Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Website That Gathers Photo Location Information?  (Read 1626 times)

Mike Raub

Website That Gathers Photo Location Information?
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:16:16 pm »

Does anyone know of a website that gathers photo location information sorted by Country and region/city? If any exist, I've never found them, with the exception of Photograph America. This would seem an obvious and extremely useful application of internet technology, especially if it included driving/public transit information, GPS coordinates and like information. Photographers who live in or frequently photograph an area would no doubt have more helpful information than can be found in standard tourist guides.

Maybe one of the big camera companies would set up and sponsor such a site. I'd be willing to look through some camera gear ads to get good information like this, all located in one place.

texshooter

Re: Website That Gathers Photo Location Information?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 07:29:31 pm »

Scott Kelby announced in his book The Digital Photography Book many years ago about a new website

http://wheretheprosshoot.com

I was so excited. One big prob. It is still under construction.

Mike Raub

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:15:18 pm »

Just checked--It's Coming Soon!

I have no contacts in the camera industry, but as much as the big camera makers spend on adverstising, it looks like sponsoring a website like this could generate a lot of traffic to see ads on the site. It would take a lot of work to set up, but once done probably not too much.

texshooter

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »

It's been coming soon for the last five years. The only website that I know of that might help is picasa.google.com

Unfortunately the site does not require all photo uploads to be geotagged and 99% of the photos are useless for landscape location scouting. I wish 500px.com would team up with picasa.google to create a pro version.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:51:26 am by texshooter »
Pages: [1]   Go Up