Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signing gallery wraps - how?  (Read 2418 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Signing gallery wraps - how?
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »

The only ideas I have come up with are to use a sharpie or other permanent pen to sign directly on the back (will it bleed thru?), or to print out a certificate with title, etc., sign that, and use linen tape to attach it to the back. What do others do?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Signing gallery wraps - how?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:31:13 pm »

I have always used a CS signature brush, and applied to the front of the image using a complementary color from the photo.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 01:01:04 am »

Keep in mind that a real, hand made signature will significantly increase the value of your art.  Just ask Ansel Adams collectors.  When my pieces start showing up at Sotheby's auctions, my signature will add millions to their value, I'm pretty sure.

There are a number of gel markers that apply well to canvas before coating.  I like silver, it's not obtrusive but it's there if you look for it.  I inkjet print my name in 9 point type on the lower right hand corner, positioned and colored to be barely perceivable.  Then I sign above that.  BTW quite aside from valuation, I think it's very important to have your name legibly visible on the front of every piece.  I have gotten a lot of business from people who copied my printed name from a canvas they saw out in the world somewhere, which more than counter-balances the very few fuddy-duddies who object to artist signatures.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:31:07 am »

I use a silver gel pen with archival ink to sign my canvas wraps on the bottom right front corner.  As mentioned, it's not terribly obtrusive and the archival ink won't damage the print.  I bought a couple of them at a craft store in Salt Lake City.  Most places that sell scrapbooking stuff seem to carry them, too.

framah

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 06:23:09 pm »

Sharpies aren't permanent by any means. They will fade over time.

They will also bleed thru on some things. I have seen it on some older stuff that comes in for framing, especially when it  was signed where the ink or paint is thin on the front.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up