Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615252 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« on: August 18, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »

Not much info on the new DP2M so I thought I'd post a few of my own

Actually I have been somwhat blown away by the quality.  I believe the phrase is gobsmacked.

Quite difficult to get accross the impression of fine detail, natural colour and general wonderfulness in small posted images

Here is a link to full rezz shot https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/Don_Fullrezz.jpg

Tha absence of moire is a big advantage on shot like the following portrait

Shoreditch Kiss

Break in Whitby Street

Simple, easily navigated menu system, well built, superb fixed lens 45mm equiv focal length, good colour, but most impressive of all is the outstanding acutance and detail.  I own a NEX-7 but have not picked it up since the DP2M arrived.

Quentin

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:25:02 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

BarbaraArmstrong

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:02:48 pm »

Quentin, nice photos!  Not just the camera, of course, but your vision behind the capture.  They got me thinking about the DP2.  I'm deciding what I want in a smaller-camera size.  I have the SD1 for infrared work, and have been processing the raw files in the Sigma software to produce tiffs that I open in PS.  How do your process the files?  Are you shooting raw?  And then what do you do?  I think I happened onto my workflow because PS/ACR wouldn't open the Sigma files.  I haven't checked back on that as I've been absorbed in some other projects.  Or maybe you have to upgrade to PS6 (or maybe that doesn't read the Sigma files either.)  Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what you do.  --Barbara

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:38:29 pm »

Quentin, nice photos!  Not just the camera, of course, but your vision behind the capture.  They got me thinking about the DP2.  I'm deciding what I want in a smaller-camera size.  I have the SD1 for infrared work, and have been processing the raw files in the Sigma software to produce tiffs that I open in PS.  How do your process the files?  Are you shooting raw?  And then what do you do?  I think I happened onto my workflow because PS/ACR wouldn't open the Sigma files.  I haven't checked back on that as I've been absorbed in some other projects.  Or maybe you have to upgrade to PS6 (or maybe that doesn't read the Sigma files either.)  Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what you do.  --Barbara

Hi Barbara, thanks.  I always shoot raw.   PS6 does not yet support DP2M files, so I use the reasonably straightforward Sigma Photo Pro software, convert to 16 bit Tif files and then post process in PS6 Extended.  I shoot and process using neutral colour setting, drop down the shapness setting and NR.  Seems to get the job done, as they say  ;D

I am seeing something very special with the DP2M files.  Not sure it its the Foveon sensor or the lens - probably a combination of both.

Quentin

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:34:54 pm »

Quentin, thanks for the answer.  That is the same workflow I've been using, except that I like to have zero sharpening in-camera and apply it myself.  I trust the menu choices would let me do that, though I understand some cameras apply some sharpening regardless of what you do.  And, come to think of it, the files out of my old SD-14 seemed sharper than expected to begin with.  --Barbara

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 07:02:25 am »

Barbara,  conventional wisdom is to leave sharpning until the last stage in the process, but then if you think about it, if (and its a BIG if) the camera manufacturer understands their product, logically they should be able to match their sharpening algorithms to the sensor and (with a fixed lens) the lens more exactly than any third party provider.  So I allow Sigma Photo Pro to add a touch of sharpening, i.e. at a setting of -1 (setting are -2 through to +2).  Works for me.

Now, I have tried uprezzing DP2M shots using Photo Zoom Pro 4 to 200%, which gives you a file about 168mb (8bit, or twice that for 16bit).  In the trials I have so far done, using carefully taken shots, the resulting image, with touch more sharpening added using a low setting in FocalBlade 2.02 did not look obviously uprezzed.  I'm not sugesting it was quite as good as a native file that size, but it was pretty close.  Not a lot worse than a file from my Hassy H4D-50.   I believe there are three reasons for this.  First, there is no moire at the limits of resolution, due to the Foveon sensor.  Second, the images are exceptionally sharp to begin with, i.e. the native data is very hgh quality and artifact-free. Third, the DP2 seems good at differentiating subtle colours so the images look natural to begin with (if you get the colour temp right).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:10:05 am by Quentin »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 07:44:30 am »

Thanks Quentin, the D2pm is a fascinating camera. I may have purchased one already had it been a bit more compact (and money not an issue).

It seems to leave all the other compacts pretty far behind in terms of image quality. Actually, at lower ISOs, the only non MF camera clearly ahead in terms of image quality is IMHO the D800. All the other APC or FF sensors are at best on par, if not behind.

