Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving images in Chrome  (Read 6423 times)

mbalensiefer

Saving images in Chrome
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:36 am »

Hi!
 When Web browsers save images such as (an opened) jpeg locally, does the jpeg get re-compressed, or does the browser download the original file without creating a destructive edit?

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Saving images in Chrome
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »

I'm not a techie in such matters but logic tells me that since you are not opening the file, simply viewing it in a browser, then copying it, no destruction or compression would occur.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:06:59 pm »

Hi!
 When Web browsers save images such as (an opened) jpeg locally, does the jpeg get re-compressed, or does the browser download the original file without creating a destructive edit?

I'd be surprised if it did anything other than download and save the file, non-destructively.

Jeremy

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »

Post a picture.  Download and save it.  Layer it with the original in Photoshop.  Change the top layer mode to "Difference."  If there is any difference, you will think you are having an LSD flashback.

Tell me what you see, because I am too lazy to try that myself.   :)

mbalensiefer

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:58:59 pm »

Here is my result.

In Photoshop, however, if I use the levels slider on the difference layer, I can see a big difference! Am I supposed to see a difference?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 01:20:08 am »

If that's what you get, there is no difference!   Only differences will light up, editing one of the images creates a difference which will light up on any pixels that don't match on both layers.  Assuming the top layer of the two images is in Difference mode.

Edit...but don't assume that sites that accept uploaded pictures will not resize or compress them before making them available for download.  Obviously the one you used left your file intact, they get a gold star.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:29:44 am by bill t. »
Pages: [1]   Go Up