Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help for printing with Mac with Epson R3000 and Hahnemuhle paper  (Read 18126 times)

LarsHansen

Re: Need help for printing with Mac with Epson R3000 and Hahnemuhle paper
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 05:50:37 pm »

A very helpful post! 

I've just bought the R3000 and some Hahnemühle FineArt Pearl. They recommend the same media type setting, "Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster", but the media type in my driver only has an "Epson Premium Luster" type .. any idea what the difference is? .. or maybe it's simply the same.

I run Windows 7.

Lars   

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 07:52:08 pm »

Ultra premium is the "newer" version of the same paper.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

LarsHansen

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 05:31:11 am »

Thanks Walt - I guess it's just the driver that's not (yet..) aware of that "newer" paper  :)
The driver should be the most recent. I'll give it a try..  

Update 26/12: It worked well and the first two A4 colour prints was great. I used wide gap setting and paper thickness 5 - had no head strikes, banding or other problems with the Hahnemühle FineArt Pearl (285gsm) paper.

Antonio: thanks for sharing the comparison of the Ilford vs Hahnemühle paper in your latest post. Being a printing noob, it probably seems a bit crazy that I bought the expensive Hahnemühle FineArt paper, but the paper I had been recommended to start up with (Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl II) was out of stock. No regrets, it seems to be a great paper, but I'll buy some cheaper paper to play around with and make my first mistakes.

I can't comment on your questions - I use Capture One for printing.       
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:18:38 am by LarsHansen »

Antonio Correia

• Antonio Correia photography
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 05:10:28 pm »

The last post by Lars Hansen made me come here again and re-read the thread now that I have printed a couple of images (some 150 :)) all in black and white and a few in colour.
I have thought to come here before because I am still not sure if I am using the correct printing settings. One thing I am sure: the images I print are excellent and this is not only my opinion but somebody's. Let's assume then that I am printing with a decent quality.
Since I bought the printer I haven't used but Hahnemuhle paper.
However, last week I realized that Ilford Gold Fiber Silk is also a good paper and I decided to buy a pack of 50 sheet. The paper doesn't look as good as Hahne's, is not so well packed, the box is not so good but... the price is about the half.
I decided then to give a try on it without much work.
What would I do but print one image with it to see the result ? And so I did. But I haven't - oh sacriledge - installed the drivers. I used Hahne's and the print was very very similar to the most expensive paper. So far so good.  ;)
-
What I have also noticed is that - for moments I thought so but I quickly realized that I was wrong - the print settings are not kept in the photograph as it happens for example in AutoCAD which I worked with for several years.
So, every time I have a new photograph to print I have not only to choose the size of the paper but also the Preset from the Print Settings.
OK then.
-
I suddenly realize and ask myself why am I telling you this but I will go on because it may be useful for others.

Now Barbara let me ask you directly and excuse me if I am so silly as not to understand your statement but please tell me if you mean by

...To help you, let's go back to the initial screen I expect you are seeing when you start the print process.  I think I have a "document" box checked under Color Management.  Then, for color handling, you will say to have Photoshop manage colors.  I get a yellow exclamation point at that part of the screen, warning me to disable printer color management.  You will do this later when you are in print settings, and choose a "No color adjustment" setting; that is because you have already said you want Photoshop to manage colors...Barbara

is something as simple as: For coloured images I should use Document under Color Management (like in the image herewith)

but for B&W I should click on Color to change to black and white. Am I reading correctly ?

...Then you will be choosing print settings, with even more choices.  Photo Black Ink.  Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster under photo inks.  Color (choose B&W here when you are doing B&W)...Barbara

As we see in the picture the Color and Color Settings are accessible, not I can't change them.

I am confused as you can understand but I want to control the equipment as best as I can.

I have printed your post Barbara but it is not enough ...  :'(
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up