Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 44" Canon ipf8300 - best price I've ever seen  (Read 34132 times)

Roscolo

44" Canon ipf8300 - best price I've ever seen
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:06:00 pm »

I just bought a 44" ipf8300. If I had a crystal ball (well, I've got one but mine's always on the fritz) I would have waited. Got an email from IT Supplies offering $1,000 rebate on the 44" ipf8300, and an $880 trade in, and $500 instant rebate. Their price on the ipf8330 is $3899. Do the math and you can pick one up $1519. Add the $50 for the liftgate and the final price is $1569. That's $1,000 less than I paid last month! And I thought I got a great deal. I do not usually post "deals" on the forums, but this is a great price for anyone needing a new printer, or a back-up or second printer. I'm guessing they're clearing the way for whatever the next iteration of this printer is that is probably just around the bend.

EDIT: I'm likely miscalculated. The $500 instant rebate is likely factored into the $3899 price already. That would make it $2069. Still the best price I've seen.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:36:30 pm by Roscolo »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: 44" Canon ipf8300 - best price I've ever seen
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:23:08 pm »

It's a plot to get you hooked on ink cartridges.  Probably by December they will be paying people to haul them away, and they will still be making money.  Hey kid, first one's free!

On Sunday I had an amazing experience.  The printer demanded that I replace an ink cartridge.  I did.  It then immediately demanded that I replace another cart.  And no sooner had I replaced that one, than it demanded yet another one!  Three in a row, my personal best record.  $850 in carts thrown to the insatiable beast.

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 01:40:56 pm »

I'm OK with that as long as the carts are actually empty and they aren't pulling an Epson telling you to replace carts still loaded with ink! :)   I eagerly anticipate the Haul Away Sale. Years ago I did score a pristine Chromega D 4x5, with lenses, accessories, etc.  that all I had to do was haul it away when all the labs literally were having "haul away sales."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:44:57 pm by Roscolo »

bill t.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:49:01 pm »

The 8300 has never lied to me about empty carts.  For a while I was weighing them, now I just give them a heft and a shake to be sure.  So far so good.  OTOH the little bar charts are not all that accurate, for instance the indication for a 700ml GY cart when from 1/4 full to empty in about 20 square feet.  I suspect the indications for the 330ml carts are more accurate.

BTW the 8300 won't let you start a print unless it thinks there's enough ink to completely finish it, it doesn't do mid-print cart changes like the old 9880.  When I think a cart is about done I sometimes start running smaller prints to make best use of the remaining ink.

Hah!  A few years ago I couldn't even  give away an old Omega 4x5 condenser + soft light setup!  I kept the El Nikkor lenses for sentimental value.  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:52:57 pm by bill t. »

chichornio

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:52:52 pm »

Yesteday I replaced the Blue 130ml cartdrigde on my HPz3200ps (until the printer stop printing). I opened it, and wow! I couldn`t even tell if there was at least 1ml of ink left. Of course you cannot play at the limits on all the colors of my printer, but it`s really frugal on ink use and you can play "poker" with the firmware alerts until the printer stops printing (and even you can change the ink while in the process of printing).

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:18:51 pm »

Roscolo,

You are indeed correct on the price.  We were just informed from Canon on the lower price a few days ago.  This is the lowest price I've ever seen this model selling at.  So, if you have a printer that is 36" or wider, that qualifies for the trade-in discount.  The other 2 discounts are definitely towards the printer purchase.

I work for IT Supplies as well, but if you get the chance to buy it, I would do this since Epson and HP don't even match it within their 44" printers.  Plus, you get a full set of 330ml inks ($2000 value)!

As far as I'm aware, Canon isn't going to be discontinuing this model since it's been a huge hit for a year or 2.  The inks are still fairly reasonable.
If you get a tank that states it's out but still somewhat full, the chip on the cartridge may be faulty.  This happens.

Let me know if you have questions with this.
Chris Wood
cwood@itsupplies.com

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 02:21:39 pm »

Oh, Chris, I talked to you on the phone a few times about a month ago when I was searching for a replacement / backup for my z3100. Now if you had only tipped me off about this deal I would have held out and bought my ipf8300 from you! :)

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 02:38:08 pm »

Sorry about that.  Wish I would have known about it sooner and could have informed you.  The instant discount was started last night from the e-blast.  I know the trade-in and mail-in were going on since beginning of the month.

As long as you purchased a unit, that's great savings to you!
Did you also get the link for the mail-in rebate for Canon?

Roscolo

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:41:01 pm »

Already got my $1,000 check. Even with that, your deal is right at $1,000 less! Dang!

Roscolo

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:54:02 pm »

Just occurred to me that I think the $500 instant rebate is probably already calculated into the price. That would bring the price after $1,000 mail in rebate and $880 trade in up to $2069 (with liftgate). That is still the best price I've seen.

