Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you use inkjet matte canvas to do an original oil painting on?  (Read 12326 times)

ternst

For anyone who might be a painter, I'm wondering if you can use the normal matte canvas we use for inkjet printing (example, Breathing Color Lyve) as canvas to paint on with oils? Normally you would prime naked canvas with a couple coats of Gesso and then paint on it, but I'm wondering if the coated inkjet canvas would work instead? I.E., can I use the same stuff I use in my printer to paint on - without any long-term ill effects to the painting? I'm asking because I have a lot of canvas scraps and have several friends who are painters. Thanks for any thoughts!

KenBabcock

Re: Can you use inkjet matte canvas to do an original oil painting on?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »

Yes, you can.  I am a professional artist.

ternst

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:44:41 pm »

Thanks Ken. Are there any significant advantages or disadvantages to using inkjet canvas vs. normal primed canvas? I'm just trying to think this through...

KenBabcock

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 05:07:02 pm »

One disadvantage is with an image already printed on the canvas it can be difficult to cover some areas if the print was dark without gobbing on too much paint.  Like painting a wall, you'll need 2 - 3 coats to completely cover the previous wall colour.  You can't do that with canvas since many of the paints are not very opaque.  In this case I will usually coat the canvas with some black gesso and begin a painting on a black canvas.  Black canvases make for some striking effects that just can't be achieved on a white canvas.

Inkjet canvas costs more than artists canvas.  I will only use inkjet canvas for an oil or acrylic painting if there are serious issues with a canvas print that I can't touch up.  For instance, once in a while one of my printers will randomly spit out a few black dots on a print.  Of course it always happens in the light areas of the print like in a sky or on someone's face and then it can't be touched up without being noticed, at least by me but I'm a perfectionist.  So then I'll just wrap it around some bars and paint right over it next time I need a canvas.  It doesn't happen often, but on occasion it does.

But other than some mishaps on the inkjet canvas that would otherwise be tossed out, I would not normally paint on inkjet canvas just because of the higher cost.  But to sum things up, yes it will work just fine and I have been doing this for 10 years without any problem to date.

ternst

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 05:19:35 pm »

Thanks Ken. I was actually talking about using inkjet canvas that had not been printed on. A lot of times I have scraps from the roll (30 x 60 print on a 44" wide roll for instance - when I don't have a 36" roll handy), and I hate to just toss the blank canvas sections out - I don't print small so would not have a use for these smaller scraps. But the scraps are plenty large enough for some paintings, and it would be easier to just paint on that canvas vs. having to make up primed artist canvas - or heck, for someone who does not want to mess with doing the priming themselves just buying the inkjet rolls and using that instead of primed artist canvas (I don't know how the cost of primed artist canvas compares to inkjet canvas). I appreciate our input!

KenBabcock

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:29:31 pm »

In either case it works just fine whether the inkjet canvas has been printed on or not. :)

Glad I could help.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »

My wife also does this, however she uses acrylic.  She said she really hasn't noticed a difference between using the two.  I hadn't thought of giving her misprinted canvas to use, that's an interesting idea!  So far, it's been scraps and the occasional large piece when we really don't want to go out to the store.   :-\
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »

I've been donating canvas short ends, gatorboard trims, and slightly damaged frames to a public art project for years.  They even like the roll cores for sculpture!  I haven't bothered to write any of it off taxes, but they tell me I could.

ternst

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »

I gave 9 new 44" rolls of Breathing Color gloss canvas to rural schools in our area last year for art projects and they loved it (bad batches of canvas - got a lot of that from BC last year). As far as "writing it off" - someone told you wrong - you already deduct the full purchase price of anything you buy for your business, so there is nothing else to write off - you can't write it off twice legally, or write off the retail value - only your actual cost. The only thing additional that a business can write off is a direct cash donation (or in some cases mileage).

a.lorge

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 08:23:20 pm »

I've had mixed results using oil paint on inkjet canvas.  I've noticed that if I put down a thick brush stroke, the oil will leach out from the paint and make a yellowish halo.  It's probably a good idea to seal inkjet canvas with something like acrylic medium or PVA sizing before painting on it.

ternst

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 08:42:02 pm »

Thanks! I haven't even tried it myself yet, so guess I need to and see what happens with what I've got!

Michael_Marfione

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 03:00:38 pm »

This is an interesting topic. So you can paint with oils and mediums directly onto canvas without a gesso base?

Also, has anyone tried to print an image, paint it with oil, then put it back through the printer?

Thanks in advance.
Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up