Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help from UK friends  (Read 872 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Help from UK friends
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:27 pm »

In my "day job" as a music teacher I am preparing a grant application for travel to the UK. This will be June-July 2013 and will be about 4 or 5 days in and around London followed by about 10 days in Scotland. Since this grant is for teacher travel that will enhance the teacher's classroom, the main purpose will be musical but I would also like to be around some interesting photographic areas.

The focus of the time in London will be music of the English Renaissance. I would like to visit existing sites, study scores in museums, and attend traditional Evensong services in old cathedrals with good choirs. I'm in need other suggestions as well.

The Scottish portion of the trip will be to follow in the path of Felix Mendelssohn in 1829. He went from Edinburgh (where Holyrood Castle was the inspiration for his "Scottish Symphony") to Mull where he began work on his "Hebrides Overture". Mendelssohn was only 20 when he made this trip. As well as being a musician, he was also an artist. It was during this trip that he decided to pursue music instead of art.

While it might seem to make sense to contact musicians about this trip, I think photographers who are familiar with these areas can be a big help. I'm looking for any suggestions anyone might have. I'd like to visit Skye while in the Hebrides. How long does it take to get from Mull to Skye? What are areas around Oban or Ft. William that might be interesting? Does anyone know of summer music festivals in this part of Scotland that would be interesting? I know about Mull's Mendelssohn festival which will be central to my time there. I'm also looking for ways to get the most out of my short time in London.

Thanks to all for reading this long post and any suggestions made.
Pages: [1]   Go Up