Cheers,
Bernard

Pingang

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:53:08 am »

Beautiful!  I was still waiting for mine to arrive, which is almost 3 weeks late. I use DP-1 and DP-2 and without think twice I ordered the DP-2 M.
I shot with SD-1 Merrill for a lingerie work last week with good result but bad experience. The result is of course quite good, shot in studio with 50/1.4 so that is 85/1.4 as on a Nikon D800E which I have one in the shoot as well. Surprisingly, in studio situation with a little dim light, the Sigma SD-1 M was actually focus more decisive than D800E.
However, as issue with digital these days, you can't help but shoot in sequence and SD-1M hit the buffer like in seconds and then I have to slow down quite a bit to wait for the camera to refresh from its buffer - on a fast CF card, to say exactly, it is actually slower than an IQ180.
Anyway, the result is wonderful although I really don't like the Sigma software.
How's your experience with the DP-2M buffer?  Although it could have not such a big factor as shooting DSLR.

BR,
Pngang

jeremypayne

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:22:27 am »

there is no moire at the limits of resolution, due to the Foveon sensor.

A Foveon sensor is susceptible to luminence moire ... No?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 11:56:20 am »

A Foveon sensor is susceptible to luminence moire ... No?

Well, actually it aliases the same in R, G, and B, unlike non low-pass filtered Bayer CFA filtered sensors arrays which have more R and B aliasing than G aliasing. But you are right, the Foveon sensor array also aliases, perhaps even more because it doesn't have an AA-filter.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 02:00:05 pm »

The reality is there is no visible moire, aliasing artifacts or the like.  In this repect it is fundamentally different from other cameras I have owned, or still own, up to and including the Hassy H4D-50.  Maybe any aliasing cancels itself out.  A significant advantage of RGB photosites or their equivalent (like the muti shot backs and of course scanning backs) is this is one defect they don't visibly suffer from.  They don't require AA filters to kill moire because there is none.

Pinang, the DP2M buffer fills up pretty quickly.  It then takes a few seconds before it clears.  The camera also gets very hot so its sucking down power at a frightening rate from the battery!  I think Sigma should have specified a bigger battery.

From Thaxted, Essex, England today (Gustav Holst wrote the Planet Suite in the church)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:05:11 pm by Quentin »

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »

I am remembering now that I had attributed the sharpness of the out-of-camera files of the SD-14 to its lack of an aa filter, and the same result can be seen in the SD-1 files.  Significantly less sharpening was needed in the editing workflow compared with a Nikon D3.  And I can appreciate that the same would be true for the
DP2 Merrill.  --Barbara

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »

Quentin, when I went back and re-read your earlier answer to my question about workflow with the files, you mentioned getting the color balance right.  How good is the camera's auto-white-blance? --Barbara

Fine_Art

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 03:59:07 pm »

How does it handle Caucasian skin tones? Didnt the older foveons tend to give people sunburn?

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 05:28:23 pm »

Barbara, auto white balance seems surprisingly accurate

take this as an example

Quentin

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 02:58:41 am »

Thanks for the response.  And I must say your photos are intriguing!  When I think about how I need to improve as a photographer, the "vision" thing is big.  --Barbara

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 03:26:07 am »

Quentin, very nice photos indeed! Thanks a lot for posting them. May I ask how the focus speed compares to the previous DPs? How well does manual focusing work?

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 08:27:02 am »

Quentin, very nice photos indeed! Thanks a lot for posting them. May I ask how the focus speed compares to the previous DPs? How well does manual focusing work?

Hi there,

Not fast!  Acurate yes, but any half decent dlsr would wipe the floor with it.

Manual focusing works just fine.  If you have it set to manual focus assistance with auto focus, then with the shutter release half pressed, turning the focus ring gives you a 100% close-up view for precise focusing.

Yiorgos

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:23 pm »

Quentin: What about higher ISO performance? How high of an ISO would you be willing to use in low light? I know that this is subjective, but it's better than nothing to a prospective buyer like me. Thanks.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 05:41:32 pm »

Quentin: What about higher ISO performance? How high of an ISO would you be willing to use in low light? I know that this is subjective, but it's better than nothing to a prospective buyer like me. Thanks.

No idea as yet; looks Ok  at 400 IS0 but thats as high as I have gone so far

Now, a touch of Shoreditch Usain, Sclater Street, London, courtesy of the talented Autralian street artist Jimmy C

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 05:37:21 pm »

Hello,

I do have the Dp2m also and use it for some extended professional work. This is a wonderful tool with an amazing glass on. Perfect bokeh, no astigmatism, telecentric and apochromatic. For me it is a legendary lens and I just work my way to tame the camera. It give wonderful outputs.

Just have a look at this and bear in mind that the full resolution picture can be stretched to 175/185 % of her original size and looking more sharp than any 5D MK III configuration.
Now we should cross our fingers and pray that Sigma work on a FF DP :)

I will post here some more photos in the future to illustrate what can be done with this little thing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:08:33 pm by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54   Go Up