Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Forum Rule !  (Read 15763 times)

32BT

• Pictures
New Forum Rule !
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:15:47 am »

It's time for a new forum rule:

- Your message count shall not exceed the average number of pictures you take each year...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: New Forum Rule !
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:34:36 am »

Mentioning no names of course .....

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »

Hi,

You never heard about 11 FPS (Frames Per Second)?

Best regards
Erik

Mentioning no names of course .....
Erik Kaffehr

degrub

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »

scaled by 1 picture/1000 words ;D

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:57:17 pm »

It's time for a new forum rule:

- Your message count shall not exceed the average number of pictures you take each year...

You know I could find myself agreeing with this, due to some of the more vocal critiques coming from people who joined this forum years ago and yet who appear to have never posted an image. But alas I know your idea is doomed to failure, as those who do not post will come up with a long string of exceedingly valid reasons why they are unable to do so. It was the same at the camera club I belonged to, a dozen or so of us would enter every competition with multiple A3+ prints, spend all our time and hard earned cash on printing and mounting etc, only to get some old duffer sat in the corner grumbling how they thought the images were rubbish - I even accused some of the many noncontributors of only coming to the club house once a week to get out of the cold.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:12:15 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Graham Welland

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:55:24 am »

Seems to me to be a very parochial view of image posting vs forum posting. The Internet is a big place and LuLa isn't typically the location of choice for the vast majority of photographers to post and share images.

I agree with the put up or shut up sentiment in general but don't presuppose that vocal members don't shoot or share - they just might not do it here. Certainly in the case of pro shooters, particularly those in the fine art market, there are definite reasons NOT to post or share any images that might turn up in a google image search. (after having discussed this with some folks privately I can understand why any such posts would devalue or negatively affect their published portfolios - you only ever want to see the very best images from a controlled portfolio and anything else drags the body of work down. Social media is a blessing and a curse some times).
Graham

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 03:40:02 am »

Still waiting to learn who's gonna be elected sheriff; imagine trawling through all those files with a magnifying glass or special spyware. What joy!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:42:58 am »

Seems to me to be a very parochial view of image posting vs forum posting. The Internet is a big place and LuLa isn't typically the location of choice for the vast majority of photographers to post and share images.

I agree with the put up or shut up sentiment in general but don't presuppose that vocal members don't shoot or share - they just might not do it here. Certainly in the case of pro shooters, particularly those in the fine art market, there are definite reasons NOT to post or share any images that might turn up in a google image search. (after having discussed this with some folks privately I can understand why any such posts would devalue or negatively affect their published portfolios - you only ever want to see the very best images from a controlled portfolio and anything else drags the body of work down. Social media is a blessing and a curse some times).

Absolutely right, Graham, and one of the few benefits of retirement: you no longer need to be so careful about 'image' and can have fun just playing again.

Rob C

marcmccalmont

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:16 am »

OK how about one image/month!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Graham Welland

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 03:51:17 am »

Marc

On cloud nine? Literally!

Nice image btw. :-)
Graham

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 04:18:49 am »

Does one pano count as one image or as, say, 24?  ;)

Mea culpa... I should be shooting more... now, a lot of my recent images have been devoted to a cute 5 months old little girl, and I have a policy not to post private images in public fora... so... I can hear you begging... but you guys will not see any of these masterpieces!  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 05:55:50 am »

Mea culpa... I should be shooting more... now, a lot of my recent images have been devoted to a cute 5 months old little girl, and I have a policy not to post private images in public fora... so... I can hear you begging... but you guys will not see any of these masterpieces!  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Congrats for your little girl, Bernard! Now, you could always get a cat or hamster and show us some photos!

:D
Francois

Tony Jay

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 06:26:52 am »

Are you planning on banning Jeff Schewe from posting on LuLa on this basis?
I might be wrong but I have never seen a posted image from Jeff in the time I have been a member.

Using Jeff as a good example, a helluva lot of good information is shared (including image critiques) by members who, in my admittedly limited experience, are not big posters of images.

Furthermore, to those who think that individuals who are not regularly posting images are not deserving of the privelages afforded by this forum, come and walk in my shoes for a month or two and then see whether you are able to think clearly to handle a camera appropriately.
I am an ICU physician. In the next 21 days I will be on call for my ICU for 10 nights. These are not shifts. I work my "normal" hours and then have to cover the ICU for emergencies after that. The last six calls I have worked I spent most of night in the ICU on five occasions.
If any of you hotshots, particularly if you are over 40 years of age, think you can do this and still shoot 500-1000 images a week, week in week out, with any expectation of quality please share!

Please check out my history. I love posting images but am very selective in what I post. I also contribute to most of the forum categories as and when I feel I can make a contribution.
This includes critiquing images. Those who read my critiques will note that I tend not to be disparaging. If I can't say anything constructive I won't post a comment. I regard image critique as much more than offering my opinion. It is also a way for me to learn. I closely scrutinize others who make comments to see what their take on the image is. Their insights allow me to learn plenty about photography and what makes a good image.

I actually obtain much pleasure in viewing many of the images posted on this forum. It sustains me during those times when I am unable to get out and shoot for myself.

Possibly the OP was a bit tongue-in-cheek with his suggestion.
I hope so - because this suggestion cannot be actually seriously entertained.

My humble opinion

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:34:54 am by Tony Jay »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:44:43 am »

Comprehensive reading skills FTW…,

… the operative word being "take", not "share".
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Tony Jay

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:49:35 am »

All right spell it out.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:08 am »

Congrats for your little girl, Bernard! Now, you could always get a cat or hamster and show us some photos!

Thank you Francois!

There you go...

I met this little fellow during a typhoon last September in the Izu peninsula, south of Tokyo. He was cold and scared and somehow thinking that climbing on my arm would help his condition...  :)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:13:52 am by BernardLanguillier »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 08:14:41 am »

Marc

Very nice! Did you open the window?  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 08:40:01 am »

Thank you Francois!

There you go...

I met this little fellow during a typhoon last September in the Izu peninsula, south of Tokyo. He was cold and scared and somehow thinking that climbing on my arm would help his condition...  :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Wonderful, I love it. Your excellence is reaching even your living room!
Thanks al lot.
Francois

marcmccalmont

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 11:43:46 am »

Very nice! Did you open the window?  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
No it gets a bit drafty!
The thunderstorm was over Naha, a Narita to Bali flight
Marc

PS Japanese cats definitely have character this one was in Kansai
Marc McCalmont

francois

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 11:59:51 am »

…PS Japanese cats definitely have character this one was in Kansai

Agree 100%. I must visit Japan, I didn't expect cats to be something special there!

:)
Francois
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up