Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading External Drives + Mac  (Read 1931 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Upgrading External Drives + Mac
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:26:13 pm »

Hi,
I've just returned from Tuolumne Meadows and now realize that I need more storage.  Right now I am using a 1 TB Cavalry (external) with fire wire as my main drive which includes all my images.  Everything on my Cavalry drive is backed up to two other cheep 1 TB drives using just USB 1. I do not use RAID but backup regularly using SuperDuper.  I am now considering a 3 TB firewire external drive. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398863,00.asp  However before I do this I have some questions. 

Next I will be upgrading my 2007 imac.  Will I wish I had went with Thunderbolt at least on my main drive?

Is Thunderbolt an option on the new Mac Towers

Any other suggestions regarding solid yet budget storage?

Thanks
Hugh

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: Upgrading External Drives + Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:46:13 pm »

I'm not a mac user but I'll definitely recommend thunderbolt drives for maximum speed of data transfer. But NOT with adapters - try to get a true thunderbolt drive.

I've always used Western Digital, so something like this should do it: WD MyBook Thunderbolt Duo 4 TB dual-drive storage
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:52 am »

…Is Thunderbolt an option on the new Mac Towers

Any other suggestions regarding solid yet budget storage?

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until next year to have Thunderbolt Mac Pros. You might want to visit Mac Performance Guide website, there's valuable info there but remember that the author/owner is sponsored by OWC and recommends their products.
Francois

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:00:58 am »

Thanks for the responses.  I sure wish I could add more than 4 GB of RAM to my imac.  I've been away most of the summer so I still haven't tried working with my new larger files in lightroom 4, but I can imagine that it will be frustrating. 

francois

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:18:50 am »

Thanks for the responses.  I sure wish I could add more than 4 GB of RAM to my imac.  I've been away most of the summer so I still haven't tried working with my new larger files in lightroom 4, but I can imagine that it will be frustrating. 

I believe that you can go up to 6GB (not officially) but the additional 2GB won't be a game changer…

OWC offers upgrades, see here.

PS: I'm just a satisfied customer and have no link with OWC.
Francois

alanb

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:22:12 pm »

If you are buying a new hard drive check with Marie Summers at Provantage.  I have been dealing with her for over 10 years and the service has been impeccable.  In addition the price tends to be about the lowest available.  Good luck,

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up