Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615120 times)

neways

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »

From a Hasselblad medium format digital back and Canon 5D MarkIII shooter background, I just can't believe I have been hooked with Sigma DP2M's IQ so much. Yesterday for the first time I spent some time and shot a few landscape photos with this little wonder. If you can use tripod, manual focus, manual exposure, low ISO and shoot RAW, you can achieve some amazing sharp images with this camera. The color and DR are fine too. Except the slow writing speed and poor battery life I don't see any major issues for slow pace landscape photography which I do most of the time. A few days ago I posted a message here saying I may switch to Sony RX1, not any more! I may use the money to get the DP1M too!
See attached images and let me know your comments. By the way does anybody try the DP1M yet? From the images posted on Flickr it seems to me the Dp1M is not as good as the DP2M. Posted photos all have strong purple fringes and the details look very harsh. I wish to see some good processed the sample images so I can be convinced to get that camera too.

Thanks,

John

michael

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »

I've been using a DP1M for a week now. I'll have a review soon.

Basicly, the lens is the only difference between the models 1 and 2. It's very sharp in the center 2/3 rds, less so at the wide edges and somewhat soft wide-open in the corners. These clean up nicely by f/5.6. There's some vignetting and some chromatic aberration in the extreme corners. Nothing that can't be fixed in Lightroom in 10 seconds.

Remember, this is a 19mm lens (28mm eqiv). As such it is no different that other high quality wide primes. I don't know any lens in this focal range that is without these issues. They're simply hard to design and make.

The problem is that the sensor is so high accutance that even a really good lens is challenged. A lessor sensor would be less revealing.

The DP2M is an exception. The lens is simply superb, and beautifully matched to the sensor. This camera is going to be a classic, and unless one is looking for what's likely unattainable WA lens excellece, the DP1M will as well. Together they are a killer combo.

Hmmm. I think I just wrote the review.

Michael

Michael
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:53:39 pm by michael »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2012, 07:46:31 pm »

Hmmm. I think I just wrote the review.

Michael

Michael
[/quote]

To my mind you did just that!!! Thank you.

Peter

NancyP

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2012, 08:43:14 pm »

:-\  Dang. You have made me crave that DP2M, Michael. This camera sounds so right for an "f/8 and be there" camera. Photography is my hobby, and I don't carry my DSLR 24-7-365, mostly because I don't want to have it get stolen, but the DP2M would fit in a briefcase. Time to start budgeting...

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2012, 08:59:09 pm »

The DP2M fits in a large-ish purse.  --Barbara

neways

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2012, 09:11:35 pm »

Thanks a lot for your message Michael. From a short  few weeks shooting experience with the DP2 M I suddenly found I can make some gorgeous nature images without my 5D Mark III and a bunch of heavy L lenses. When I found the 46 mm lens not wide enough I simply moved back or used DP2 M to shoot a few vertical overlapped images to stitch them in PP. I think the 28 mm lens will give me even better composition options.

By the way, could you recommend a light tripod and carrying case if I take the DP1 M and DP2 M combo for landscape photography?

Thanks,

John

NigelC

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2012, 03:48:12 am »

I just wonder if one fly in the ointment with this camera could be consistency of product. I may be totally out of date but I had the impression that Sigma lens quality control was below that of say Canikon (which may not be saying that much). OTOH it must be easier to control tolerances in a fixed prime lens than in an interchangeable autofocus zoom.

NancyP

« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2012, 08:09:36 pm »

Yes, Nigel, it should be much easier to control manufacturing variance in a prime lens, easier still to deal with a fixed lens, and it is much easier to design "normal" lenses with relatively few elements.

All manufacturers have variance. One of the Canon EF-S lenses, the 15-85mm f/variable, has had numerous reports of decentering - but if you get a good copy, it is a fine lens. Trust but confirm....

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »

The DP2M fits in a large-ish purse.  --Barbara

I carry the DP2M, with lens hood attached, in one of:
 - side pocket of cargo pants
 - front pocket of field jacket
 - front pocket of Think Tank Retrospective bag
 - front pocket of my small 15"-laptop-toting soft briefcase
 - front pocket of chinos (with lens sticking out)

IQ per volume is unsurpassed.  Cleanliness of details seems as good as or better than 24 MP full-frame Sony.  I have a whole set of test shots comparing the DP2M to the Sony a900 with Sigma 50/1.4 and the (identical to the Sony a900) Sony a850 with the Zeiss 24-70/2.8 at 45, but I haven't had the time to process them yet.

I, too, am looking for a small satchel to carry the DP2M, a herd of batteries, the charger, the close-up lens (works  ;) ), and -- since you can't put the lens cap on the camera with the lens hood attached (?!), the lens cap.  I guess I could use one of my full-frame lens pouches ... .