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »

HMM Lets see.. The last time These units where this low was when they where the 8100 Series..Sounds and Smells Like a x400 Series This fall..

But Than again What Do I Know  ;) ::) :o

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

BillK

• http://
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 04:57:58 pm »

I thought I got the best price I had ever seen. Ordered one on Monday for $2115 plus lift gate from PMSI.
$1000 rebate, $880 trade in, and $300 off their normal base price of $4295.

Considering there is around $2K of ink in it, they are pretty much giving you the printer.

Probably a new model coming, oh well :-\

Just got tracking info and it is in town.
For those of you who have moved one of these beasts, can I get by with just two people
or should I get more.  No stairs just one 36" doorway to go through.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 05:06:19 pm »

I don't remember what models our Canon rep told us that were coming out in Q4 to early next year, but I don't recall an x400 series.  The new printers were somewhat confidential, but I don't remember what our rep mentioned model wise.  Just that there would be a couple of cool updated ones.

For both of the companies I work for, our price is lower than PMSI by about $100.
The 8300 should be a great printer for the next couple years since we sell many of the each quarter.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 05:07:08 pm »

For those of you who have moved one of these beasts, can I get by with just two people
or should I get more.  No stairs just one 36" doorway to go through.

2 STRONG guys where able to get mine up a flight of stairs and in to my studio without incident.
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

bill t.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »

I bought my last three printers in December, because of the super year-end sales that seem to come up at that time that don't seem directly connected to new models on the horizon.  Still waitin' for the iPF9300, come on baby!

Be sure to call your favorite suppliers and tell them to put you on their heads-up call list.

Yer OK on the 36" doorway.  If you are ground floor all the way, unpack the box outside, assemble the stand, put the printer on the stand, and roll it in.  Easy.  But the box itself is humongous.

I hired two muscle builders through Craigslist who lifted the 8300 with ease.  But it would have taken 8 of me, two or three of whom would have died.  Would be better to have at least 4 able bodied men, and one pretty girl to position the stand underneath the printer while is it held aloft.  An independent stand positioner person is a big help, those holding up the printer will not have a clue how to register it onto the stand.  Piano movers are another possibility.

Good luck!

Roscolo

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:10:56 pm »

Probably a new model coming, oh well :-\

Just got tracking info and it is in town.
or should I get more.

Yeah, but the new ones likely won't be anywhere near this reasonably priced, and the ipf8300 is a proven model. I've learned I NEVER want to be an early adopter of a new model, unless  beta testing and it's free. The z3100 is the only time I bought the first model of anything, and we see a year later they came out with the improved red.

All you need is 1 person plus yourself to lift the ipf8300 onto the stand. Manual says you need 4 people. The extra people probably just get in the way and that's how you could drop it! Me and a friend did it easily, and we're not weightlifters or anything. Might help if someone else is there just to guide you in lining up the arrows, though (you'll see). Or just use a mirror so you both can see to line up the arrows.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:15:27 pm by Roscolo »

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »

Bill

No 9300 Sorry But can U Say 9400..  ::) ::) ::) ::)  8400 ::) ::) ::) ::)  6400 with a Spectro  :o :o :o :o :o

But what Do I Know.. I Know This Much That I Dont Need to constantly Tell people who I work for and That I am Less.. Like someone else on the board..

BUT I WILL TELL YOU THIS HE Cant BEAT ME Ever when it comes to price and Certainly Not Knowledge just because!!! HA  Sorry Chris! But a Good Salesperson Educates and helps there customers! Try Doing That Instead Of always Bashing your competitors..

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

Roscolo

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 07:43:33 pm »

If the only upgrade is a spectro, I'm glad I got the deal on the ipf8300, since I've already got the onboard spectro with the z3100 and with APS it can profile the ipf8300. That said, I'm glad Canon has seen the light and is including a spectro. It it is at least as good as the HP z series, that's a definite plus for those with no printer profiling system already in place.

bill t.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 12:00:35 am »

A drop down menu in an application form for Canon third party software developers mentions the iPf6400, iPF6450, iPF8400, iPF9400, and iPF9400s. 

BillK

• http://
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 12:36:33 am »

Good digging Bill, so they are coming. Will be interesting to see what they improve.
I'll probably stay with my new 8300 for a couple years unless there are some very major
improvements. Can't complain about the price, and I'm not going to cry about $100 difference between my deal
and Chris's.  If it was $500-1000 then I would be a little bummed.

Can't imagine anybody would ever sell them for less than the cost of a set of ink. My cost was pretty close to that.

Thanks everybody for the advise. Trucking company called, it will be here between Noon and 2Pm tomorrow.
I have another friend coming to help guide and align us with the stand.

Bill, I get a kick out of your sense of humor ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up