Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for printing outdoor interpretive map?  (Read 1293 times)

RMB

Suggestions for printing outdoor interpretive map?
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:38:57 am »

Hello all,

I have a Canon ipf8300 (pigment based inks) and a colleague has asked if I can print out a large (40x42") map for a nature facility. It will be displayed outdoors. I have only ever printed canvas for indoor art before. Am I able to accommodate his request? What materials would I need? Keeping in mind all the things that come with being outdoors (i.e. UV exposure, moisture, etc.). The map will supposedly be sandwiched between plywood and plexiglass.

Thanks for any help!

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Suggestions for printing outdoor interpretive map?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:57:28 am »

Are you printing on canvas as well?

Canvas actually holds up pretty well in outdoor conditions, and particularly if protected as yours will be under plexiglass.  I would use a good oba-free canvas and coat well with either Breathing Color's Glamour II or Timeless.  I use canvas for outdoor banners which seem to hold up better than vinyl substrates to weather (e.g., high wind)----and these are simply well-coated and not-protected under plexi or any other protection.  If printing on photo substrates, it can be harder to get a good clean protective coating such as Timeless/GII.  I've run color photo substrates through my piezography printer using only the gloss optimizer, (on it's own has some pretty neat print possibilities) and this seems to impart a water-proof/resistant finish and UV protection, though certainly not the intended purpose of the gloss optimizer.

I do have a 7.5 foot panorama on stretched canvas on display outside, but under a patio.  BC Chromata White and Glamour II.  It's holding up quite well....

ken

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:02:39 pm »

I don't think canvas is going to hold up. Hard to believe that canvas isn't going to buckle no matter how "sandwiched" it is. I would use Phototex. Spray with protective coat. I've got some Phototex that has been outside protected only by an acrylic spray for a few months now, but it is under a roof (porch). Sandwiched between plex I would expect the Phototex to last at least a year or two, maybe longer depending on the integrity of the plex sandwich. I think Phototex definitely will outperform canvas for this application.

I did an outdoor sign for my business. Printed on z3100 on HP Adhesive Vinyl. I put it up in time for an event we had here, then lazily never took it down to spray it with anything. So it stayed in full sun and weather exposure. Held up for about a year, but was noticeably fading at 6 months. Applying the vinyl is a skill and craft all it's own and a royal pain. The Phototex you can pull up and reapply.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:07:46 pm by Roscolo »

framah

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:24:34 pm »

Print it, laminate it and dry mount it to the plywood substrate. The plexi overlay will help keep it from being damaged. In fact, a piece of AR (abrasion resistant) plexi will be even better.

When you laminate it, let the laminate overlap the edge by a bit so it seals against moisture wicking in from the edges.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:50:10 pm »

I would try printing on aluminum sheets and then sealing it with an inkjet varnish product.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Randy Carone

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:03:31 pm »

framah's got it. I'd use adhesive-backed vinyl, laminate and mount to painted plywood. The wood should be painted front, back and sides to seal out moisture. Unfortunately, you should wait a week or more before mounting the print to make certain that the paint is fully out-gassed. Good advice on leaving extra lam around the edges to seal the print.
Randy Carone

RMB

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »

Thank you so much, everyone!  This has been a tremendous help.  I hope that as I become more experienced I am able to return the favour to the forum and offer advice when I can.

Cheers,
Ryan

framah

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:58:25 pm »

Thank you so much, everyone!  This has been a tremendous help.  I hope that as I become more experienced I am able to return the favour to the forum and offer advice when I can.

Cheers,
Ryan

We prefer chocolate chip cookies!! ;D
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Darrel

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

I would contact a couple of local sign shops for a quote for a quality vinyl media print mounted to a dibond substrate with over laminate protection.  Leave outdoor prints for the pros with proper solvent printers and materials.  Since the sign industry is very competitive you may be surprised at the price.  This product will last a long time, unless the sign shop cheaps out or is incompetent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up