Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615084 times)

BarbaraArmstrong

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #360 on: November 02, 2012, 12:03:25 am »

Bernard, you've set yourself quite a project!  I'll be interested in what you discover as to the best ways to work with the DP2M and its files. Let me clarify a bit what I was trying to get at in my earlier post.  I've been considering for some time what my next camera and lenses should be to give me larger captures to enable larger printing than I've been doing.  (That's not why I got the Sigma -- that was for fun in a carry-around camera.)  And then I saw the quality coming out of my DP2M, and started to worry that even low 20's megapixels on a full-frame camera might not give me a comparable result.  And I was wondering how others would react to that question -- what camera and lenses do I need to go to for  comparable image quality in an interchangeable lens camera with a large enough file for larger printing (16 x 20 or 20 x 30)? --Barbara

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #361 on: November 02, 2012, 12:05:57 am »

Once you master this little gem, you will be blown away by the IQ.

I sure hope so, I would not have bought one otherwise.

Could you please provide some pointers as to what needs to be done to tap into the potential of the DP2m?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #362 on: November 02, 2012, 12:33:46 am »

Bernard, you've set yourself quite a project!  I'll be interested in what you discover as to the best ways to work with the DP2M and its files. Let me clarify a bit what I was trying to get at in my earlier post.  I've been considering for some time what my next camera and lenses should be to give me larger captures to enable larger printing than I've been doing.  (That's not why I got the Sigma -- that was for fun in a carry-around camera.)  And then I saw the quality coming out of my DP2M, and started to worry that even low 20's megapixels on a full-frame camera might not give me a comparable result.  And I was wondering how others would react to that question -- what camera and lenses do I need to go to for  comparable image quality in an interchangeable lens camera with a large enough file for larger printing (16 x 20 or 20 x 30)? --Barbara

Barbara,

Understood. I am not familiar with your applications, but have you considered stitching with the DP2m?

Cheers,
Bernard

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #363 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:31 am »

Bernard, good thought!  That could save me a lot of money!  I have already stitched with the DP2M, with excellent results.  Just hadn't thought about it's possibly obviating the need (desire?) for another camera.  And as I said earlier, looking forward to what you come up with on optimal aperture, sharpening technique, etc.  Thanks for the response.  --Barbara

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #364 on: November 02, 2012, 02:23:01 am »

And (I can't help it), I have to laugh every time I look at this:
http://camerasize.com/compare/#293,291

Indeed. :)

Now you can have the same kind of a good time when placing the DP2m and the Sony RX100 next to each other!

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #365 on: November 02, 2012, 03:26:27 am »

For the DP2m and Sony RX100 I prefer comparing images, not sizes. And the good times keep coming  ;)

Well, my personal focus is to use the best tool for the job. There are cases when the Sony is a better option, there are cases where the limited flight enveloppe of the DP2m is not an issue and its value can be fully leveraged. And then there are cases where there is no reason not to use the best tool available in one's line up. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #366 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:46 am »

For me though it's different: I have only one tool - the DP2M. A fixed lens camera and georgeous Image Quality.
I always carry the DP2M with me on all my walks. And I have never felt constrained.

It is indeed true that a fixed focal is somehow liberating in that it enables you to focus on the opportunities instead of focusing on equipment.

For that kind of shooting the DP2m is clearly a pretty unique proposition.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #367 on: November 02, 2012, 03:50:12 am »

Michael, you made a point.

As you said, very little adjustments are needed to output a good photo out of SPP. And yes, with a DP2m, even at High ISO, only a sony fan boy can feel constrained ;)

I wonder what think Michael Reichmann now he use it since a long time now, but I'm sure he still amazed by what can do this SIGMA product ;)

Lets post some photos now, if you do not mind :)

Yesterday, strange weather :

And the Jpeg here : https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8r54pdzal4wi2pj/Rainbow.jpg?dl=1
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:52:48 am by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #368 on: November 02, 2012, 04:51:00 am »

As you said, very little adjustments are needed to output a good photo out of SPP. And yes, with a DP2m, even at High ISO, only a sony fan boy can feel constrained ;)

Honnestly I get great photos without any click at all from my other cameras thanks to the automated application of presets in LR/C1 Pro or plain OOTB from DxO.

