Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615404 times)

K.C.

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #740 on: February 10, 2013, 05:03:32 am »

Although already somehow aware of the pros and cons of DP2M, I was still shocked how bad is the software and how good are the sensor and the lens.

SPP is not bad. It's just very limited. If you use it's basic functions to output a tif and move on to your app of choice you'll find it does exactly what you need it to do. And a new version of SPP is coming in just a few days. I think we'll see improvements but it won't ever please everyone.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #741 on: February 10, 2013, 04:19:15 pm »

+1.  I don't linger over the Sigma software, because I just use it to output a 16-bit tiff to ACR. --Barbara

The Ute

« Reply #742 on: February 10, 2013, 05:55:26 pm »

1st time posting on this forum.

Let me start by saying thanks to all of you for the great tips and photos but most of all for turning me on to this gem of a camera.

I am including a link below to a series of photos from my first few days of shooting with the DP2.

If anything it has exceeded my expectations. It is the phtographic equivalent of a surgeon's scalpel.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109721757058432487394/DP2TestJPEGS?authkey=Gv1sRgCIHDqb7ztv2xfw#

Enjoy. I know I did.

:)

aduke

« Reply #743 on: February 10, 2013, 06:07:24 pm »

I've just noticed that the DP-2M does not have an auxiliary battery and if you remove the battery for some period of time, the camera's date and time will reset. I haven't determined how long the date will last, it is longer than a few seconds, but I haven't determined exactly how long.

This may be a problem for those of use who use an external battery and the SAC-3 AC power adapter.

To their credit, the user guide does mention that the date will be lost after the battery is remove.

Alan

juan_amores

« Reply #744 on: February 10, 2013, 07:05:38 pm »

Two more:

_SDI0501 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0503 por John Loves, en Flickr

mezzoduomo

« Reply #745 on: February 10, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »

ISO 100, f9, 1/80.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #746 on: February 11, 2013, 05:13:32 am »

What is it, please, mezzoduomo  ??? ;)

mezzoduomo

« Reply #747 on: February 11, 2013, 06:35:36 am »

What is it, please, mezzoduomo  ??? ;)

Hello Thierry,
This is a farm implement: one of several steel disks attached to a tractor in a row. A 'disc harrow'.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #748 on: February 12, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »

A bright and beautiful day in Phoenix, after a cold night!

Jim Funston

« Reply #749 on: February 14, 2013, 04:03:11 pm »

I just found this thread and read it from front to back twice...... lots of great informations and images! Thanks guys....

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #750 on: February 14, 2013, 04:09:37 pm »

A bright and beautiful day..

Could not tell from the picture... it's looks rather dull and muted. Come to think of it, like most of Sigma colors.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #751 on: February 14, 2013, 04:16:52 pm »

Come to think of it, like most of Sigma colors.
For shame! Trollery, from you!

My own piece of provocation, which I hope nobody will take too badly amiss, is that although I have enjoyed and admired many of the shots on this thread, I am beginning to notice a certain tendency to display the resolution rather than post photographs which are also interesting in other ways. Resolution, in the end, is not that interesting, IMO. Of course, people may just be doing that for the thread.
Ken Cameron

Jim Funston

« Reply #752 on: February 14, 2013, 04:36:24 pm »

From my recent outing with my DP2m ...Too bad there were so many pieces of ice above the dam .... distracting

lil less distracting but still noticeable in B&W

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:39:29 pm by Jim Funston »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #753 on: February 14, 2013, 05:52:20 pm »

For shame! Trollery, from you!...

Yes, I know it sounds troll-ish, but I am genuinely puzzled by colors, at least as displayed in this thread. At some point in this 30+ pages long thread I actually asked for someone to post skin shots that do not look sick-ishly, puke-ishly, yellow-greenish. The same goes for skies and general tonality. I know, I know, sounds like trolling again, but that is how I see it. For instance, check the page 37, post #723
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:11:05 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #754 on: February 14, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »

...Yes, I know it sounds troll-ish, but I am genuinely puzzled by colors...
Point taken and allegation withdrawn. I probably thinking of the response such a comment might provoke on less civilized sites, and/or less exemplary threads on this site.
Ken Cameron

mezzoduomo

« Reply #755 on: February 14, 2013, 08:11:28 pm »

Could not tell from the picture... it's looks rather dull and muted. Come to think of it, like most of Sigma colors.

This shot was taken within a minute of the other "dull and muted" shot. If you're still not seeing 'bright', as I mentioned previously, I give up.... :)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #756 on: February 14, 2013, 09:07:33 pm »

Yes, I know it sounds troll-ish, but I am genuinely puzzled by colors, at least as displayed in this thread. At some point in this 30+ pages long thread I actually asked for someone to post skin shots that do not look sick-ishly, puke-ishly, yellow-greenish. The same goes for skies and general tonality. I know, I know, sounds like trolling again, but that is how I see it. For instance, check the page 37, post #725.

I wonder how much this has to do with the raw conversion.... profiles and curves and stuff.... rather than the ability of the camera/sensor.  Lens seems top notch.

Rolleiflex USA

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
« Reply #757 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:07 pm »

Yes, I know it sounds troll-ish, but I am genuinely puzzled by colors, at least as displayed in this thread. At some point in this 30+ pages long thread I actually asked for someone to post skin shots that do not look sick-ishly, puke-ishly, yellow-greenish. The same goes for skies and general tonality. I know, I know, sounds like trolling again, but that is how I see it. For instance, check the page 37, post #725.
Hi Slobodan,
I think your question is valid.  I may be mistaken, but I think you're less than impressed by what the "Neutral" Color Mode produces on the Merrill.  If you're inclined towards a  Velvia-like palette you'd probably much prefer the "Landscape" setting. 
The Neutral setting is preferable to most as it represents the most accurate rendering of color... at least to my way of seeing.  And if truth be told... I much prefer the color I get from My Leica DMR and APO glass to the Sigma... but the Merrill's rendering of fine (as well as distant) detail trounces my Leica.  The color can be adjusted to taste.  I personally would rather have an incredibly detailed image with color that's slightly "off" than perfect color and an image with significantly less detail.  The former can be corrected.  The latter cannot.   
Being a DP2M owner and shooting with it almost daily I can say that the Neutral setting will not give you the Reality on Steroids look that so many cameras produce these days.  And regarding the yellowish beach image in post #725... I can honestly say that this evening the beaches along the Sonoma Coast had exactly those colors.  You can always remove disagreeable color bias in Photoshop... but I'd rather make that choice myself than have the camera do it.
Respectfully,
Lawrence     

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #758 on: February 15, 2013, 01:42:47 am »

The DMR had fantastic color in daylight. That whole generation of Kodak CCD's did - IMHO. But it could do weird things in mixed color or fluorescent.
Rolleiflex USA

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
« Reply #759 on: February 15, 2013, 02:48:36 am »

I have no experience in those areas Eric... so I guess I'm lucky.  The Merrill is just different in the way it renders color.  There are times when it produces a file that is absolutely sublime.  That's rare enough with any camera but not uncommon with the Merrill.  It's that singular aspect that makes the DP2M my "go to" camera more often than not.  I never thought I'd say that, but having such a small camera that produces such amazing images is liberating... compared to carrying a big SLR with a bag full of lenses. 
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54   Go Up