Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Forum Rule !  (Read 15782 times)

Isaac

Re: New Forum Rule !
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 01:50:11 pm »

My issue with critiques I've seen on the world wide web is that the majority of them are from the POV that "This is how I would have taken it" instead of "This is what I see."

Yes - although that's true to such an extent that we should probably just be grateful when someone simply describes what they see ;-)

Isaac

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 02:06:25 pm »

Well....of course...lots of things make sense, but are not true...

I think you posted as I was modifying the comment you were replying to - which might or might not change your response.

But credibly comes from actions and actions speak louder than words.

In this case, the words are the actions.

Perhaps someone here has worked with a lot of photo editors and can give their opinion on whether photo editors are actually good at taking photos, as well as being good at selecting photos.

All these people have a body of work we would use to evaluate their scientific or artistic credibility.

Are you looking for authority figures?

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 02:26:35 pm »

Are you looking for authority figures?
Don't put words in my mouth, that's unsanitary. ;D

Authority Figures...no, credible people, yes.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Tony Jay

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 04:53:38 pm »

I don't highly value your opinion of things until I see your competence demonstrated to me in a product. 

Another point for consideration Marc: I presume you are selling your work.
In this context the ultimate judges of your work may very likely be complete aesthetic philistines who have no understanding of artistic significance never mind photography per se.
Furthermore, in the nature of commercial enterprise, one is guided in the direction of producing what sells, irrespective of what your opinion is of that work from an artistic and aesthetic viewpoint.

BTW, I have certainly not chosen to be insulted by your posts. This is an interesting debate and I would not want to close it down by being offended.

I can only reiterate that when one receives an opinion about one's work, from wherever it may come, surely one should interpret that opinion in the context of the work first. Very insightful comments can be forthcoming from people who are not photographers and understand nothing of the process. However, they have an eye for the artistic and the aesthetic.
It is not that difficult to judge the comment in this context.
Of course if individuals who have no idea of the process of photography are trying to inform one on the process then again it is not hard to pick the ignorant from the informed.

With regard to my image posts on LuLa, there are more apart from the post of that image of the Storey Bridge in Brisbane. However, as previously stated I am selective in what I post.
That particular image that you referred to was about three years in the conception and execution. I have shot the bridge many times but that evening gave me the light I had been looking for. The finished picture is a composite of twenty-four images. It prints beautifully to ten feet.

As far as I am concerned my photographic journey is definately still a work in progress. In this context I can learn much from others critiquing my work but also plenty from looking at the work of others. Being forced to commit ones thoughts to printed words and explicitly stating the strengths and weaknesses of an image certainly makes me think about my own work and measuring those same criteria to my work and also future projects.

Regards

Tony Jay

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2012, 01:14:30 pm »

Take care not to conflate the quality of someone's appreciation of others' photographs with your appreciation of the quality of that person's photographs.

Why not?

Also, given the wish to judge someone's appreciation of others' photographs by judging that person's photographs yourself; you've already made your judgement of photographs the yardstick, so be aware that this may just create an echo chamber of the like minded.

Not so, or else we would all be taking exactly the same images, which given the diversity of image and image quality on this forum, I think that just isn't the case.

Much mischief falls under that heading.

Yes I totally agree with that.. ;D

“As a general rule...people ask for advice only in order not to follow it; or if they do follow it, in order to have someone to blame for giving it.”
― Alexandre Dumas

“No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit.”
― Ansel Adams

Dave
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:06:33 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »

Gosh there is a lot of talking past one another on this thread. I should be more clear about the weighting of people's commentary.

The aesthetic opinion and reaction of the public at large does matter to me...whether they have ever taken a photo or not though I would be unlikely to accept their advice about composition and the craft of photography and/or printing.  For this class of respondent, I would need to listen to their reaction and then determine if I felt their reaction warranted some change in my methods. Lots of filtering goes on for this group. 

The reaction of accomplished professionals is more readily actionable to me.  I am  more likely to rush back to my studio to try a new post processing technique or to try a new compositional approach on my next outing if it comes from someone whose accomplishments in photography I respect or admire. 

Like it or not, everyone is judged on their production...in whatever discipline they work.  If you choose to hide your accomplishments from the larger internet community (of which we are a member here) then I have no way to do anything but put you in the first group above.  Of course over time I may grow to know you more personally and your credibility may grow, but honestly, I don't really have online affiliations that go beyond very casual recognition of a name.  (who is this Michael you guys keep talking about ;-) ) Without artifacts of your competence, I may never grow to know your work well enough to admire your accomplishments.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up