Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: For Rob's eyes  (Read 13020 times)

Rob C

Re: For Rob's eyes
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 01:07:48 pm »

Saw this today and it put me back into the middle of last century! I think it's based on the Triumph Herald, which was around in the second part of the 50s. The Herald was a good idea, because it was made up with many detachable panels that made repairs simple and probably inexpensive; however, funny suspension was a bit disturbing. But, along with everything else in the buyable British car market, it ended up unloved and victim of union problems, management indecision, poor materials and the resulting lack of investment to make it all work.

Speaking of poor materials, Lancia had to quit the UK altogether because it's rust problems made the cars unsellable there; Fiat's sporty X1/9 (which I had for almost two years) was similarly affected and, on mine, the wheel balance weights were clipped to the rims making metal-to-metal contact instead of being stuck there... I ended up needing to replace all four, so I sold instead.

You know, had the X1/9 been given the Alfasud 1.5 litre boxer engine and some really good metal, it would have ruled the world within its segment. So many wasted opportunities. But, encouraging to know I'm not the only one with that capability!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »

Another oldie from Ford - I used to have a black hardtop version of the XR3i; I was once failed my MOT because they said that the two spots were not set right... you'd think they could have pulled the mothers upwards or pushed 'em down to suit as they were reading them! Anyway, I took the car back to my Ford dealer and they checkd and said the lights were fine; went back to the Testing Station in Inca and they passed it, no changes made. Go figure.

Rob C

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:16 am »

I was going to say the same thing. In my years on various forums, there are two tools to help get sarcasm/wit/irony/your point across: clear, concise writing and smilies. Oh, and as Rob C has mentioned in previous posts, it's always good to include a good dose of sodium chloride and some reflection.

I wasn't aware of the contents of this thread until recently. I think I have some worthy additions:

Torino

Figaro

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 01:34:44 am »

Some great cars and great images here!  Maybe we should rename it to 'Love Those Cars' - we have threads for rocks, trees and clouds already.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 03:58:49 am »

Some great cars and great images here!  Maybe we should rename it to 'Love Those Cars' - we have threads for rocks, trees and clouds already.

Mike.

That's a good idea, Mike: for a start, it would salve the souls of those with a vow to avoiding anything with the Rob C name stuck onto it!

However, as my PS computer died yesterday and I'm hoping to take it to the mortuary (hospital???) this morning, my own contributions will be limited not only by lack of material but also lack of facility.

Ironic, really: 31 years with acute no-roll-background syndrome, and almost the day after I get one the computer falls on its face, exhales and quite possibly expires.

Is there a message hidden here; is it even hidden; do I miss the naked edge; is this indeed a dagger I see before me?

Rob C
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up