Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban Decay  (Read 3541 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Urban Decay
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:38:20 am »

OR

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:42:51 am by chrisc »
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

WalterEG

Re: Urban Decay
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 04:25:41 pm »

2nd version for me.  I find it more credible.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:40:42 pm »

+1. I like it. I must have at least a hundred of these from winters in Florida.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:44:05 pm »

Me, too.
Nice.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:05:53 pm »

#2 has the better rendition.

Regards

Tony Jay

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 11:25:33 pm »

Even so, they are hard shots to pass on. We've had so many stormy days with dark, boiling thunderheads swimming in and out, I've not had much else to shoot. I thinkI am partial to the second one as well.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »

Almost looks like a digital composition. Was a lot of fill light used?

I like it, although I run out of reasons to look at it after a while.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:15:36 pm »

Not much fill at all. The only major thing I had to do was desaturate the blues/cyans to get a truer feel for the sky, though, honestly, there were times when it was almost as blue as the first image shows.
I worked more with the blacks using a technique taught to me by a gent in another forum called Jiro-izing which uses a B&W matrix over the top of the color and blended using luminosity. I generally use SEP2 for developing my B&W separation. One heck of a thunderstorm followed this shot and made life quite interesting, even in a truck because these guys were all over the place and not at all happy with the lightning.

This little feller was only about 7 feet long.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 04:45:01 am »

We have lizards in Spain, too.

I think that if you go up to Cape York you'll see some bigger ones there. Of course, that means a long haul to Australia, but there are always compensations: Elle still looks pretty damned lovely; Walter might buy you a Fosters and you could always swim with sharks. Hmmm... makes me think I should buy a ticket! No, I wouldn't attempt to drive there in a Fiesta. I mean, I wouldn't attempt to drive to get there in a Fiesta, though I see no reason not to drive a Fiesta once I was there, should I go, which I couldn't do unless I did.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:54:50 am »

I mean, I wouldn't attempt to drive to get there in a Fiesta, though I see no reason not to drive a Fiesta once I was there, should I go, which I couldn't do unless I did.
Rob C

Your carriage awaits you sir — http://www.ford.com.au/cars/fiesta

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 09:42:54 am »

Walter -

Strange how different the range in different countries. Mine is a two-door (called three-door here because the boot/trunk is thought of as a door...?) in black, and with the biggest diesel going - the 1.6litre. The tank gives me over 720 klicks a fill, and the acceleration/performance on motorways is amazingly good - high torque - but nothing to write home about in normal street driving.

I still can't quite get used to driving a diesel - I just don't believe the power comes in at low revs... even though it does. Great for low consumption, but otherwise, I think I'd go petrol next time, if there is a next time. Still awaiting dates for the last two eye-tests and patience wears thin. A friend has mouth cancer; he's had a couple of ops to remove both malignant and non-malignant growths; he now has more lumps. His take? He still smokes, drinks and plays guitar. He now has a walking-frame/seat. He assures me he will go out in a blaze of glory and not a whimper. I don't know if to praise or chastise, so I do nothing. Life sometimes sucks; at other times it's of inestimable value and joy.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 06:03:51 pm »

Sorry to hear of your friend's predicament.  We are each the author of our own destiny and I guess he must be granted the freedom and respect to formulate his own denouement as he sees fit.  I have a few acquaintances cursed with similar affliction and at least two of them continue to refuse to subject themselves to chemo saying, "I am sick already, why subject myself to more induced sickness."  Some 20 years ago my uncle who had been a priest all his life succumbed to cancer and he also refused treatment and morphine saying that the pain was his penance.

If you can't make personal choices about matters so personal then what dignity is there left for man?

Cheers,

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:40:21 pm by WalterEG »

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 04:51:57 am »

“If you can't make personal choices about matters so personal then what dignity is there left for man?”

Walter, that’s a reoccurring hot topic in the UK at the moment, this time because of a chap suffering from what’s called ‘locked-in syndrome’ or something similar; in other words, his head is perfectly clear but he can’t move his body. He’d tried to get ‘permission’ to have his life terminated but government refused, as it always does in these cases. It creates a terrible situation where choice is denied due to legal issues, but at the same time, the scope for abuse of any lifting of said laws has to be considered too. Not all children love their elderly relatives and it doesn’t take much imagination to see where that could lead.

Come to think of it, maybe there already is no dignity left in Man, just a battle for survival.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 12:22:35 pm »

“If you can't make personal choices about matters so personal then what dignity is there left for man?”