I don't know who the Sony fanboy is supposed to be, but I did for sure not comment on the high ISO image quality of the DP2m vs RX100. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

thierrylegros396

« Reply #369 on: November 02, 2012, 06:48:34 am »

I've read all pages of that topic, and I'm amazed by the sharpness of the DP2.

But, I'm also disturbed by the fact that I found often too much sharpness especially when comparing with almost all other cameras on my PC screen.

Is it intentional or are the "out of the box jpg" so sharp ?!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry Legros

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #370 on: November 02, 2012, 09:48:44 am »

OK, over-hyped was probably too strong a word.  :) The full res image is available and it is indeed impressive.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:50:19 am by BernardLanguillier »

NancyP

« Reply #371 on: November 02, 2012, 11:18:27 am »

Good point. I will have to carry and swap a viewfinder and a 2-way target level (aka "double bubble").Thanks.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #372 on: November 02, 2012, 01:46:58 pm »

Responding to the inquiry by Thierry LeGros:  The only images I have pulled up onscreen for post-processing are the Raws, and yes, they are particularly sharp -- very noticeably sharp compared with the "out of the box" files from other cameras. I am applying varying amounts of sharpening in Unsharp Mask in PS, but usually much much less than other files.  The question for me is whether I want to leave my camera sharpening setting at zero, or move it to a negative amount.  Either the sensor is showing stunning results with the Foveon technology compared to a Bayer array, or the camera is applying some sharpening even at the zero setting.  I think the answer is probably the latter, in which case I would rather do it myself.  --Barbara

janus

« Reply #373 on: November 02, 2012, 01:55:32 pm »

News from Sigma:

Thank you for your recent order.

Unfortunately, due to Hurricane Sandy our office was closed for several days and no orders were processed.

We are back in the office today and are doing our best to fulfill every order as quickly as possible. Your order will ship no later than Monday, November 5th. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards
[name omitted]
Sales Department

P.S. I ordered the SAC-5 AC Adapter to use as part of a battery solution
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:57:23 pm by janus »

thierrylegros396

« Reply #374 on: November 02, 2012, 02:01:37 pm »

Thanks for answer, Barbara !

Just notice I'm from belgium and that my name is Legros, not LeGros as you find Le Croy or Le Blanc in USA  ;)

But I also noticed that Michael shots with DP2 were extremely sharp.

Of course it seems that the browser amplify the sharpness as some viewers do.
That's why I prefer to use XnView for quick view and transform and no more IrfanView.

Have a Nice day.

Thierry

sigmasharpshooter

« Reply #375 on: November 03, 2012, 08:30:59 am »

It's raining in Oslo; all is extremely grey... How much rain/moisture do you think The Lady of Supreme Sharpness will endure? Any tips to weather protective gear for a camera like this?

Here's grey weather in Paris:

http://sigmasharpshooter.tumblr.com/image/34524963916

scrane

« Reply #376 on: November 03, 2012, 10:23:05 am »

It's raining in Oslo; all is extremely grey... How much rain/moisture do you think The Lady of Supreme Sharpness will endure? Any tips to weather protective gear for a camera like this?

Here's grey weather in Paris:

http://sigmasharpshooter.tumblr.com/image/34524963916

On my particular DP2m I can see camera internals through the side seams of the camera casing. I would place some tape over the seams before venturing into the rain.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:30:25 am by scrane »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #377 on: November 03, 2012, 04:00:40 pm »

From Hatfield Forrest today; the first, DP1M, second with DP2M

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Foveonic

« Reply #378 on: November 03, 2012, 06:30:45 pm »

I gave some X3F files to my friend with the latest Lightroom Addition 4 recently updated he told me.  The Sigma Files opened natively and identified the lens correctly.  He post processed entirely in Lightroom. Unless of course he was drunk or something......

Update to this post: I had the first DP2 and now I have the Merrill DP2.  I completely forgot when I gave him the files that they were from my old camera.  Just ignore me....senior moment here.

Foveonic
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:11:30 pm by Foveonic »

tornwald

« Reply #379 on: November 03, 2012, 07:36:09 pm »

He was drunk.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54   Go Up