Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 HP Message End Of Roll  (Read 2393 times)

hjsesq

Z3100 HP Message End Of Roll
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:51:47 pm »

When I feed a roll of paper into my Z3100 and after the message of "loading roll, I then get a message of "cancelling load" & "end of roll reached" - This has occurred with two different types of paper.  Has this happened to anyone else before and if so, what can I do to resolve the problem.
Thank you
Harris J Sklar

Roscolo

Re: Z3100 HP Message End Of Roll
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »

What does it do when you try to load a sheet?

hjsesq

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »

What does it do when you try to load a sheet?

Sometimes it loads it and once it is loaded I get the same message - "end of roll" 
Harris J Sklar

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:58:51 am »

There is a small mechanical switch in the media insert slit. It can get stuck in one of its positions, forward or backward, where it should flip back to a vertical position when no media is in the insert path or the end of a sheet or roll is beyond the switch position. The last should normally indicate the end of the roll but with roll media still in the insert path like you describe there should not be a signal like that. It could be that the switch is so filled up with paper fiber etc that it hardly swings at all and just starts the insert program cycle but gets vertical again when the media transport stops for a moment. Thin roll media I gues, thicker media will push the switch more forward.

Anyway, remove the roll spindle, power off, get on your back behind the machine and look upwards at the left side (printer panel side) where a small cable connector should be, disconnect it. Remove the cover that is at the back of the printer behind the spindle, 4 special screws. On the piece you will see the switch.  Test whether it stays vertical instead or swings easily. It can be taken out too, clean it and add some drops of synthetic oil suitable for plastic parts. Assemble again.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

hjsesq

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:04:37 am »

Thanks for reply.  I disconnected the cable and then attempted to remove the screws.  Unfortunately I do not have the rquipment to remove the screws.  Tried a lug wrench that while it fits into the screw slot, will not give me enough purchase in the slot and I am afraid I might strip the screw.  I am nor familiar with the type of screwdriver that is necessary and do you have any suggestions?
Thanks again,
Harris
Harris J Sklar

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:31:58 am »

Torx T10 bit or the Torx Plus version of that. My Torx T10 fits a bit loose in that screwhead so it could be the Torx Plus T10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

--

Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

hjsesq

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:34:20 pm »

Went to the hardware sore while waiting for your reply and asked for a star screwdriver.  Got the T15 which fit perfectly.  Disassembled and check the lever which seemed to be operating - however oiled it with HP synthetic oil and reassembled.  Will now attach the cable and see what happens.  However, what if it still acts the same way - what would happen if I kept the cable disconnected?  It appears to run to the lever.  I am going to try it connected and if have trouble will try it disconnected.
I'll keep in touch and let you know - thanks again
Harris
Harris J Sklar

hjsesq

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:47:35 pm »

Did everything and now after following instructions to insert roll in rear slot, the printer fails to recognize the roll is there and does not start feeding it into printer.  The instructions to insert keep blinking.  By the way, also attempted to load a sheet and while sheet was in tray got instructions to place sheet in input tray. Also disconnected the cable and same result.  Any further suggestions?  Thanks,
Harris
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:58:30 pm by hjsesq »
Harris J Sklar

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 02:39:41 pm »

The switch itself can be kaput and you have seen the last symptoms of its life. Another thing could be that if you did take it out and it is symmetric you turned it the wrong way in assembling. I have cleaned the switch two times on two Zs and they still work.

--

Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:42:18 pm by Ernst Dinkla »

hjsesq

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 02:47:32 pm »

Did not take switch out - only jiggled it back and forth and it moved without difficulty or hanging up.  Even so I lubricated it.
Harris J Sklar

Roscolo

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »

Do you have a copy of the Service Manual? It's been posted on the forums here several times. It will help you with some diagnostics, and walk you through replacement of the switch if needed:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/34193/HP_Z2100%20Z3100.html

Also, before I started taking things off, I would always update the firmware, and or update or reinstall the printer driver. It's known for being clunky and the forums are filled with people who fixed weird glitches by just doing a full uninstall / reinstall.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:52:39 pm by Roscolo »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 04:23:29 am »

Did everything and now after following instructions to insert roll in rear slot, the printer fails to recognize the roll is there and does not start feeding it into printer.  The instructions to insert keep blinking.  By the way, also attempted to load a sheet and while sheet was in tray got instructions to place sheet in input tray. Also disconnected the cable and same result.  Any further suggestions?  Thanks,
Harris

As written a switch that is kaput but you could also check the wiring + connector again. The issues you described are in my opinion related to the switch's function.

--

Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

hjsesq

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »

Hello again,
I attempted to remove the switch and it snapped into several pieces.  Do you know the name of the part and if it can be replaced?  I attempted to download the service manuel but once it was downloaded I could not open it.  Thanks again,
Harris
Harris J Sklar

Roscolo

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 04:00:33 pm »

Hello again,
I attempted to remove the switch and it snapped into several pieces.  Do you know the name of the part and if it can be replaced?  I attempted to download the service manuel but once it was downloaded I could not open it.  Thanks again,
Harris

Did you download all 6 files, then unzip the last file? If you do you will have a PDF of the complete Service Manual. No way would I touch your printer again until I had the Service Manual in front of me.

Sounds like the part in question is the Out Of Paper Sensor part # Q5669-60676. If that is the right part (won't know for sure until you open the service manual) the instructions to replace it are in the service manual on page 8-76. Looks simple enough, and looks like the part will run you around $20 - $30.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:14:11 pm by Roscolo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up