Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with lost website featuring best landscape vantage points  (Read 5266 times)

firefox23508

I have lost the web link I'd been saving to a landscape photographer's website who had produced detailed location and driving guides for the best photo vantage points all over the US but primarily for the Southwest and national parks. The guides could be purchased individually or as a set for for around $300 or so.

Does anyone know the website I'm referring too? I finally decided I wanted to buy the set and now have lost it. Any leads would be most appreciated.

francois

Re: Help with lost website featuring best landscape vantage points
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:32:28 am »

I have lost the web link I'd been saving to a landscape photographer's website who had produced detailed location and driving guides for the best photo vantage points all over the US but primarily for the Southwest and national parks. The guides could be purchased individually or as a set for for around $300 or so.

Does anyone know the website I'm referring too? I finally decided I wanted to buy the set and now have lost it. Any leads would be most appreciated.

Could it be Photograph America (here)?
Francois

firefox23508

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:58:25 pm »

Yes! That's it!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

francois

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:21:42 am »

Yes! That's it!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

You're welcome!
Francois

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:48:45 am »

I'm curious.  Why would you want to shoot an image from the exact location someone else has already used?

francois

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:49:14 am »

firefox23508 might not want to duplicate the shots but only know the potential of different locations…
Francois

texshooter

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 06:37:23 pm »

Why would you want to shoot an image from the exact location someone else has already used?

Every inch of this planet has been photographed by somebody, so why not go for the best view? We all can't be Ansel.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »

The Photograph America newsletters are a tremendous resource.  I use them all the time in my travels and never with the intent of replicating someone else's photo.  The guides provide great information about an area.  It's up to us as photographers/artists to produce our own unique work regardless of whether we're in the middle of nowhere or at Delicate Arch, Schwabacher Landing or Badwater. 

texshooter

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:37:16 am »

This video says it all.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wf3EImh17Y8

It's better to do something great than to be someone great. Learn to love the ordinary.

Fortune cookie drivel I admit, but what can you do.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:56:14 am by texshooter »

firefox23508

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 08:25:18 pm »

Again, thanks to Francois, I found the website and subscribed to the newsletters and bought all the back issues.  They arrived today on a thumb drive and I just finished giving them a look see.  WOW!  They are incredible and worth every penny.  As far as gdwhalen's somewhat condescending question, the other comments are accurate.  No, I do not want to duplicate Mr. Hitch's photographs--his newsletters get you to a location, trail, or area that are known or that he has discovered to be fertile ground for photographers.  I have never been to Arches National Park as an example, and it is nice to have driving directions to get in the general vicinity of the vantage points I would most want to get to in a limited amount of time.  I will interpret a scene my way and not copy someone else. I urge anyone who has not visited photographamerica.com to do so--you won't be disappointed!

francois

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 05:00:46 am »

Again, thanks to Francois, I found the website and subscribed to the newsletters and bought all the back issues.  They arrived today on a thumb drive and I just finished giving them a look see.  WOW!  They are incredible and worth every penny.  As far as gdwhalen's somewhat condescending question, the other comments are accurate.  No, I do not want to duplicate Mr. Hitch's photographs--his newsletters get you to a location, trail, or area that are known or that he has discovered to be fertile ground for photographers.  I have never been to Arches National Park as an example, and it is nice to have driving directions to get in the general vicinity of the vantage points I would most want to get to in a limited amount of time.  I will interpret a scene my way and not copy someone else. I urge anyone who has not visited photographamerica.com to do so--you won't be disappointed!

I would only add that you might also be interested in Laurent Martres' books (link).
Francois

dreed

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 09:12:33 am »

I'm curious.  Why would you want to shoot an image from the exact location someone else has already used?

Because quite often the best location to shoot an image is also the best location to see it with your own eyes.

Taking a photograph gives you a way to remember that, if nothing else.

firefox23508

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:36:20 am »

From the two relatively negative comments so far on this thread, I'm not sure I understand why anyone opposed to visiting vantage points and photo sites visited and recommended by others would even look at this particular section of the forum.  It is clearly for those who do wish to visit sites others recommend. I mean, it seems a waste of time for them. 

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 11:22:20 am »

From the two relatively negative comments so far on this thread, I'm not sure I understand why anyone opposed to visiting vantage points and photo sites visited and recommended by others would even look at this particular section of the forum.  It is clearly for those who do wish to visit sites others recommend. I mean, it seems a waste of time for them. 

Asking for advice on a particular location is one thing. Following exact directions to specific viewpoints is another. It's the lazy way. No thinking or creativity involved. Hell, I'm sure these guides even give you recommended exposures, exact compass directions to point the camera, and tell you what to have for lunch.

Hell, why not just buy a postcard? Wouldn't it be easier?
"The real voyage of discove

firefox23508

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »

Oh, I see, folks are talking about guides in general without looking at the one in discussion here.  I've never seen a guide that tells what exposure to use or where to place one's feet but at any rate, Mr. Hitchman's guides don't do that.  He gives driving directions to specific roads and parking lots and trails to hike that have been know to be good general locations, but not does not give GPS coordinates of exactly where to stand, aim and shoot.  On the other hand, if they did provide that much information and there were people who wanted it and used it, I would not judge them.

Sangio

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:15:01 pm »

If you're thinking specifically of the US southwest, Laurent Martres has an excellent series of photography guidebooks to this region.
You can find them by searching on Amazon.

regards
Santo
Pages: [1]   Go Up