Walter, that’s a reoccurring hot topic in the UK at the moment, this time because of a chap suffering from what’s called ‘locked-in syndrome’ or something similar; in other words, his head is perfectly clear but he can’t move his body. He’d tried to get ‘permission’ to have his life terminated but government refused, as it always does in these cases. It creates a terrible situation where choice is denied due to legal issues, but at the same time, the scope for abuse of any lifting of said laws has to be considered too. Not all children love their elderly relatives and it doesn’t take much imagination to see where that could lead.

Come to think of it, maybe there already is no dignity left in Man, just a battle for survival.

Rob C

Rob, please don't misrepresent the case. Nicklinson was essentially asking for an advance declaration that someone who murdered him (that is, gave him a drug or combination of drugs with the deliberate intention of ending his life) would not be guilty of, or at least would not be prosecuted for, murder. He wasn't asking the government; he was asking the courts, and the judiciary very sensibly shied away from a decision which, if it is to be made at all, is plainly one for elected representatives. Frankly, reading the judgment (which I will happily send to you, if you like), it's very hard to imagine what other decision could possibly have been made.

His is a supremely tragic case; but what he was asking for was not in the court's power to grant. "Assisted dying" has been debated, and rejected, by both Houses of Parliament in the last decade: and that concept is merely helping the individual to take the action which ends his own life. What Nicklinson wanted went far beyond even that.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 05:46:50 am »

Okay, I don't deny you, for a moment, your fine print. But the basic problem or situation remains the same either way: he (as did many others before him) wants to die at a time of his choice and the 'relevant authorities' are not going to let him say how or when.

I didn't deny the topic is filled with dangers - I stated as much - but denying an individual a way out of an impossible life seems as bad as putting him into that position in the first place (of course I know that they didn't put him there). It doesn't seem beyond reasonable conduct to permit individual cases to be referred to a governing authority for consideration; that way decisions could be made on medical realties and/or certainties (unless they don't really exist) and individuals granted release or not. Why is it a better alternative to put pressure on a wife, husband, son or daughter or other loved one to pull the plug in order to spare their loved one futile suffering? At some stage, a strong love will take over from any fear of the law, believe me. And what does that create? More victims of a blind, insensitive system.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »

Okay, I don't deny you, for a moment, your fine print. But the basic problem or situation remains the same either way: he (as did many others before him) wants to die at a time of his choice and the 'relevant authorities' are not going to let him say how or when.

I didn't deny the topic is filled with dangers - I stated as much - but denying an individual a way out of an impossible life seems as bad as putting him into that position in the first place (of course I know that they didn't put him there). It doesn't seem beyond reasonable conduct to permit individual cases to be referred to a governing authority for consideration; that way decisions could be made on medical realties and/or certainties (unless they don't really exist) and individuals granted release or not. Why is it a better alternative to put pressure on a wife, husband, son or daughter or other loved one to pull the plug in order to spare their loved one futile suffering? At some stage, a strong love will take over from any fear of the law, believe me. And what does that create? More victims of a blind, insensitive system.

Rob C

Murder is not "fine print"; and there are emotions other than "strong Love" which can overcome fear of the law.

Anyway, the point is now academic, at least as far as Nicklinson is concerned: he died this morning.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »

Murder is not "fine print"; and there are emotions other than "strong Love" which can overcome fear of the law.

Anyway, the point is now academic, at least as far as Nicklinson is concerned: he died this morning.

Jeremy

Yes, I saw the report of his ending on the news.. sad thing all round. RIP.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »

Not to take away from your current thread as I see a lot of meritous discussion, but I have been trying to figure out how a photo of some decaying trees against a rather austere sky has triggered such a discussion.  :o  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 04:26:17 am »

Not to take away from your current thread as I see a lot of meritous discussion, but I have been trying to figure out how a photo of some decaying trees against a rather austere sky has triggered such a discussion.  :o  ;)

Well it's really quite straighforward: the wool-like trees led to the wee lizard which led to Cape York where you can find larger ones (reptiles), which led to the Fiesta as marketed in Australia. From there it was the most obvious thing in the world to chat about the hell of cancer and that led to self-determination of the span of one's life which, I have to admit, became confused with the concept of murder.

Actually, it's all about lateral thinking as opposed to vertical though; not to be confused with dancing that's sometimes described as the vertical expression of a horizontal desire.

I hope I've helped clear this up a little bit.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up