Today I ordered the Flipbac G2 tape-on grip enhancer.  Two days ago I ordered two more batteries, and a house/car charger.  Four charged batteries should last half a day, as long as you set everything to minimize power consumption.
Fwiw, I tried the Sigma VF but did not find it useful.  Not accurate enough for composition, imho, but the real problem was getting a consistent view while wearing eyeglasses.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:45:53 pm by KirbyKrieger »

neways

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2012, 10:20:56 pm »

Does someone know any good quality telephoto and wide angle add-on lens I can put on top of the DP2M (through step-up or step-down adaptor) to get different focal length, like many other small cameras have? Will the IQ deteriorate a lot?

Thanks,

John

NigelC

« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2012, 11:23:32 am »

Accepting all its limitations (which I could) this camera sounds as if it is capable, handheld at low ISO or on a tripod, of better IQ than anything I currently possess. However, before I press the "Pay Now" button, could anyone venture an opinion as to whether I would see an appreciable difference in printed image quality over a 5D2 with Zeiss glass (21, 28 and 35 in my case). Maximum print size on my 3800 is 17" x 34". I'd have to sell my least used Canon lens, probably 300/4 to pay for it.

jimgoldring

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2012, 01:07:33 pm »

I have a similar question. Would one be able to tell the difference in a 12"x18" or 16"x20" print compared to the Sony RX100 (the compact I was planning to get before I happened upon this thread) for example. In other words, does the vibrancy and almost 3D quality that one sees on a monitor translate to a noticeable difference in a large print?

Thanks,

Jim

Ligament

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2012, 01:25:30 pm »

I have to say I'm very impressed with the DP2M so far. Something about the outstanding acutance and almost film like color response that is special. Love the bokeh also.

It has lots of limitations however as I see it as a ISO 100, maybe 200 camera only. So not selling my D800e.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2012, 02:27:41 pm »

Some examples just for the eyes no pp applied and OFC no sharpening applied:
Crop

Is this really the color of the lips!? Both the skin and the lips look quite unreal, to me at least.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2012, 02:41:50 pm »

Yes this is the true colors. We used a pink gloss on lips and skin is typical of a mix between Caucasian and Island people.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

michael

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:48 pm »

This camera is all about image quality. Putting adaptor lenses on it would be a sacrilege.

Michael

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2012, 05:09:21 pm »

I have to say I'm very impressed with the DP2M so far. Something about the outstanding acutance and almost film like color response that is special. Love the bokeh also.

It has lots of limitations however as I see it as a ISO 100, maybe 200 camera only. So not selling my D800e.

Can you say more about this? or share some images?  I am very curious about the higher ISO performance 400, 800, and 1600
Rolleiflex USA

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
"a sacrilege"
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »

This camera is all about image quality. Putting adaptor lenses on it would be a sacrilege.

Michael

I agree.  In principle.  But I did wonder about Sigma's own close-up lens (perhaps not truly an "adapter lens").  I have a long way to go to get the most from the DP2M (I'm a pussy -- more on that when I cleanse the Sigma Photo Pro out of my pores), but I did purchase the Sigma Close-up lens for it (AML-2). Here are a couple of playing-around shots I recorded today:

These are cropped from the originals.  The crops are c. 1550 x 1650 px and 1450 x 1000 px.  Minimal processing (as you can see from the chroma noise).

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2012, 07:13:19 pm »

From a Hasselblad medium format digital back and Canon 5D MarkIII shooter background, I just can't believe I have been hooked with Sigma DP2M's IQ so much. Yesterday for the first time I spent some time and shot a few landscape photos with this little wonder. If you can use tripod, manual focus, manual exposure, low ISO and shoot RAW, you can achieve some amazing sharp images with this camera. The color and DR are fine too. Except the slow writing speed and poor battery life I don't see any major issues for slow pace landscape photography which I do most of the time. A few days ago I posted a message here saying I may switch to Sony RX1, not any more! I may use the money to get the DP1M too!
See attached images and let me know your comments. By the way does anybody try the DP1M yet? From the images posted on Flickr it seems to me the Dp1M is not as good as the DP2M. Posted photos all have strong purple fringes and the details look very harsh. I wish to see some good processed the sample images so I can be convinced to get that camera too.

Thanks,

John

Some great shots there John.

The biggest issue I have with my DP2M is forcing myself to use anything else!

The DP1M I am on the fence about at the moment.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2012, 05:23:14 am »

Can you say more about this? or share some images?  I am very curious about the higher ISO performance 400, 800, and 1600

I've only been able to play around with the DP2 Merill a bit at photokina but already there the limitations became obvious. Even in the official brochure - which has some lovely pictures from Morocco by the way - all images shown have been taken with ISO 100 and 200.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:36:11 am by Fips »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54   Go Up