 on: May 28, 2013, 02:08:02 pm »

If you have both versions of the software installed, you might need to trash the preferences (plist file). If you can't find these, email or post back here.

user>>Library>>preferences>>com.sigmaphoto.photopro.plist (delete)
user>>Library>>Application Support>>Sigma PhotoPro>> (delete everything inside that folder)

I've been using SPP since 2.1, so I'm not sure if these are both relevant to the 4.x to 5.x transition.

Jim

Gavin Hardcastle

« Reply #996 on: May 28, 2013, 02:23:26 pm »

Thanks for the info Gibbomik,

I've read that some people are doing panos with multiple cameras all firing at the same time. It seems overkill but makes sense for things like clouds which can move quite a distance in between pano shots, especially if you are bracketing each shot. I'll try and dig out some more info on who is doing this and what results they get. The beauty of the Merrill is it's so cheap that even with three of these it's still cheaper than most medium format cameras.

Nice rig btw.

Farsh

« Reply #997 on: May 29, 2013, 12:49:43 am »

first one is a 100% crop

Farsh

« Reply #998 on: May 29, 2013, 12:52:51 am »

here's another one.

Gavin Hardcastle

« Reply #999 on: May 29, 2013, 01:04:43 am »

Awesome clarity. Any post sharpening on that Farsh?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54   Go Up