Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Beardsworth's guide to switching from Aperture to Lightroom  (Read 3203 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

(Does anyone ever switch from Lightroom to Aperture? Lightroom to Capture One, yes but to Aperture? If you have I'd like to know why you did it and the difference in experience and image processing quality.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:46:42 am by Ellis Vener »

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Re: John Beardsworth's guide to switching from Aperture to Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:44:58 am »

I've heard of wedding photogs switching to Aperture because you can cull more quickly when importing files.

In fact, I've heard of wedding photogs switching from Photo Mechanic to Aperture just for culling right away.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:50:32 pm »

http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

(Does anyone ever switch from Lightroom to Aperture? Lightroom to Capture One, yes but to Aperture? If you have I'd like to know why you did it and the difference in experience and image processing quality.)

I thought it was about switching from Aperture to Lightroom, not Lightroom to Aperture. I'm dyslexic, so maybe I read it wrong. Is there really that great a difference twixt the two?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 05:32:00 pm »

I don't hear of that many people going from LR to Aperture, but I can't recall any who have mentioned image quality as the crucial factor. Most often it's a preference for Aperture's UI, or more recently a bad experience with LR4.0 slowdowns. A few people switch because of very specific requirements. For instance the timing of the D800 release didn't allow LR4.1 to support tethering that body, and the delay has caused a few to jump or threaten to do so. There are others who send images to Aperture for certain features which it does better - custom books or in my own case for standalone slideshows.

francois

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 05:31:23 am »

… Most often it's a preference for Aperture's UI…

That's what I've seen, all the "switchers" that I know went that route for UI-related reasons. Not one mentioned image quality.
Francois

vulture

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:31 am »

I thought the post was about switching from Aperture to LR !?
After I tried LR release candidate I switched from Aperture to LR for quality reasons. And with update to LR 4 I would NEVER look back.
I'd rather like to get a good hint how to transfer my 7 000-odd pics from Aperture into LR 4 without to have to process them over again.
Anybody an idea?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 04:06:51 am »

See my article (in original post)

vulture

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 06:26:56 am »

John,
my point is answered (although with no satisfactory solution) in your article:

"...Adjustments made in Aperture do not convert into Lightroom adjustments – and vice versa. This is mainly because the adjustment sliders are too different or have no equivalents in the other program..."
 "...Lightroom can’t read Aperture’s adjustments."

Exporting tiffs or Jpgs into LR is no alternative for me and exporting the masters from Aperture and import them into LR for reprocessing I do whenever I need a new output from my Aperture library. I am doing it because I think the quality of LR is so superior (lots of positive feedback from various end-users ).
Maybe there will be a time when somebody will develop a program able to read & convert the respective adjustments...

Pages: [1]   Go Up