Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Bill's  (Read 1885 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Wild Bill's
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:20 pm »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

WalterEG

Re: Wild Bill's
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »

Chris,

I find this pic engaging.  Perhaps Wild Bill himself (if indeed, THAT is Wild Bill) could be lightened a tad to bring his presence closer to parity with the girl.

The power of this picture will increase with the passage of time until it becomnes more than a window in a snack cart, but a window back onto the time in which we live now.

W

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:40 pm »

The power of this picture will increase with the passage of time until it becomnes more than a window in a snack cart, but a window back onto the time in which we live now.

An excellent, informative shot.  Invites inspection.  I like highly narrative images a lot.

And yes!  The pictures that will most interest future generations will be our snapshots, not our bloated attempts at Art!

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:49:03 pm »

Chris,

I find this pic engaging.  Perhaps Wild Bill himself (if indeed, THAT is Wild Bill) could be lightened a tad to bring his presence closer to parity with the girl.

W

I had been thinking along those same lines but got lazy...thanks for the reminder.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:11:03 am »

Yes, I think that we or, more likely, our descendants will find far more of interest in shots such as the above for the reason given. We already have that experience from looking at the mass of images bequeathed us from Paris of the 20s and 30s and also WW2 etc. where we see a vanished lifestyle. Come to thnk of it, even the London of the 60s can be seen as something lost, and that's not so long ago at all!

However, our 'art' ventures are usually not much more than records of what exists in nature and which will, short of calamity, continue to exist much the same for ever. But, turning our cameras to the ladies might buy us a bit of immortality: there has long been an interest in how the fair sex has ben represented through the ages... wish I'd kept my fashion stuff!

A problem facing folks with a desire to preserve a capsule of today for tomorrow is vision: everything of today looks totally familiar, so where to point the camera? By the time something strikes us as possibly endangered, it's probably too late with the better examples already demolished or brushed aside. Worse, even if some do manage to capture the 'right' images for posterity, they will probably have died years before the shots are seen as being of value, which is a great disincentive to making them in the first place: we want our glory now whilst we can still enjoy it! Don't we?

Rob C

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:33:38 am »

That poor airstream...

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:25:41 am »

That poor airstream...

But its only a wee part of it! Lots left to remain pristine. Or rent to white trash, as I think such unfortunates are called over there. (You see the insidious effects of the tv and film industry? And some want more characterization and deeper scripts!)

;-)

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:40:04 am »

But its only a wee part of it! Lots left to remain pristine. Or rent to white trash, as I think such unfortunates are called over there. (You see the insidious effects of the tv and film industry? And some want more characterization and deeper scripts!)

;-)

Rob C

Oh trust me, these folks are anything but "white trash." This little resort has a population of about 3,000 in the summer and there isn't a homestead in the place costing less than $800K American (and by the standars of this place, an $800K place is under 800 sq ft). Look at the menu sign. A simple sandwich consisteing of two pieces of cheap white bread, one slice of pasturized American cheese and grilled with a butter substitute costs $5.75. Real cost is about 25 cents. I bought a gelato consisting of one ounce of cream and it cost $5.35. I put it down and told them to stuff it. I suspect over the course of a summer season, these Airstream vendors pull in close to $350,000 and that's probably a lowball estimate.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:50 am »

Oh trust me, these folks are anything but "white trash." This little resort has a population of about 3,000 in the summer and there isn't a homestead in the place costing less than $800K American (and by the standars of this place, an $800K place is under 800 sq ft). Look at the menu sign. A simple sandwich consisteing of two pieces of cheap white bread, one slice of pasturized American cheese and grilled with a butter substitute costs $5.75. Real cost is about 25 cents. I bought a gelato consisting of one ounce of cream and it cost $5.35. I put it down and told them to stuff it. I suspect over the course of a summer season, these Airstream vendors pull in close to $350,000 and that's probably a lowball estimate.

Ah, that would explain why they are smiling (all the way to the bank), even after you told them to stuff it…  ;)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

jeremypayne

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:48 am »

Truck food is what it is all about these days.  Even in Manhattan.

From the Mexican BBQ Tacos to the Lobster Roll Guy to Uncle Gussy's Greek Pork Chops and Gyros ... The street eatin' has never been so good!

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:52:08 am »

Let's clear up a point: I was not calling the persons in the pic 'white trash' as I wouldn't call people names like that, especially when they might even be friends of the photographer. The reference to 'white trash' was to camps of trailers etc. that have an echo in Britain with gypsies, travellers and general nomads who drift from place to place. We have some here on the island who love live in boats, and sail from island to island, exactly as I'd have done in a proper boat had I ever had the luck to think of selling hot dogs instead of snaps! I think. Experience has taught me that boats are always too expensive, however rich one might be. They don't have to be, but it's those bloody Jones's in the next mooring again: five feet longer than mine!

Too late; got my priorities wrong! Or not.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:35 am »

Ah, that would explain why they are smiling (all the way to the bank), even after you told them to stuff it…  ;)

Not them. I told the gelato vendor to stuff it...I would never shoot someone's street portrait then tell them to stuff it....well, maybe I would, but not that day.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up