Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 Commandments to Shooting MF Digital  (Read 1331 times)

rjkern

• I go where my camera brings me.
    • kern-photo.com
My 12 Commandments to Shooting MF Digital
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:29:29 am »

I thought readers here might enjoy this blog post on things I have learned since making the switch to MF digital. I share lessons learned and tips from my shooting experiences along with shots from Hawaii, Grand Canyon, Florida Everglades, and Colorado.

A few noteworthy:

#11. Thou Shalt Be Thyself. New creative tools shape new possibilities, but shouldn’t shape our style established from years of experience. Embrace your energy, enthusiasm, and passion for photography and don’t give a dam about negativity of others. Hazards, beware.

#8. Warm up, Thou Shalt Do. My first 10 shots will probably suck. The last one or two will be much better. Especially with portraits.

#4. Thou Shalt Acknowledge, Dam This is Hard. Creating ‘good’ photos are not easy, especially with a camera more suitable for slowing down. After all, we are not shooting 35mm DSLR at 8 frames per second. This process of slowing down actually makes for better pictures and less editing. Not to mention the pain of slower focus, slower frame rate, and slower lenses makes for higher image quality in the end. The end product matters most.

#3. Thou Shall Visualize Good Pictures. Every time you hear that shutter click, you capture what can easily become a 30×40 print. Make the most of it every square inch of what you see through the viewfinder, because when you print it big, subtle mistakes will shine big. Like memories, creating photographs aren’t always the most nostalgic or precious when creating them. However, looking back they become gold. It’s nice savor the golden times in the present.

Click here to read the rest and view the photos.
R. J. Kern
http://www.kern-photo.com - my blogsite and portfolio

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: My 12 Commandments to Shooting MF Digital
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:54:07 am »

Nice one...really good photos too. Thanks for sharing!
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:44 pm »

#4. Thou Shalt Acknowledge, Dam This is Hard. Creating ‘good’ photos are not easy, especially with a camera more suitable for slowing down. After all, we are not shooting 35mm DSLR at 8 frames per second. This process of slowing down actually makes for better pictures and less editing. Not to mention the pain of slower focus, slower frame rate, and slower lenses makes for higher image quality in the end. The end product matters most.

Why do you say that a MFD is more suitable for slowing down? Anyone can slow down with a faster more modern camera. There is no secret to the single shutter release setting.
It is surprising how damn good a DSLR can shoot when it is used in a manner that brings out the best quality. Exactly the same things apply to all formats really.
One does not have to be forced into slowing down and shooting meticulously simply due to the limitations of a MFD or taking things more seriously due to the money invested.

The other day I saw a landscape photographer shooting with a D800. He had a very solid tripod (same he uses for 4x5). Even had an umbrella shading the camera to avoid the sun heating up the body.
He focused manually using magnified live view. He would then wait thirty seconds or so to allow the sensor to cool down a tad. HE then shot with mirror up. Took 4 exposures. Then out came a book to wait for
the other lighting he wanted.... three hours later.

Regarding slower focus.... I don't see how that makes for higher quality photos. IF anything the accuracy of the focus on the DF is limiting as is the lack of focus sensors further from the center of the frame and no practical
live view focusing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:26:08 pm by FredBGG »

tcphoto

• Tony Clark Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »

I love me some fire and brimstone stuff. I thought that the only absolute was lighting.

rjkern

• I go where my camera brings me.
    • kern-photo.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:14:59 pm »

@Fred, good thoughts. To me, since I've been shooting with a DSLR for so long, I tend to shoot faster out of habit.

Having a larger view finder makes it much easier to 'see', as does shooting on a tripod. But also knowing that each file is huge, my hit to miss ratio increases dramatically, not different than shooting film.

The technique is highly personal. Not better. Just different.

Which helps with my ADD :)
R. J. Kern
http://www.kern-photo.com - my blogsite and portfolio
Pages: [1]   Go Up