Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy locale for a photog on the go?  (Read 2889 times)

texshooter

Easy locale for a photog on the go?
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:18:01 am »

Can someone recommend a beautiful location (and time of year) to shoot in the U.S. that I can take a flight to and stay 3 days and no more. The location must not be climatically challenging--that is, minimal driving, not freezing or scortching weather, no fanged critters or armed bandits. I have a day job so my photo safaris are limited to weekends. Need somewhere both simple but breathtaking. I live in los Angeles, so the closer the better but am willing to trek far (by plane that is).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:37:55 am by texshooter »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Easy locale for a photog on the go?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:18 am »

Yosemite comes to mind as an obvious option?

Cheers,
Bernard

Mjollnir

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 10:55:04 am »

Can someone recommend a beautiful location (and time of year) to shoot in the U.S. that I can take a flight to and stay 3 days and no more. The location must not be climatically challenging--that is, minimal driving, not freezing or scortching weather, no fanged critters or armed bandits. I have a day job so my photo safaris are limited to weekends. Need somewhere both simple but breathtaking. I live in los Angeles, so the closer the better but am willing to trek far (by plane that is).

I live in LA and am up in either the the western Sierra or the Owens Valley at least twice a month, overall.  I know the area rather well.

If you're anywhere in S. California and you haven't yet driven up the 395 to, say, Lee Vining (at least), you're not doing yourself any favors.  The eastern Sierra and it's escarpment is one of the most photogenic places on Earth.  Easy to get to, LOTS of ways up in the mountains in a vehicle, relatively cheap hotels/eats, no bandits, incredible changing light conditions, Mt. Whitney, the bristlecones, Highway 168 out of Bishop, the Inyos, the Owens Valley, Owens Lake, the Owens River, ghost towns.....

Let me know if you have any questions.

On edit:  don't forget the Salton Sea, Joshua Tree NP, the various dunes of S. California, the Channel Islands NP, The Mojave, Death Valley, etc....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:38:03 am by Mjollnir »

David S

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:44 am »

Might you consider Canada too?

Dave S

francois

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:45:08 am »

Yosemite seems like an excellent candidate. You could also take a flight to Flagstaff and go to Sedona, AZ or Grand Canyon's South Rim.
Francois

Paul Sumi

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:33 pm »

Big Sur also comes to mind, during summer or fall.  However, it can involve a lot of driving.

For other ideas, the Los Angeles Times has been running a series called "Southern California Close-Ups," as well as other articles on California destinations:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-socal-close-ups-sg,1,876291.storygallery

http://www.latimes.com/travel/destinations/california/

I've been using these to help research day or weekend photo trips, as I also live in SoCal.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:20:44 pm by Paul Sumi »

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:27:59 pm »

Kenai Penninsula or other areas around Anchorage such as Hatcher Pass, Chugach State Park. From LA, Anchorage should be about a 4 or 5 hour flight to Anchorage. Fly overnight and then photograph all day. In the summer weather is mild, days are long (about 20 hours or more of light), foliage is lush, mountains are everywhere and the wildflowers are spectacular.
Pages: [1]   Go Up