Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USA trip  (Read 3550 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
USA trip
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:42:09 am »

Hi,

Unexpectedly, I find that I have an opportunity to spend eight days in the USA in the first half of October. I'm flying in to and out of LA and I'm planning to hire a car and spend the time on the road.

Where should I go? I intend to visit Death Valley and I'd like to go to eastern Utah (Moab, Canyonlands, Arches etc). Joshua Tree is nearby, I think.

The only constraint I've imposed on myself thus far is a booking at Bryce Canyon Lodge on the penultimate night.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jeremy

francois

Re: USA trip
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:25:59 am »

I would fly to LV then drive north to Death Valley. From there to Zion/Bryce. Moab is still a long way!
If you skip Death Valley, then flying to Salt Lake city would shorten your drive time.
Francois

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:00 am »

I would fly to LV then drive north to Death Valley. From there to Zion/Bryce. Moab is still a long way!
If you skip Death Valley, then flying to Salt Lake city would shorten your drive time.

I would add that Death Valley can still be unpleasantly hot in early October… that's why I suggested skipping DV
Francois

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »

Joshua Tree is nowhere near Moab.  I would likely skip Death Valley in early October as it will be very hot still.  It's a beautiful park and I do recommend visiting but at another time - perhaps early spring for the wildflower bloom?

Moab is gorgeous in early October.  Temperatures are about as perfect as you could ask for and the weather is outstanding.  It is one of our busiest months, which means you'll be sharing the iconic locations with lots of other folks, but if you don't mind some crowding it is a great time to be here.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:58:35 pm »

LA to Moab is 725 miles or 12 hours straight driving... hardly the best option.

When I flew to LA, I did a California road trip: LA to San Francisco via Highway 1 (includes Big Sur and Pfeiffer state park). After shooting SF from the nearby hills, I drove to Yosemite National Park, then through central California (with Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, to Joshua Tree. From Yosemite you have the option to go to Owens Valley (with Galen Rowell's gallery in Bishop), road 395 and Mono Lake.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:31:26 pm »

Bretedge, I meant that Joshua Tree is near LA! I realise it's a good distance from Moab.

Slobodan, I want to do the LA/SF coast road but for sentimental reasons, with my wife and not alone (the last time was just after she'd agreed to marry me).

Francois, point taken about DV. I quite like heat, though (we don't get a lot of it in Manchester).

Still musing.

Jeremy

Mjollnir

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »

Hi,

Unexpectedly, I find that I have an opportunity to spend eight days in the USA in the first half of October. I'm flying in to and out of LA and I'm planning to hire a car and spend the time on the road.

Where should I go? I intend to visit Death Valley and I'd like to go to eastern Utah (Moab, Canyonlands, Arches etc). Joshua Tree is nearby, I think.

The only constraint I've imposed on myself thus far is a booking at Bryce Canyon Lodge on the penultimate night.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jeremy

You're very near to the eastern Sierra, Mt. Whitney, etc....

If there's early snowfall and the color starts changing, it would offer a lot more bang for the buck than Utah.

francois

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »

Francois, point taken about DV. I quite like heat, though (we don't get a lot of it in Manchester).

My last visit in Death Vally, was at the end of September and you can believe me that it was unpleasantly hot. I thought, naively, that having spent weeks and weeks in Phoenix/AZ would make me more heat resistant but lugging a heavy tripod and camera gear did prove quite challenging in the heat.

Also consider that DV NP is a large park and some interesting locations are only reachable with a high-clearance vehicle.

I don't want to steer you away from DV, it's an awesome place, but be ready for the heat and take ample amounts of water with you.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 04:12:59 am »

Understood, Francois. Thanks.

I'll give some careful thought to the trip. It's nice to have freedom, but it means I have to make decisions!

Jeremy

Frank Sirona

• Frank Sirona landscape photography
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:15:52 pm »

Jeremy,

there are so incredibly many things to see (and shoot) - I would try to spend as little time as possible in the car, and as much time as possible on the trail. When Bryce is a fixture for you anyway, why don´t you stay in the area and enjoy what´s there? It´s just a few hours drive from either LAS or SLC, and within another few hours you can reach, among others, the following:

- North Rim of Grand Canyon NP
- Zion NP
- Kodachrome SP (which, however, I don´t like that much)
- Cedar Breaks NM
- Grand Staircase/Escalante NM
- Capitol Reef NP
- Vermillion Cliffs NM
- Antelope Canyon / Waterholes Canyon

That´s enough for a month (not just for a week)...

Oh, by the way: when you are at Bryce, stop by at the Visitor Center - I have a couple of large prints there on permanent display which you might like.

Best,

Frank
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:55:09 pm by Frank Sirona »
Frank Sirona. Large format photography of the Desert Southwest.

www.franksirona.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up