Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Show Images  (Read 2177 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Car Show Images
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:21:00 am »

Sun came out for about a half hour and I took advantage of every second at a "Muscle Car" (lots of horsepower) show.

Welcome to My Parlor (a double side mirror reflection)

'56 Studebaker Hawk

Lead Sled (A very heavy car - this one was handbuilt on a 1951 Hudson Hornet chassis. In its day, it probably weighed over 6,000 lbs (2,727 kilos)

Pure Muscle in Gold and Chrome (Edlebrock 850 CFM Electric Choke Carburetor - more gas in a minute than a Mini in 20 minutes) Note **Modified from manual choke to electric choke as first posted

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:20:39 am by chrisc »
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Richowens

Re: Car Show Images
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:41:32 am »

The carburetor has an electric choke, not manual.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:37:51 am »

The first is well spotted.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:57:21 am »

Electrical or manual, have you noticed how clean everything is in the picture? I'd be surprised if my new car was anything like that when I bought it! Perhaps it's all to do with the magic of chrome: engines seem to be manufactured with very rough finishes these days and make the perfect surface for grime, gunge and spider webs to form, grow and proliferate.

The contemporary designs also suck: you no longer know where the four corners, nose and tail are; there is often a huge gap between hood and windscreen where the wipers are now supposed to live and which then prevents you from parking in avenues because falling blossoms and leaves find their way into said gap and your fingers are always too short or too fat to fish them out when you wash the car. These leaves then have the same function as the finish on the engines and they gather damp and then produce rust! But hey, that keeps the economy moving... whilst killing yours.

Perhaps worse yet, it's increasingly impossible to tell one car from another. At a distance, can anyone place a BMW Series accurately? A Mercedes? Even the SL and SLK are so alike I sometimes walk past them and still wonder... My own Fiesta's shape is echoed in so many different makes that I usually manage to guess wrongly - versions of that horrid, unpainted greyish insert along the lower edge of the rear are now found in many different makes of cars, a perfect, huge money-saver for the builders who no longer bother to paint it and so are able to use it across all colours.

We are all being screwed.

I'd love to see a thread on classics appear! Wish I had access to such image opportunities!.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:17:43 am »

The carburetor has an electric choke, not manual.

Ahso, good catch. I only knew it was an 850 from memory, old as it is - the memory, not the carburetor... :P.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Richowens

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:41 am »

Chris,

I think my memory is older than yours, even AWOL some days. ;D

I grew up with cars like these, helped build lead sleds, built and tuned performance engines, so I have a warm spot in my heart for anything like these.

I would love to see the Hawk, haven't seen one in about 50 years. My 65 Mustang was painted a 56 Studebaker color, Ceramic Green Metallic.

At Rob's request I will post some photos from a show in June. Most of the exhibits were 72 or older.  Good memories :)

I will start a new thread, don't wish to hijack yours.

Rich

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:36:32 am »

Chris,

I think my memory is older than yours, even AWOL some days. ;D

I grew up with cars like these, helped build lead sleds, built and tuned performance engines, so I have a warm spot in my heart for anything like these.

I would love to see the Hawk, haven't seen one in about 50 years. My 65 Mustang was painted a 56 Studebaker color, Ceramic Green Metallic.

At Rob's request I will post some photos from a show in June. Most of the exhibits were 72 or older.  Good memories :)

I will start a new thread, don't wish to hijack yours.
Rich

Great! Look forward to enjoying those things. Ah - street/lead(?) sleds: what exactly is the reasoning behind the concept? I understand rebuilding to better-than-factory standard, but not those lowering things - after all, they don't race, do they? Or do they? I'm not trying to be smartass about this; I really want to know what it's about.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up